Groaning fan sound on startup - PB650

Old July 31st 03, 11:41 PM
TonyG

Default Groaning fan sound on startup - PB650

My machine has a groaning fan sound when it is cold. It goes away maybe
after 5 minutes, sometimes after 30 minutes or more. It has been doing this
for over a year, so I don't think it's a critical problem, just really,
really annoying. I tend to want to kick it to shut it up, which can't be
good ;-p.

Anyway, I cannot find the source of the noise. The power supply has been
changed within that time, so I don't think it can be that. I can't see the
CPU fan (PIII-650) ... could it be that noisy? I have a feeling the TNT
Ultra 32MB graphics card might also have a fan on it??? Hard to see also at
this point without gutting the case.

Has anyone else had noisy fan problems on PB machines? Is there a common
cause to look for?

By the way, is the Platinum 650 sold in Australia the same as the PB650
people talk about on this group? Mine has a PIII-650, MS-6199VA M/B and
168-pin PC133 RAM. Someone mentioned 72-pin RAM on a PB650...

TonyG

Old August 1st 03, 02:54 AM
thefly

yup i have a similar machine to yours and have a noisy fan on startup
too, if you look on the mobo there should be a small fan, thats where
my noise is coming from, quite simple to just unplug that fan but I
haven't tested it unplugged for more than a day but no problems
occurred, I just reconnected it out of worrying. A good cleaning of it
also worked well for a few days..

Old August 1st 03, 03:14 AM
Elector

"thefly" wrote in message
yup i have a similar machine to yours and have a noisy fan on startup
too, if you look on the mobo there should be a small fan, thats where
my noise is coming from, quite simple to just unplug that fan but I
haven't tested it unplugged for more than a day but no problems
occurred, I just reconnected it out of worrying. A good cleaning of it
also worked well for a few days..

You can also spray a few drops of the PTFE (Teflon) in the bearings. But the
fans are cheap considering the damage that can be done to an overheated
system.
Better to be safe now then sorry later.

I hpe that helped?

Elector

Old August 1st 03, 07:09 PM
Anthony

"thefly" wrote in
message
yup i have a similar machine to yours and have a

noisy fan on startup
too, if you look on the mobo there should be a

small fan, thats where
my noise is coming from, quite simple to just

unplug that fan but I
haven't tested it unplugged for more than a day

but no problems
occurred, I just reconnected it out of worrying.

A good cleaning of it
also worked well for a few days..

GOD NO, please don't unplug any fan from the MOBO,
they are there for a reason, and it could be a
VERY costly repair if your MOBO over heats. If it
is the MOBO fan that is making the noise, buy a
new one and replace the noisy one...they are
cheap!!!! Or do as elector said an try a few
drops of PTFE (Teflon) in the bearings, and see
if that fixes the problem.
--
Regards,
Anthony

Old August 2nd 03, 01:28 AM
RTFM

GOD NO, please don't unplug any fan from the MOBO, they are there for a
reason, and it could be a VERY costly repair if your MOBO over heats. If it
is the MOBO fan that is making the noise, buy a new one and replace the
noisy one...they are
cheap!!!!
--
That fan is there for a good reason -- to keep your pc from cooking itself.
Fans are very inexpensive. Even the big retailers have add-ons and

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Old August 2nd 03, 02:09 AM
Elector

"RTFM" wrote in message
GOD NO, please don't unplug any fan from the MOBO, they are there for a
reason, and it could be a VERY costly repair if your MOBO over heats. If

it
is the MOBO fan that is making the noise, buy a new one and replace the
noisy one...they are
cheap!!!!
--
That fan is there for a good reason -- to keep your pc from cooking

itself.
Fans are very inexpensive. Even the big retailers have add-ons and
replacement units. It the fan has reached the end of its life, consider an
inexpensive UPGRADE -- but NEVER disconnect the fan.

Here we go again, no one needs your stealing the other posters answers. But
since your a liar and troll. It does not surprise me that you did so as you
have always done. go to that losers group of yours kook.

Elector

No FAQ's are kept by you kook boy. Stll posting to yourself loser?

Old August 2nd 03, 03:36 PM
Elector

"RTFM" wrote in message
Wasted non auto generated reply from kook A. Grayson Walker removed

Hey Loser, so you had to come back and start up with the troll posts
again huh? Mr. Lying troll, and phony. I see your still cutting and
pasting the threads from here for that loser group of yours on Yahoo.
Like I told you before loser "I am not going anywhere in a hurry and I
will make sure your taken down and out of this group" its that simple.
But being your a Cuban Boat loser from the 70's and a kook no one is
giving credence to your packard bell anything.

So get lost loser. Again ANTHONY is the official Packard Bell keeper
of the FAQ's he has been here much longer than you will ever think to
be here and the long time members of this group all know that. No one
wants to be at a loser group like yours that has nothing but attacks
on my person and reposts of this group since you have no life of your
own that is not lied about or stolen.

I see that the IRS is looking into my complaint. That should be fun
huh Mr. International Bull**** Business Man. Now your claiming offices
in Russia and Brazil. What a loser.

Good bye troll...

Elector

View Anthony's Only Official ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL FAQ page @
http://pbfaq.tripod.com
__
If you want a place to post without the troll of this group join he

After your approved for membership, no questions or foolish call back
interviews are required and your posting is automatic and uncensored.
No foolish polls, no flames, no trolls.Just a place to meet with
friends and converse as you see fit. Offensive posts however will be
removed.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:42 PM
Simon

"Elector" wrote in message

"RTFM" wrote in message
[...]

LoL - are you sure its not orifices rather than offices my friend?

Old August 2nd 03, 05:23 PM
Elector

"Simon" wrote in message
LoL - are you sure its not orifices rather than offices my friend?

Could very well be, orifices since he (RTFM,G, Arthur Grayson Walker) has no
one but himself. Oh a side note at that FDLE (Floridia Department of Law
Enforcement) http://www.fdle.com is a sex ofenders list and there is a
Arthur Walker listed from Ft. Lauderdale not saying its him but you go and
decide for yourself. Funny how it likes to quote that web site at his Yahoo
Groups loser site as the basis of his screening process. Also note kook boy
is now insuating "I am a spammer and email harvester" Ha ha all anyone would
have to do is just google my posting handle for the last 10+ years and would
see how stupid kook boy walker really is. Like I said he is a bozo, proven
liar, and kook.

Elector