Just ordered this setup from Newegg

Old June 18th 05, 11:19 PM
J.C. Scott

Default Just ordered this setup from Newegg

I'm hoping I made the right buying decisions here regarding a new system I
plan on putting together, and any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated
here. I basically had a $2000 budget, and wanted to get something geared
more toward gaming than not, so here's what I got:

Intel Socket T (LGA 775) 915P ATX Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 650 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model
BX80547PG3400F

2 Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Unbuffered System
Memory Model CT12864AA53E

3 Seagate Barracuda's at 7200.8 ST3200826AS 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150

Rosewill RP500 ATX 500W Power Supply

ATI 100-435400 Radeon X850XTPE 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface
Sound Card

LG IEEE1394/ USB2.0 External DVD Burner Model GSA-5163D

SAMSUNG IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model TS-H352A/BEBP

CHENMING CMUI-601AECB-U Charcoal Black 1.0mm SECC Server Computer Case

With shipping, I ended up being slightly over budget at $2,031 and I hope it
was worth it. I could've gone with AMD but given I've had good luck with
Intel so far, I didn't want to deviate just yet, although I'm pretty sure
I'll give AMD a whirl next time just because I've heard really good things.
That aside, everything seemed like fairly solid choices to me. Anyway, any
thoughts?

Old June 18th 05, 11:57 PM
Derek Baker

"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. For gaming you should definitely have gone AMD. For less than the price
of that 650 you could have had an Athlon 64 3800+ that will beat it for
gaming: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2353&p=9

--
Derek

Old June 19th 05, 12:33 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:19:28 GMT, "J.C. Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Seems OK. Its a matter of taste. You probably ended up paying more for
the INTEL and the fact your got 4200 mem , Sata 150 HDs, a closer to
cutting edge graphics card , external DVD burner and internal DVD
driver.

You would have saved a bundle probably by going for an AMD, PATA HDs,
800XL ATI , internal DVD burner but its your money so if you like your
choices thats all that counts.

Old June 19th 05, 12:33 AM
J.C. Scott

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Nice. I suppose I probably should've given AMD more serious consideration,
perhaps. All I've ever owned are Intel based processors, so there's some
nervousness there in terms of unfamiliarity with AMD. I'll probably be
upgrading again in a year or two and when I do I'll try AMD for a change and
see how that goes. Old habits die hard though, unfortunately.

Old June 19th 05, 12:35 AM
Derek Baker

"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the Rosewill brand, but looking at newegg it seems pretty cheap
for a 500watt unit. There's no point spending all that cash and sticking it
with a cheap PSU.

--
Derek

Old June 19th 05, 12:45 AM
J.C. Scott

wrote:

[...]

It was definitely my mistake for not enquiring *before* I ordered. I do
agree that the 800XT would've probably been a better buy, given that there's
very little difference in performance between it and the 850XT from what
I've read. Also, I would've bought an internal burner for sure but I
couldn't find that model as an internal and definitely wanted that brand
considering the glowing review it received from CDFreaks.com.

Old June 19th 05, 12:50 AM
J.C. Scott

"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I tend to agree. The Rosewill was recommended by a friend and I've had
second thoughts about it. The more I consider it, the more I think maybe I
should've ordered a Thermaltake or Antec, perhaps. I still could, I suppose.
Any particular recommendations given my specs?

Old June 19th 05, 01:27 AM
Derek Baker

"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I've recently brought a Seasonic for quietness, but if that's not important
to you, this looks nice:

Derek

Old June 19th 05, 07:42 AM
J.C. Scott

"J.C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

What do you think of the Antec NeoPower 480?

Old June 19th 05, 03:28 PM
Semi Head

This would be the best med. priced choice for a 500 watt model.

FSP Group (Fortron Source)
AX500-A
ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V -

http://www2.newegg.com/product/produ...82E16817104934