Rebate class action suite

Old November 18th 03, 05:20 AM
Irene

You really aren't much of a business person, are you?

Looking at the way you compose your posts, I don't know why that would
surprise me, though.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
no, silly, the customer just walks out the door and comes back again...
with the rebate they control how many units are sold to an individual at

the
after rebate price (they just don't pay the claim on the extra rebates to
the same address). of course you can get people that try to send rebates

their home, office, friends house, etc.. but it would certainly curb a
business from the practice of buying deeply discounted items and reselling
them. have you seen the many products on ebay that are 'brand new,

factory
sealed, with upc bar code removed from package'? people actually buy
products, claim the rebates, and then resell them... profiting from some

of
the incredible discounts offered by rebates... if they get paid that is.
unreputable vendors like pny only pay about 60% of the time and other
vendors simply go out of business before the rebates are paid (cyndyne is

recent example of this).

"Irene" wrote in message
Just how is some one supposed to make sense out of this:

i think you the point he was making was this: with a rebate program a

store can advertise a product at a very low after rebate price yet

limit
the number purchased by an individual at the low after rebate price

per
the terms of a rebate. if they just lowered the price without the use

of
a rebate then any individual could buy out the entire stock at the

reduced
price.

And now I will ask you the same question that I asked the other guy.

Doesn't placing a limit of one per customer on a sale item accomplish

the
same thing without the hassle of a mail in rebate?

I repeat the actual reasons for rebates were very accurately posted by

some
one else to this thread:

.......... People are attracted to
what they perceive as a bargain. Sellers rely on many buyers

not
bothering to redeem coupons or jump through
the hoops required to claim the rebate.
Sellers also benefit from the float (time value of money)
between

the purchase and cashing the rebate check.

It's that simple.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
wow, i am beginning to understand why you don't understand my

postings...
i did not interpret what you wrote the first time in the way that you

have
just explained it here the second time. the reverse is probably the

case
for
your interpretations of my posts.
i think you the point he was making was this: with a rebate program a

store
can advertise a product at a very low after rebate price yet limit the
number purchased by an individual at the low after rebate price per

the
terms of a rebate. if they just lowered the price without the use of

rebate then any individual could buy out the entire stock at the

reduced
price.

"Irene" wrote in message
You guys are missing the point.
A rebate also performs a function similar to the coupon (limit

one)
you
use at the grocery store. It limits your greed.

If Maxtor lowered the price of their disk drives by $80, then your

local
conglomerate could order a thousand at that price. By offering

the
rebate, they can still get full price from business users while

they
get the marketing buzz and extra volume from non-business buyers.

Also prevents ebay entrepreneurs from buying a zillion and

reselling
them.

My response was:

That flies in the face of reality. Did you ever see a sign in a

store
saying
"limit ONE at this price" ?

In other words, as if an explanation should be needed.
That is exactly what I am saying. Discounted prices can be limited

one
item. That would preclude some company or individual from buying 300

or
"zillion"(what ever that is) at the discounted price. The argument

for
the
rebate(unless I completely mis-read it) was that the Rebate was

used,
rather
than a discounted price to control the number sold, by household,
business,
etc, to one per entity.

The true reason for rebates, as was posted by some one else to this

same
thread is:

.......... People are attracted to
what they perceive as a bargain. Sellers rely on many buyers not
bothering
to redeem coupons or jump through the hoops required to claim the
rebate.
Sellers also benefit from the float (time value of money) between

the
purchase and cashing the rebate check.

And if you can't understand that, then I would not like to have you

as
business partner. g

"mike" wrote in message

Irene wrote:
That flies in the face of reality. Did you ever see a sign in a

store
saying
"limit ONE at this price" ?

If you mean in the last two minutes, the answer is YES!
You'd have to be living under a rock to avoid seeing dozens of

them
every week.
Here's an example:

http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/coupon.jpg

This one happens to be limit two, but I can find a limit one
if your reality won't stretch that far.

Somewhere I think I have a coupon for some bug spray to get the

files
off your reality.

mike

"mike" wrote in message

James Nipper wrote:

HillBilly Buddhist, your message demonstrates beyond debate

that
the

rebate

scam is a scam.

A scam is a scam is a scam...........

Now, I am glad that we have settled this debate..........

Thanks Guys !!

--James--

-------------------------------

HillBilly Buddhist wrote:

The idea behind managing cash is simple, speed it up coming in,

slow
it

down

going out.

You know how sometimes people write a check to somebody when

they

haven't

got any money in their checking account, then rush to the bank

the
next
morning to put some money in before the check clears? Same

idea.

You can call it a "scheme" but it is s.o.p. in business.

