which ink is likely to run out first?

Old July 30th 07, 04:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default which ink is likely to run out first?

Arthur Entlich ) writes:
I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

Art

Thank you. I was wondering about photo black.

Brendan

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Old July 30th 07, 04:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

"Burt" ) writes:
"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote in message
I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Having read all the responses up to now, I can say that it depends entirely
on what you print most. If it is plain paper text based printing you will
be replacing the large black pigment-based cart. Even if you only print
black, plain paper, text based pages, however, the cleaning cycles that the
printer runs automatically will also eventually deplete the color carts as
well.

I was wondering about that. Since Canon seems to recommend leaving the
printer off until needed, I turn it on when I want to print or make a
copy. When powered it talks to itself once in a while (mechanical noises)
which suggests a cleaning cycle. Is this always true or can the noises
mean something else. Isn't there also an issue of clenaing pads with
Canons, or is the Epson?

Brendan

If you print lots of photos the usual first cart to run out is yellow
(depending on what you are printing.)

Most of the discount coupons you receive from Office Depot or the other big
box office supply stores are for their own store brand of ink. There are
very few aftermarket carts available for these newer Canon printers that
have chipped carts. These carts are refillable and there are some
internet-based vendors with good inks especially formulated for these
printers. If you are so inclined to refill them you can find out about the
few good inks and vendors on this ng and on the Nifty-stuff forum. Pay no
attention to Measekite who tries to dissuade people from considering
aftermarket inks. He has no experience with them but responds with the old,
tired, biased statements that others with experience with these products can
personally refute.

The best solution to your question is to buy a complete extra set of carts.
You will then have the one that runs out regardless of which one it is. I
always have at least one spare of each color on hand. This also gives you
the opportunity to refill the carts as they become empty and have them on
standby. BETTER YET, if you see an ip4300 on an exceptional sale -
something under $100, you will pay little more than the cost of the ink
carts it comes with (it uses the same carts as your mP600) and you will then
have a spare printhead (the same in both printers) for you mp600 and/or an
extra printer on hand in case yours fails!

Old July 30th 07, 05:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Burt" ) writes:
[...]

(snip)

The printer firmware schedules cleaning cycles based on how much you print
and on the time the printer is idle. The cleaning cycles are done with a
vacuum pump that pulls ink out of the carts and through the nozzles to keep
the nozzles from clogging with dried ink. The ink that is vacuumed out goes
into a waste pad inside the bottom of the printer. Canon and Epson printers
both have waste ink pads. Then the printer determines that the waste ink
"tank" is full it signals you to get the printer serviced. The service
charge is high compared to the value of the printer at that time. You can
look up the codes for most of these printers online and reset the counter to
zero. This lets you continue to print. The warning signal is set to a
very conservative level, and I've read that resetting a Canon once doesn't
cause problems with liquid ink overflowing out of the base of the printer.
Some have even done so twice with no problems.

Old July 30th 07, 07:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message

Personally, on my HP printer, I'm using both Cyan and Magenta more rapidly
than yellow. But it literally depends on what you print.

It also depends on the particular printer and the inks, and how the dye
loads and print modes were set. I know of one study a decade ago where
empty tri-color cartridges returned from customers were analyzed to
determine the amount of remaining ink in each chamber. Surprisingly the
distribution was bimodal - about half ran out of yellow first, the other
half had run out of cyan first. Magenta was generally the second color to
run out whether cyan or yellow ran out first.

My assumption at the time (not backed up by further research) was that it
probably was very dependant on what was being printed - sky tones use mostly
cyan and magenta, flesh tones use more magenta and yellow.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 30th 07, 11:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Which printer are you using? Do you print much skies?

Flowers and foliage use a lot of yellow, since yellows, oranges, reds,
and greens all use a lot of yellow, and if you tend to shoot a lot in
early morning or later evening, your color balance will be even more
biased to yellow.

Art

Jim Ford wrote:

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

I fitted a CIS to my printer about 2 months ago. I've noticed the yellow
is going down the fastest, closely followed by light magenta, then light
cyan, then cyan and magenta. Black is the last. I print mainly wild
flowers and landscapes.

Jim Ford

Old July 30th 07, 11:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

You didn't mention which printer you are using. That would help in
determine what's what. Some printers have one slot for black for which
you can either use a larger of smaller black cartridge, and both might
be the identical type of ink.

Some printers use all pigment inks both black and color, some use all
dye, and no pigment inks. Does your printer use 5 cartridges all
installed at once?

Art

Mary wrote:

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message

I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

I have a 4 colour model and in general, I have found the above to be true. I
have two black - (one fat and one thin cartridge). Most times, the colour
runs out first even though I use colour and black about equal times. Can you
tell me, is my fat black cartridge for photo or text?

Mary

Old July 30th 07, 03:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

The ink that is likely to run out first is the ink you use the most.

Old July 30th 07, 04:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mickey

Mary wrote:

I have a 4 colour model and in general, I have found the above to be true. I
have two black - (one fat and one thin cartridge). Most times, the colour
runs out first even though I use colour and black about equal times. Can you
tell me, is my fat black cartridge for photo or text?

Mary

Sounds like a Canon. Large black is pigmented and for text. Smaller
blk is a dye based ink for photo printing.

Mickey
Old July 30th 07, 05:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary

You didn't mention which printer you are using. That would help in
determine what's what. Some printers have one slot for black for which
you can either use a larger of smaller black cartridge, and both might
be the identical type of ink.

Sorry,I should have been more clear. I have a Canon IP 4000. My printer has
two black slots. One for a fat black cartridge and one for a thin black
cartridge plus 3 colour cartridges - yellow, magenta and cyan.

Some printers use all pigment inks both black and color, some use all
dye, and no pigment inks. Does your printer use 5 cartridges all
installed at once?

I don't know what kind of ink they have. All cartridges have to be installed
and have ink in them for the printer to work.

Mary

Art

Old July 30th 07, 05:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jim Ford

measekite wrote:

The ink that is likely to run out first is the ink you use the most.

Wow, that's pretty deep insight from measekite!

Jim Ford