Source for Used Parts??

Old February 28th 04, 05:06 PM
JHEM

Default Source for Used Parts??

Anyone got a link to a good source for pulled Compaq parts? (HH? Mr.
Scales?)

I still need a set of display hinges for a Presario 700 (722US) with the
floppy display syndrome.

I thought I had lucked into a set at www.thecompqstore.com, but they're for
a 1700 series machine.

Please don't suggest HP-Parts, they want more than $300 for a set of hinges
for a laptop that's barely worth that much.

Regards,

James

Old February 28th 04, 05:16 PM
Kevin Childers

Try www.epcusa.com or some of the Ebay auctions they have links to.
They seem to have a lot of Compaq stuff, but the used parts side is pretty
hit or miss. A friend found some hinges for his Compaq (sorry, I'm not sure
what model) on Ebay by bidding on a complete system with other major issues.
As a bonus he got a PCMCIA card of some sort and some additional memory for
around $40.00.

Hope this helps, I'm looking for a case top for a ThinkPad myself.

KC

Old February 28th 04, 09:12 PM
JHEM

Kevin Childers wrote:
Try www.epcusa.com or some of the Ebay auctions they have links
to. They seem to have a lot of Compaq stuff, but the used parts side
is pretty hit or miss. A friend found some hinges for his Compaq
(sorry, I'm not sure what model) on Ebay by bidding on a complete
system with other major issues. As a bonus he got a PCMCIA card of
some sort and some additional memory for around $40.00.

Thanks Kevin, I'll check them out. Found a few "parts" machines on eBay, but
most have had the display removed WITH the hinges and the sellers haven't
reponded to my queries.

Hope this helps, I'm looking for a case top for a ThinkPad myself.

What model? I might have one lying about. You can email me at James at
thinkpads dot com.

Regards,

James

Old February 28th 04, 10:15 PM
Kevin Childers

IBM ThinkPad 380Z
Type: 2635
Model: JBU

It's an odd deal, but a friends exgirlfriend and mother to his son,
remarried a real jerk. He wouldn't give the ThinkPad to his stepson because
he lives with his dad. Wanted $500.00 for it. (He got it for free when his
former company folded). But the mom traded it to my wife for an older
TV/VCR she could watch in her shop. I convinced the wife that the only
righteous thing to do is hook the kid up with it, if I can get a new case
top on the cheap.

There are cracks radiating from the corners of the hinges towards the
center, about 3 inches long. I have searched for a retrofit or some fix for
this, but no luck so far. I have seen a few laptops with aluminum plates
attached (glued?). I wonder if this is some sort of a solution from the
manufacturers of homegrown?

KC