500SE - Upgrade processor?

Old June 6th 04, 03:35 PM
bootsy

Well, I decided to give the P4 2.8Ghz/533 processor a shot. Even though
Gateway's information on their website says that this motherboard supports
533 processors, it appears the BIOS DOES NOT! The system starts to boot and
recognizes the processor as a 533 and says it can't run it at 533 but at
2.1Ghz/400Mhz. Intel also stated this motherboard supports 533 but it
appears Gateway may have crippled this system with this BIOS. What the f*&%
is up with that?!

This type of thing is all the more reason to dump these damn computer makers
and build your own. I boxed the processor back up and returned it so I'm
out the restocking fee. 2.1 was not a big enough improvement over 1.8 to
justify the cost of this processor.

"bootsy" wrote in message
Hmmm... NewEgg and ZipZoomFly has a 15 day return policy and a 15%
restocking fee for CPUs. Wonder if it's worth $25-35 to try a P4 3.06?
Anybody ever dealt with either one for a CPU refund? Simple and straight
forward or do they put you through the wringer?

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
The BIOS ID is the key: RG84510A.15A.0057.P19. According to the Intel

web
site,
the board is one of the following, all of which use the same BIOS:

Intel® Desktop Board D845GBV
Intel® Desktop Board D845GEBV2
Intel® Desktop Board D845GERG2
Intel® Desktop Board D845GRG

These boards have minor variations from one another. The biggest

variation is
full ATX vs. micro ATX form factor. Figure out which board you have, if

at all
possible. Forget(!!) any info from Gateway. The Intel specs are the
controlling documents, and Gateway sloppily repeats any info from the

Intel
docs, hence the discrepancy about memory capacity.

Go to www.intel.com , and look at the specs for these boards to figure

out
which
one you've got. Once again, the Intel-supplied AA number is the

controlling
factor to define exactly which processor the board supports. The bad

news
is
that Gateway (and other name brands) sometimes demand that Intel not

affix
the
AA# sticker to the motherboard, so you don't know exactly which revision

you've
got.

You are in luck because the AA A86577-300 number is still on the board.

... Ben Myers

On Sun, 9 May 2004 13:54:55 -0400, "bootsy" wrote:

The Gateway part number is 2517198 (per their documentation of the

original
system). I don't see a sticker on the motherbard with this number but
that's what they say I got. Now when I look at the Gateway support
documents for this motherboard (see link below), it clearly states it
supports 533MHz P4 processors. But the same specs also say it supports

2GB
of memory and that is wrong according to the same spec sheet. Doesn't
anybody proof read stuff anymore?

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...231sp143.shtml

I've got the RG84510A.15A.0057.P19 BIOS which is that latest BIOS on

the
Gateway site. In the install instructions for this BIOS there is some
documentation on the changes for P19 and this line appears as one of

the
fixes:

"* Fixed issue of HT branding not displayed when HT processor is in

use."

Now, HT is Hyper Threading and that is ONLY available on the P4
3.06GHz/533MHz processor. Is it logical to conclude that this BIOS
therefore supports the 3.06/533 processor? Or am I crazed? DAMN

Gateway
for not specifying exactly what processors are supported in their BIOS
documention! Just too stinking logical I guess.

There is an Intel marking directly on the motherboard: Intel Type

D845GRG
but I can't find it ont he Intel web site. There is also a white

sticker
with "4000792" and "ABRG23141681 AA A86577-300".

Should I risk getting a new 533 processor (2.8 or 3.06)? What do you

think
the chances are of it being recognized correctly? 50-50%? This REALLY
shouldn't be so difficult. Of course Gateway has no vested interest in
keeping my system slogging along longer with more horsepower. But it

does
leave a bad taste in my mouth that they *might* render my investment

less
useful or prematurely obsolete.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Gateway's response, sadly, is consistent with the policies of most

other
name-brand computers. They give a warranty for what they sell you,

but
void the
warranty for CPU and operating system upgrades. None of the name

brands
wants
to bother with upgrades any more, even selling them. Your out of

warranty
already anyway, so their response amounts to a large pile of cow

pies.

Once again, identify the motherboard model EXACTLY. Open up the

chassis
and
write down the presumed Intel AA number as well as determining the

BIOS
ID.
That is the only way you'll get a straight answer about what is

possible
for
your system.

BTW, if you want to go above 512MB, you'll need to pull one or both

sticks
of
DDR, replacing them with higher capacity. But, I agree that 512MB is
probably
OK for most use... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:42:54 -0400, "bootsy"

wrote:

Geez, I was impressed with Gateways first email response but when I

sent
back asking whether the P4 2.4 could be a 533 versus a 400 I got

this
response:

" unfortunately Gateway doesn't suggest and support processor and
motherboard upgradation or replacement, as this voids the present
warranty with the computer. The very reason is that the

configuration
of computer solely depends upon motherboard and processor. Even if
computer is upgraded, even with a compatible processor and/or
motherboard, the rest of the computer configuration changes.

