Hyper-threading for mobile P4: when?

Old July 31st 03, 08:18 PM
Mike Smith

Default Hyper-threading for mobile P4: when?

David Wolinski wrote:

I'm considering a laptop (desktop replacement) purchase in the next
month or
two and was wondering whether it was something worth waiting for.
Putting aside power consumption issues, can I assume that the
best-available
mobile P-4 gives better performance than the best-available P-M?

AIUI, a P-M at 1.7 GHz performs roughly somehwhere in the neighborhood
of a P-4 at 2.4 GHz.

--
Mike Smith

Old August 1st 03, 02:36 PM
Alex Johnson

Mike Smith wrote:
David Wolinski wrote:

I'm considering a laptop (desktop replacement) purchase in the next
month or
two and was wondering whether it was something worth waiting for.
Putting aside power consumption issues, can I assume that the
best-available
mobile P-4 gives better performance than the best-available P-M?

AIUI, a P-M at 1.7 GHz performs roughly somehwhere in the neighborhood
of a P-4 at 2.4 GHz.

--
Mike Smith

The 1.6GHz Pentium-M performs roughly the same (better on 2/3 of the
benchmarks I've read) than the P4 2.4GHz. Don't forget 1.8GHz with
double the cache comes out this winter, increasing to 2GHz before next
summer. I've also heard from several web sources of reputable or
semi-reputable levels that Pentium 4M is being discontinued in favor of
Pentium-M for low power, light notebooks and desktop Pentium 4 in
"portable" desktop replacements.

Alex
--
My words are my own. They represent no other; they belong to no other.
Don't read anything into them or you may be required to compensate me

Does hyper threading need dual-channel DDR RAM to work? Jacko Asus Motherboards 12 October 7th 04 09:14 AM
P4C800-E Deluxe Hyper Threading Problem?? Darren Asus Motherboards 6 July 24th 04 04:18 AM
P4: Hyper Threading not active? Bekin Rata General 9 May 22nd 04 09:23 PM
Hyper Threading Andrew Dell Computers 5 February 29th 04 05:18 PM
P4P800 DeLuxe, WinXP and Hyper Threading Fabio De Robertis Asus Motherboards 7 January 27th 04 11:00 PM