I don't deny that they factor in a percentage of rebates that

will
never

be

paid because of improper or untimely requests and those checks

that
will

not

be cashed before they expire or those that will be mishandled

due

human

error. With the exception of mishandled claims these are all on

the
head

of

the consumer, who mind you was never forced to buy based on

after
rebate
prices.

I don't consider it a scam because I am a willing participant

and
have
never NOT gotten a rebate. (I shop rebate deals at CompUSA,

Office
Max,
Staples et. al.. almost weekly for "office consumables" and

have

purchased

computer systems with rebates) I have no problem with a few

"hoops"
if

it

saves me some money. I suppose if you've been denied a properly

requested

rebate you could view them as scams. You could equally say that

in
any
program that handles thousands (sometimes millions) of paper

claims
by

hand

some people are going to get the short end of the stick.

You guys are missing the point.
A rebate also performs a function similar to the coupon (limit

one)
you
use at the grocery store. It limits your greed.

If Maxtor lowered the price of their disk drives by $80, then

your
local
conglomerate could order a thousand at that price. By offering

the
rebate, they can still get full price from business users while

they
get the marketing buzz and extra volume from non-business

buyers.

Also prevents ebay entrepreneurs from buying a zillion and

reselling
them.

And yes, they do hope you don't send in the rebate. It's not

their
fault that you're lazy.
And yes, they do get the float.

Occasionally, a company will use rebates to rip the last dollar

out
of
business as they're filing chapter 11. As a percentage, that's

not
high.

It's my choice to take advantage of rebates.
You may choose not to.
Everybody wins.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old November 20th 03, 03:23 PM
Christopher Muto

your pattern of giving up on a discussions and turning to insults is
becoming consistent and is disappointing. try again, or don't, but be aware
that the insults are just an affirmation of the other persons position.

Old November 25th 03, 09:24 PM
Jenny

Exactly Irene. I actually purchased about 10 systems from dell last year
because I help
people buy computers. I tutor one-on-one, repair computers, have built
them, etc.
Dell is floating the money and not delivering on some of them without MAJOR
hassles. It has been 3 and 1/2 months and I still don't have $100. In my
case, I will
never buy another dell. This plus the drop in their support to Gateway
levels has done
it for me. That's it. No more.

"Irene" wrote in message
It depends on the company involved. Some are prompt some aren't. Dell is

one
that we have had such problems with, that IF we ever buy another Dell(and
with the current condition of their Home PC Tech Support, that is very
unlikely) it will not be one that involves a coupon rebate.

Old November 25th 03, 09:25 PM
Jenny

"Denzelpuppy" wrote in message
think about it just for 1 moment do you really think Dell would male out

dud
cheques????

It looks like a duck and walks like a duck, I begin to think it is a duck.

Old November 26th 03, 02:40 AM
Tom Scales

But there is no evidence to support any conspiracy on Dell's part to
withhold money. The only cases I've seen here of Dell not paying has been
when the posts start with things like "I was only three days late sending it
in".

Have you emailed customer care?

Tom

Old November 26th 03, 02:54 AM
Irene

The only cases I've seen here of Dell not paying has been
when the posts start with things like "I was only three days late sending

it
in".

What do you do, intentionally ignore any such post that just might imply
something else. g

Old November 26th 03, 03:03 AM
Irene

BTW, I just did a quick Google search of this news group for the subject of
"rebate".

I had no trouble finding several that said nothing about late or improper
submission.
Some were really bad. Instances where even Dell representatives admitted the
customer was correct. But the rebate was still not received by the customer.

Seems to put some ones voracity into question, doesn't it?

Old November 26th 03, 03:43 AM
Dan Sgambelluri

I see the same rebate problems using Google Groups with Gateway, HP/Compaq,
Acer, Micron, Packard Bell and I betcha if I checked other companies and
stores that have rebates, that they will have the same problems too.

Old November 26th 03, 04:39 AM
PC Gladiator

That would seem to backup the earlier claim that rebates are scams.
Processing a rebate isn't rocket science. Hard to imagine why there are so
many problems with them.

Old November 26th 03, 04:49 AM
Ken W

I agree, Dell isn't as bad as some. I've received five Dell rebates over the
years without a problem. I can't say the same about two other computer
vendors that I had to make multiple calls regarding the status--after 3-5
months.

They all should take a lesson from Symantec's new rebate processor. I
purchased three Norton products at different time intervals recently, and
the rebates landed in my mailbox in 8, 11 and 12 days. They E-Mail you as
soon as they receive your paperwork, about three days after I mailed them.

Now Checker Auto Parts rebate is in it's fourth month, I'll wait another two
before I contact them. That seems to be the norm with the Arizona firm they
use.

Ken