Drives
and
devices connected to the motherboard start getting altogether

different
inputs and give different outputs. In short, the communication

between
processor and rest of the computer devices changes very much. Many
times this change is either unexpected or unanswerable.

There are many other ways to improve the performance of your

computer.
Simply, upgrading memory makes it run faster, as there would be

more
room for programs to stay while running. Moreover, you can upgrade

the
video card that would make graphics display faster. These two up
gradations would definitely increase the performance."

The first paragraph contradicts the first email I received and most

of
this
is a bunch of malarkey! I've got 512MB of memory now and that is

fine
and
the two DIMM slots are full. This person obviously didn't bother

looking
at
my serial number because I have been out of warranty now for 8

months.
He
doesn's appear to know the 500SE too well either because Gateway in

it's
infinite wisdom didn't put the damn AGP connector on the motherboard

so I
doubt a PCI video card is going to be an improvement!

Anybody know of a good place that sells CPUs that has a good return
policy?
Getting a straight answer is not going well.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Either by running Sisoft's Sandra or another utility, or by

quickly(!)
writing
down info when the computer is first powered on, find out the

EXACT
motherboard
BIOS ID. This, along with any BIOS update, will help to better

define
the
upper
limit on processor speed with the board.

I have taken other Intel-made boards (even a Gateway D845HV OEM

mATX
board
flashed with a generic Intel BIOS using sleight of hand) and

installed
up
to a
2.8GHz Celeron when neither the original spec nor the spec update

does
not
describe a processor this fast. As good as Intel specs are (IMHO,

the
best
motherboard specs in the biz), the "paper" PDF specs are not

revised
fanatically
to reflect the lastest in supported processor speeds. Often, the

Intel
web site
DOES contain an up-to-date list of supported processors.

You're probably right. A 2.4GHz Pentium 4 is hardly worth the

bother,
given its
street price of over $100... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:50:58 -0400, "bootsy"

wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ben. I was thinking the same thing on the
processor
difference since there was such a big price difference. The

premium
must
be
for the HT capability of the 3.06 but will that really do

anything
for
me
or
is it just Intel marketing hype to bolster their bottom line?

I looked through the processors that Gateway sold with this
motherboard
and
it doesn't look like they went this high. That concerned me

since
was
concerned the BIOS might not support it. For the heck of it, I

sent
email
to Gateway support and got a very quick answer. They indicate

the
maximum
processor speed is 2.4GHz. Damn. Now I'm not sure I want to do

it
for a
2.4GHz processor. Of course the BIOS info file for the latest

BIOS
doesn't
say anything on what the BIOS will support.

Has anybody actually tried a processor over 2.4GHz? I really

don't
want
risk nearly 200 clams and not have the processor recognized.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

message
All I can say for sure is that the 206MHz difference between

3.06
and
2.8
is not
worth $55. That's about 7% difference in raw CPU power,

negligible
when
memory
accesses, disk accesses, network traffic, and other factors are
considered.

I think that the 533MHz bus processors will be around for a

while.
Will
the
prices go up or down? I don't know for sure. The real

question
ascertain is
whether or not they are still in production by Intel. As long

as
they
are, the
price will remain stable or drop a bit. As soon as production
stops,
the
prices
will ease back up again.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 May 2004 02:50:45 -0400, "bootsy"

wrote:

I've got a Gateway 500SE with the Nimitz motherboard and a P4
1.8A/400
GHz
processor. I have increased system memory to 512MB of PC-2100
(DDR266).
The system is about 1.5 years old and has the latest BIOS
installed.
One
of
the comments in the latest BIOS alluded to a fix for a
Hyper-threading
processor so I am assuming the board supports HT.

The documentation on the Gateway site for this motherboard
indicates
it
supports both 400 and 533 system bus speeds. It has the Intel

845G
chipset.
I am thinking it might be a good time to max out the processor

on
this
puppy
before the processors start becoming scarce or too expensive.

Am I
rushing
it or will these 533MHz processors be around for a while

longer?

I'm thinking of getting either a 3.06GHz/533 with Hyper

Threading
(Newegg
$221 w/free shipping) or a 2.8GHz/533 (Newegg $166 w/free
shipping).
Not
sure whether the HT is worth all that money. What's the

concensus
there?
Those prices are retail so I'll be getting a 3 year warranty

along
with
the
fan and heat sink.

I can try to sell the old P4-1.8/400 with heatsink and fan for

$50
help
defray the cost. What do you all think? Should I go for it

or
should
wait for the prices to drop? Or will this 533 processors

start
disappearing
from the shelves and the price start jumping?

Compaq Presario 4640 processor upgrade? Mike Compaq Computers 4 September 8th 04 11:30 AM
Processor Upgrade ToaDz Homebuilt PC's 4 May 25th 04 05:14 AM
Processor upgrade for A7M266 svrz Asus Motherboards 3 April 29th 04 04:40 AM
Processor Upgrade CW Overclocking AMD Processors 22 January 8th 04 08:43 PM
Processor Upgrade CW Overclocking AMD Processors 1 January 7th 04 12:31 AM