Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Old January 15th 05, 06:37 PM
David Mills

"JAD" wrote in message
how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is HPA?

Old January 15th 05, 06:57 PM
JAD

host protected area

HPA is defined as a reserved area for data storage outside the normal
operating file system. This area is hidden from the operating system
and the file system, and is normally used for specialized
applications. Systems may wish to store configuration data or to save
memory to the hard disk drive device in a location that the operating
systems cannot change.

I believe this is the area of the disk that holds emulation or the
recognized area for performing a boot(source)

Old January 15th 05, 07:12 PM
Apollo

"JAD" wrote in message
how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not
support HPA

The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is
HPA?

Forget the HPA for now.
All you need to do is;
1) set the bios order to CDROM first
2) install a floppy drive temporarily
3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which
driver to load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6,
so be prepared for the wait.
5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.

For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$
will fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

HTH

--
Ian

Old January 15th 05, 07:16 PM
David Mills

"Apollo" wrote in message

Forget the HPA for now.
All you need to do is;
1) set the bios order to CDROM first
2) install a floppy drive temporarily
3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which driver to
load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6, so be prepared for
the wait.
5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.

For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$ will
fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

Cool, thanks for the step by step info.

Old January 15th 05, 07:17 PM
David Mills

"Apollo" wrote in message

Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
going to work????

Old January 15th 05, 07:34 PM
JAD

thus the reason NOT to IGNORE hpa...............I can say with as much
certainty as I can, without putting my hands on the rig, that your DVD
does not support booting.............common compatibility problem.

"David Mills" wrote in message
news

Old January 15th 05, 08:20 PM
Ginchy

When you set the bios to boot from cd rom you ARE saving this change to
cmos?

Some bios need to be set to CD ROM and NOT to the drive letter of the cd
rom!

Old January 15th 05, 08:57 PM
ToolPackinMama

Richard Dower wrote:
"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...

I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.

I agree, FDDs are stil important. On the rare occasion when you need
one, nothing else wll do - plus, they are cheap. IMHO there is no
excuse to exclude them.

But that's a separate issue.

Old January 15th 05, 09:03 PM
ToolPackinMama

If the CD-ROM or equivalent won't allow itself to be used as a boot
device, then you are in a tough spot. You have to use a different one
to load XP.

This is a naughty thing to do, but you can buy a CD-ROM, use it to load
the OS, then return it to the store for your money back.

Better yet, if it works, keep it, cos you might need it again one day.

Computer Boots and Locks Up after 5 Seconds or so (Also, Boot Floppy Disk Issues)... Christopher Kurtis Koeber General 1 July 11th 04 09:18 PM
Computer won't boot ArchNacho General 5 October 4th 03 05:24 PM
help: computer won't boot Rob General 3 October 4th 03 12:14 PM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM