Missed notification syndrome

Old June 25th 03, 07:22 PM
Shaun Marolf

Default Missed notification syndrome

(David Arnstein) wrote in news:bdcmnb$n8k$1
@reader1.panix.com:

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, with service pack 3 and all
updates available from Microsoft's Windows Update Service. The
hardware is a brand new Dell Dimension XPS with a Pentium IV in it.

Recently, this machine has been afflicted with a pervasive problem
that I am calling "missed notification syndrome." Here are some of the
symptoms:

o Internet Explorer won't finish rendering a web page
unless I drag the IE window around my screen for a few
seconds.

o Same problem with the embedded web browser of
Website-Watcher 3.0f as with Inernet Exploer (above).

o Same problem with Netscape 4.79 as with Internet Explorer
(above).

o When I "hotsync" my Palm OS PDA (a Sony Clie), the
syncing doesn't commence until I fiddle with the GUI for
the hotsync program that runs in the Windows tray.

o When I play an audio clip with Windows Media Player, its
progress meter (shows how much of the clip has been
played) doesn't move unless I drag the JetAudio window
around my screen.

o Same problem with JetAudio as with Windows Media Player
(above).

Is anyone else having this type of problem? Perhaps it is due to one
of the "Windows Update" fixes?

Check to see if there is a BIOS and/or Video driver update from Dell. If
not then something maybe amiss with the HW setup. Your computer was
designed with Windows XP in mind so I'm betting on a driver problem.

--Shaun

Old June 25th 03, 08:02 PM
David Arnstein

In article ,
WSZsr wrote:
Did you install the Intel chipset software when you installed Win2k?

Yes.
--
David Arnstein

Old June 25th 03, 09:41 PM
S.Lewis

I agree with Shaun. Try to get the proper/latest video driver for your card
and Win2K.

I've had machines in which IE wouldn't scroll/display properly with just the
native Windows drivers.

Stew

.154...

Old June 25th 03, 10:29 PM
David Arnstein

In article ,
S.Lewis wrote:

I agree with Shaun. Try to get the proper/latest video driver for your card
and Win2K.

I already had the latest drivers from ATI. I downloaded new ones
(just published yesterday). My problem is still present.

I'm going to try the Win2K install/repair routine next.
--
David Arnstein