Auto Updates Problem

Old June 14th 10, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Giannoni

Default Auto Updates Problem

No, it's the same two updates. I ran the "fix" again and now all's
well, but I know it's not going to last, etc. Really appreciate your
help ...

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:53:41 +0100, "123Jim"
wrote:

"Steve Giannoni" wrote in message
.. .
Note ! - After one day, the problem has returned ! ...

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:57:51 -0400, Steve Giannoni
wrote:

A yellow icon shield is now showing in the task bar along with the
time and other small icons. Clicking reveals the "updates are ready to
install" message. "Running" the icon results in an apparently normal
updating, but the yellow icon simply returns after. System is a P-IV
running Windows XP home. Any help will be greatly appreciated and
thanks ...

Are you sure it's not just another update downloading? the service packs are
pretty big, so are the .net updates.

Old June 14th 10, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"Steve Giannoni" wrote in message
news
No, it's the same two updates. I ran the "fix" again and now all's
well, but I know it's not going to last, etc. Really appreciate your
help ...

That 'fixit' routine not only resets the update program files, it deletes
any downloaded, but not yet installed updates. These can be large downloads
and must be downloaded again . therefore you can still be looking at the
yellow shield for a few hours depending on your connection speed.

There is another possibility .. I recently updated an HP laptop that could
not download updates .. slightly different symptoms to yours .. but it
turned out that some crappy HP update software was interfering with the
Windows update service ... I had to stop the HP update software (in task
manager) to allow MS update to do its thing.

Old June 14th 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Giannoni

The yellow shield only reappeared on both systems when I powered up
this AM. The "fix" has gotten rid of it for now, as it had yesterday.
It will probably stay away until I power up tomorrow ...

Old June 14th 10, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"Steve Giannoni" wrote in message
The yellow shield only reappeared on both systems when I powered up
this AM. The "fix" has gotten rid of it for now, as it had yesterday.
It will probably stay away until I power up tomorrow ...

Why not go he
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

and see which updates are still required .. go ahead and download and
install them at the above

Old June 14th 10, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Giannoni

OK, this turned up the same two updates, which I let install. I expect
the yellow shield will be back probably tomorrow though ...

Old June 15th 10, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

wrote:

A yellow icon shield is now showing in the task bar along with the
time and other small icons. Clicking reveals the "updates are ready to
install" message. "Running" the icon results in an apparently normal
updating, but the yellow icon simply returns after. System is a P-IV
running Windows XP home. Any help will be greatly appreciated and
thanks ...

OK couple of things to try:
1
Check: Method 3: Install the update in Safe Mode
he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

2
Try is removing .NET in add-remove programs, reinstall it from Microsoft,
and then try windows update again. Take note of the .NET versions you are
removing so that you can re-install them from he
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...type=s_ basic

Old June 15th 10, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Steve Giannoni" wrote in message
Yellow icon is back this AM with the same 2 updates ! ...

What updates are they?
How much space is on your C: drive?

Old June 15th 10, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

wrote:

A yellow icon shield is now showing in the task bar along with the
time and other small icons. Clicking reveals the "updates are ready to
install" message. "Running" the icon results in an apparently normal
updating, but the yellow icon simply returns after. System is a P-IV
running Windows XP home. Any help will be greatly appreciated and
thanks ...

OK couple of things to try:
1
Check: Method 3: Install the update in Safe Mode
he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

2
Try is removing .NET in add-remove programs, reinstall it from Microsoft,
and then try windows update again. Take note of the .NET versions you are
removing so that you can re-install them from he
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...type=s_ basic

Check the advice here about re-installing .NET frameworks .. they must be
done in the correct order:
4. Download the following components:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

note: the link to the '.Net Cleanup Utility' does not work on the above
page, so go ahead to add-remove programs in control panel.

Old June 15th 10, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Giannoni

Updates :

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and
Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security
Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86
(KB979909)

C: drive is only 1/2 used ...