Help with ext storage tower set up

Old October 31st 10, 06:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

Default Help with ext storage tower set up

Hi,

I bought this tidy little 4 HD Mini Tower Unit (Addonics) unit and
thought I'd try it with my Acer Aspire ONE ebook.

Didn't see any drives, I put in.

Used USB as there is no esata on ebook.

Then thought maybe the XP ebook does not work with the unit.

So tried a desktop with esata but still no drives seen.

I want it to see 4 drives as regular vanilla individual drives, NO raid.

I am unsure of the setting at the back panel.

It came set as BIG4-SAF2 on the back option wheel, but can't see any FAQ
for dopes like me to see how to set it for regular drives.

Changed the back option to FAST 2 and FAST 4 as well, but no change.

This is the unit.. esata and usb

http://web.techbuy.com.au/p/129159/H.../MST4SR5HM.asp

http://web.techbuy.com.au/products/1...D4SR5HPMUS.asp

Any ideas?

Nice little box and I am looking forward to a cleaner set up rather than
4 usb exts hanging off the boxes.

Thanks,

rock

Old October 31st 10, 03:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:30:58 +1100, rock
wrote:

[...]

The eBook should support USB if it was initially installed
by the mfr.

The eSATA port must be port multiplier compatible, and for
older PCs, they will not be.

I have the eSATA box made by CFI--no USB on it. I found I
had to use their supplied software to "see" and then format
the hard drives. Once I did that, no problem. Have been
using the box with four drives for over two years with few
problems. I did have to use their supplied PCIe eSATA card
(with two eSATA ports) because the eSATA on my ASUS mb does
not support port multiplier.
Old November 1st 10, 01:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

wrote:

[...]

Hi thanks..

Yes it looks like I am in a similar boat! I have an Asus P5Q3 mobo
which uses a J-Micron but the Addonics Mini Tower needs a Silicon
chipset to use the single x 4 drive option.

I am trying to see if I can get a pci card to do what you have done.

Thanks again..

rock
Old November 1st 10, 02:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

wrote:

[...]

I have the SiI 3132 card (PCIe to 2 eSATA ports) and it
works well. I think it was an extra US $20 when I got the
eSATA box (from memory).
Old November 4th 10, 12:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

wrote:

[...]

Well I had to swap the RAID box I had for one that shows the 4 drives
individually and it works great.

My Asus P5Q3 mobo did have the necessary JMB363 esata controller on it
and I didn't have to change anything in Bios, just plugged it into the
eata cable and there were my 4 drives!!

So far a great little neat box.

Good luck guys..