HDD for old Compaq Armada M300

Old February 9th 07, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Matamanolos

Default HDD for old Compaq Armada M300

Hi, please I need help. The HDD on my old Pentium 2 Compaq Armada
M300 is dying and I want a new one.
Can anyone tell me what kind of 3.5 HDD goes well with my notebook?
The only thing I want is that I can find it easily at a store (I live in
South America) and if possible it have some more capacity, like 30G or so.
Thanks a lot in advance. I copy here the actual HDD info:

IBM Travelstar www.ibm.com/harddrive
MODEL DBCA-206480 6.49GB ATA/IDE 5V 500mA 4200 RPM SEP-99
13424CYL 15HEADS 63SEC/T
P/N: 25L2714 MLC: F41940
Old February 9th 07, 05:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Feb 8, 3:36 pm, Matamanolos wrote:
Hi, please I need help. The HDD on my old Pentium 2 Compaq Armada
M300 is dying and I want a new one.
Can anyone tell me what kind of 3.5 HDD goes well with my notebook?
The only thing I want is that I can find it easily at a store (I live in
South America) and if possible it have some more capacity, like 30G or so.
Thanks a lot in advance. I copy here the actual HDD info:

IBM Travelstar www.ibm.com/harddrive
MODEL DBCA-206480 6.49GB ATA/IDE 5V 500mA 4200 RPM SEP-99
13424CYL 15HEADS 63SEC/T
P/N: 25L2714 MLC: F41940

Standard IDE 2.5" ide drive. Googling on "m300 Hard drive" turns up
drives as large as 100GB.

So it probably has the 137GB limit. Anything under that size should bo
OK.

Old February 15th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

You won't know until you try it, or someone else responds back that they have
installed a hard drive of a certain size. Neither HP/Compaq nor any of the
other name-brand manufacturers bother to disclose the BIOS hard drive
limitations on their systems, whether notebook or desktop, so it is almost
always a guess.

Given the relative age of the M300 and its BIOS, I am pretty certain that the
system will accept a 30GB drive, just under one of the famous hard-coded BIOS
limits of 32GB... Ben Myers

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:26:31 -0300, Matamanolos wrote:

Matamanolos wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:36 pm, Matamanolos wrote:
Hi, please I need help. The HDD on my old Pentium 2 Compaq Armada
M300 is dying and I want a new one.

Standard IDE 2.5" ide drive. Googling on "m300 Hard drive" turns up
drives as large as 100GB.

So it probably has the 137GB limit. Anything under that size should bo
OK.

Thank you very much. I don't know about notebooks and I was afraid of
any hardware limitations.

Uh. I have to ask again. Some guy who has a 80G Toshiba HDD told me that
I can't put a big disk on my notebook because the Bios wouldn't support it.
I don't see any settings on the Bios to let me change the HDD
configuration (cylinders, sectors, etc). Probably he's right and I have
to go with a small HDD, 6G or 12G maybe.

Thanks!

Old February 15th 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Feb 14, 5:26 pm, Matamanolos wrote:
Matamanolos wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:36 pm, Matamanolos wrote:
Hi, please I need help. The HDD on my old Pentium 2 Compaq Armada
M300 is dying and I want a new one.

Standard IDE 2.5" ide drive. Googling on "m300 Hard drive" turns up
drives as large as 100GB.

So it probably has the 137GB limit. Anything under that size should bo
OK.

Thank you very much. I don't know about notebooks and I was afraid of
any hardware limitations.

Uh. I have to ask again. Some guy who has a 80G Toshiba HDD told me that
I can't put a big disk on my notebook because the Bios wouldn't support it.
I don't see any settings on the Bios to let me change the HDD
configuration (cylinders, sectors, etc). Probably he's right and I have
to go with a small HDD, 6G or 12G maybe.

Thanks!

Fwiw, It my search the first time, i also found a couple discussions
where people with your laptop mention successfully using 40gb drives
and larger with that laptop.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...98982+28353475

This is the link for the 100GB drive i came across. Only thing
different is they're selling it pre-mounted in the caddy.

http://www.cmsproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=555

Old February 16th 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Matamanolos

Uh. I have to ask again. Some guy who has a 80G Toshiba HDD told me that
I can't put a big disk on my notebook because the Bios wouldn't support it.
I don't see any settings on the Bios to let me change the HDD
configuration (cylinders, sectors, etc). Probably he's right and I have
to go with a small HDD, 6G or 12G maybe.

Fwiw, It my search the first time, i also found a couple discussions
where people with your laptop mention successfully using 40gb drives
and larger with that laptop.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...98982+28353475

This is the link for the 100GB drive i came across. Only thing
different is they're selling it pre-mounted in the caddy.

http://www.cmsproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=555

(when I said "Some guy who has..." I wanted to say "Some guy who has a
HDD to sell me")

Thanks a lot Paul! And to Ben Myers too!
I'll keep looking and with some luck maybe I came here again with an
answer... One bad thing is that it seems that there are several
"families" of Armada M300 that goes to Pentium III models, and mine is
only a PII, so I have less odds.