which ink is likely to run out first?

Old July 29th 07, 05:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default which ink is likely to run out first?

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Old July 29th 07, 06:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John McWilliams

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Yellow.

Black.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 29th 07, 07:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan

Yellow.

Black.

You didn't read the question, did you?
It was:
"I have to project which ink tanks are going to need replacement first.
My guess is large black...followed by which colors? "

--
Nicolaas.

2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

.... There is no such thing as an atheist in a firefight.
Old July 29th 07, 06:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John McWilliams

wrote in :

I've got a fairly new Canon MP600 for which I will eventually have to buy
ink. Office Depot sent me a coupon that might be useful ($10 off $25 or
more on ink) but I have to project which ink tanks are going to need
replacement first. My guess is large black...followed by which colors?

Nothing is running low enough yet to judge.

Brendan
Yellow.

Black.

You didn't read the question, did you?

I failed in reading the last lines.

It was:
"I have to project which ink tanks are going to need replacement first.
My guess is large black...followed by which colors? "

Ever so important for you to have pointed this out.

--
lsmft
Old July 29th 07, 07:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

Art

Old July 29th 07, 07:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
I didn't check to see what ink set the Canon MP600 uses, but the ink use
depends upon your use. If you will be printing a lot of text, then
black is likely to be used up first.

However, if you will be printing images, depending on the ink set, the
typical use is as such:

In six color printers, the light (photo) magenta and light (photo) cyan
will be first, followed by yellow, magenta and cyan.

If it is a 4 color model, then yellow, magenta, and then cyan. The cyan
and magenta usually run out about the same time, and it depends upon
your use. If it has two black, pigment and photo black, the pigment
black gets used for text, the other black for photo or color work. It
usually lasts the longest.

I have a 4 colour model and in general, I have found the above to be true. I
have two black - (one fat and one thin cartridge). Most times, the colour
runs out first even though I use colour and black about equal times. Can you
tell me, is my fat black cartridge for photo or text?

Mary

Old July 30th 07, 11:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

You didn't mention which printer you are using. That would help in
determine what's what. Some printers have one slot for black for which
you can either use a larger of smaller black cartridge, and both might
be the identical type of ink.

Some printers use all pigment inks both black and color, some use all
dye, and no pigment inks. Does your printer use 5 cartridges all
installed at once?

Art

Old July 30th 07, 05:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary

You didn't mention which printer you are using. That would help in
determine what's what. Some printers have one slot for black for which
you can either use a larger of smaller black cartridge, and both might
be the identical type of ink.

Sorry,I should have been more clear. I have a Canon IP 4000. My printer has
two black slots. One for a fat black cartridge and one for a thin black
cartridge plus 3 colour cartridges - yellow, magenta and cyan.

Some printers use all pigment inks both black and color, some use all
dye, and no pigment inks. Does your printer use 5 cartridges all
installed at once?

I don't know what kind of ink they have. All cartridges have to be installed
and have ink in them for the printer to work.

Mary

Art

Old August 1st 07, 05:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

OK, now that I know the printer model I can comment further.

Your printer has 5 cartridges. The large black one is for text and is
used exclusively for that purpose. That is a pigment ink

The other four cartridges are all dye ink and used for images. They are
Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and the smaller of the two Black (dye or photo type).

The reason for this is that pigment ink provides a sharper and denser
black with plain paper, and may even dry faster. It also is quite fade
resistant, and often is waterproof once dry.

However, this ink doesn't integrate well with the color dye inks. It
sits on the surface of the paper, while dye inks penetrate the paper
more. Since the characteristics differ between dye inks and a pigment
ink, and particularly black inks which have a lot of pigment in them,
they don't merge well and would look odd in an image. Therefore, for
anything involving colored inks, your printer will use the dye black ink
in that application, but continue to use the pigment black ink in text
only applications.

The nature of the head and dot size is often also different between dye
ink and pigment inks.

Art