winchester 3000+ running badly

Old March 2nd 05, 11:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:11:18 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

below is a cpu-z dump. it all seems normal and is running on an asus
a8v-deluxe rev1 with a new install of xp-pro, I have 1gig pc3200 (2x512).

problem is that this machine is running worse than my old xp2800/nf7-s
system.

What do you mean by running worse? You need to be specific.

are there any tweaks or configuration settings that will improve this
other than overclocking? I have the latest asus-a8v files

It looks like you have the cpu running at default speed. So that shouldn't
be the problem.

NameAMD Athlon 64 3000+ Code NameWinchester SpecificationAMD Athlon(tm)
64
Processor 3000+ Family / Model / SteppingF F 0 Extended Family / ModelF
1F Brand ID4 PackageSocket 939 Core SteppingDH8-D0 Technology0.09 µ
Supported Instructions SetsMMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!,
SSE, SSE2, x86-64 CPU Clock Speed1802.3 MHz Clock multiplierx 9.0 HTT
Bus Frequency200.3 MHz L1 Data Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64
Bytes line size L1 Instruction Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64
Bytes line size L2 Cache512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes
line size L2 Speed1802.3 MHz (Full) L2 LocationOn Chip L2 Data Prefetch
Logicyes L2 Bus Width128 bits
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are you sure you have the ram running dual channel?

The very first thing I'd do with this setup is to lower the base ram speed
to 133MHz, lower the HT link to 3 or 4, raise vcore by .1v, and then set
the system bus (fsb) to 266. Now you've got a 3800+ instead of a 3000+.
Your ram is back to 200MHz, and the HT link is either 3x266, or 4x266
depending on which worked (4 should).

Can't tell you why it seems slower than your old XP 2800+ because you
don't say specifically what part of it is slower. But the above will at
least speed up the cpu.:-)

Old March 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
General Schvantzkoph

The quickest way to find out if you are running single channel or dual
channel is to reboot the system and watch the messages from the BIOS, it
will tell you if you are running single or dual channel. I have a new
Compaq system which uses the MSI K8N Neo2 motherboard. Compaq populated
the DIMMs slots incorrectly on my system so that it was running single
channel instead of dual channel. I discovered it when I plugged in
additional memory. The new DIMMs are larger than the ones that came with
the system, when I plugged them into the free sockets my system wouldn't
boot because the DIMM pairs weren't matched. Upon close examination of the
motherboard documentation I realized that Compaq had plugged two DIMMs
into the same memory channels and left the other channel unpopulated.

Old March 2nd 05, 11:18 PM
LBJGH

Even at the default speed the a64 should smoke the 2800+. Was that
3dmark2001/2003/2005?

3dmark 2003/2005 are GPU limited while 2001 is directly affected by the cpu.
Can you post comparison links from the futuremark.com website?

my 2800+ 3dmark score was 6500, and my 64-3000 score is 2500. I'm pretty
sure it is the computer, not my GPU that is holding the score low, cpu fps
is kept at 1fps while gpu scores are 15fps, last I saw the ram was
detected at dual channel BTW.

Old March 3rd 05, 08:13 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:00:07 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

I am having difficulty discovering how to set the dram speed to 133, of the
ratios available to select, 3/2 gets me the lowest to 150mhz, but nothing
allows me to manually set a ratio close to 133mhz. am I missing something?

Advanced-CPU Configuration-Mempry Configuration-etc.