What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

Old August 1st 10, 12:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
John

Default What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 03:01:31 -0400, Tony Harding
wrote:

On 07/01/10 22:52, Christopher Muto wrote:
i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want to
disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and so
must close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling tap
to click does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

XPS 420 64 bit 6 gig ram
Dimension 4700 2 gig
Dimension 8300 3 gig
Dimension 9150 3 gig
Dimension E521 2 gig
Optiplex 520 2 gig
Optiplex 170 2 gig no win 7 video driver
Had to use XP driver in compatabilty mode
Old August 3rd 10, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff

wrote:

[...]

I installed it on a Dimension 4600 but with my Radeon 7500 video card it
really looked lousy so I uninstalled. I would like to put it back but
can anyone suggest a good AGP video card to handle it. Thanks

Old August 3rd 10, 06:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The Radeon 7500 is pretty old, pretty weak and probably limited to
either 32MB or 64MB of memory.

A video card with at least 256MB is what it probably wants. nVidia and
ATI chips both populate 256MB video cards. nVidia's are made by all
kinds of companies, some well know, some not. ATI cards are both
branded and OEM, like Diamond.

You should be able to score a used nVidia or ATI 256MB card for chump
change these days, as the world has definitely moved on from AGP 8x to
PCI-Express... Ben Myers
Old August 3rd 10, 03:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff

I installed it on a Dimension 4600 but with my Radeon 7500 video card it
really looked lousy so I uninstalled. I would like to put it back but
can anyone suggest a good AGP video card to handle it. Thanks

The Radeon 7500 is pretty old, pretty weak and probably limited to
either 32MB or 64MB of memory.

A video card with at least 256MB is what it probably wants. nVidia and
ATI chips both populate 256MB video cards. nVidia's are made by all
kinds of companies, some well know, some not. ATI cards are both branded
and OEM, like Diamond.

You should be able to score a used nVidia or ATI 256MB card for chump
change these days, as the world has definitely moved on from AGP 8x to
PCI-Express... Ben Myers

Thanks how about drivers that was a big problem and maybe the main one
with my card. I couldn't get win 7 tried vista but it never looked
sharp always blurry.

Old August 8th 10, 07:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
w7pro[_2_]

Hank Arnold;1235609 Wrote:
I've installed it successfully on:

Dimension E520 (32 & 64 bit
Optiplex 780 (64 bit pre-installed).

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 8/1/2010 3:01 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
On 07/01/10 22:52, Christopher Muto wrote:
i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive

was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want

disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and

so
must close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling

tap
to click does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

Installed Win 7 Pro on an XPS410 (to make it compatible with my new
XPS9000). No problems with the install and the 410 ran great.

About to try Win7 Pro on my R61 Lenovo ThinkPad.

It's great to read all your experiences with installing Windows 7
Professional. You can learn more about what it can do for you at
http://bit.ly/W7Pro, which has case studies, videos, a “test drive,”
feature descriptions, and more. Or check out the video at
http://bit.ly/Win7ProProductivity. You can also follow us on
http://bit.ly/Win7ProSocialMedia to find out what people are saying
about Windows 7 Professional, enter contests, and read success stories.
Hope this helps. Andrea H. Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

Old August 9th 10, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

On 8/8/2010 2:09 AM, w7pro wrote:
Hank Arnold;1235609 Wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, it's the return of the so-called Outreach Team, originally known
as the IE 8 Outreach Team, and posting from a variety of e-mail domains,
including Vistaheads and Invalid, and under different names. One hopes
that their Windows 7 Professional advice is better than their IE 8 advice.

Neither the IE 8 Outreach Team nor the new Windows 7 Professional
Outreach Team are affiliated with Microsoft. It's just somebody else
trying to attract attention to their website. Caveat emptor.

--
Daddy
Old August 9th 10, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Daddy" cautioned:
w7pro wrote:
[...]

:-) I *wondered* why the domain extension was "ly", i.e. Libya.
I wouldn't even click on one of those URLs. Camel fleas....

*TimDaniels*

Old August 9th 10, 07:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 8/9/2010 12:56 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Daddy" cautioned:
w7pro wrote:
[...]

Probably Qadhafi trying to set up a Windows support center... Ben Myers
Old August 22nd 10, 08:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
w7pro[_3_]

Ben Myers;1238042 Wrote:
[...]

Hi, I think we had a misunderstanding. Bit.ly is a URL shortening
service we use to keep posts short (especially on Twitter!) and to let
us know where our clicks are coming from. The three links in the post
above are, in expanded form: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/business/,
http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en...ls/windows7pro, and
http://www.igniteyoursmallbusiness.c...s/default.aspx. If you ever
want to expand a bit.ly link to know what you are considering clicking,
you can use URL expanding sites like http://untiny.me/. Best, Andrea
Hofer, Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

Old October 4th 10, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 8/3/2010 10:21 AM, Jeff wrote:

[...]

If the AMD/ATI web site does not have Windows 7 drivers for the 7500,
they do not exist.

Whichever card you choose, make sure it has Windows 7 drivers.

Most any of the aforementioned 256MB cards should have Windows 7
drivers, but it's always a case of look before you leap... Ben Myers