Mysterious System Shutdown

Old February 20th 08, 03:27 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Dustin Harper

Default Mysterious System Shutdown

Make sure your CPU isn't getting too hot. Make sure that the heatsink is
making good contact, and you are using the right amount of thermal paste and
all fans are running.

The power supply looks suffiecent, so that shouldn't be a problem.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

"Keith" wrote in message
et...
I'm putting this out for my brother. He's having problems with his system
shutting down. It happens a few seconds after booting, and he can't even
get into the BIOS!

Motherboard
BFG Tech BFG680i SLi LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Dual-Core Processor

Power Supply
Thermaltake Toughpower W0104RU ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply

Memory
Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Hard Drives
Two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording
Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Graphics
Two BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

He sent the motherboard back for a replacement, but no help... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

Old February 21st 08, 01:32 AM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Keith L

Dustin Harper wrote:
Make sure your CPU isn't getting too hot. Make sure that the heatsink
is making good contact, and you are using the right amount of thermal
paste and all fans are running.

The power supply looks suffiecent, so that shouldn't be a problem.

That was the first thing he thought of... Remember what I wrote before
-- The Motherboard/CPU/Heatsink can be ice cold, but will shut down 3
seconds from power-up! I think we're looking for a non-obvious
solution, thanks.
Old February 21st 08, 03:05 AM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Dustin Harper

What about a sticky power button? Try removing everything and putting it on
a test bench, just the MB, CPU, heatsink, RAM, video and power supply. Could
be a short somewhere. Also, try removing all but one stick of RAM.

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious to some people. Thanks.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

"Keith L" wrote in message