Serial ATA Question

Old February 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Zed

Default Serial ATA Question

Can anybody give the spiel on Serial ATA in a nutshell?

1. Is there any problem when Win 98SE is the OS? (I'm building a
Win98SE/Win2K Pro dual boot machine)

2. Regarding the normal 4 EIDE limitation...does running a serial
ATA-capable harddrive from the serial connector on the motherboard free-up
the 4 EIDE connections from your motherboard; in other words, could one run
one or two (I think most motherboards come with 2 connections) serial ATA
harddrives off the serial ATA port and have all the other 4 EIDE
connections for 4 EIDE devices?

Thanks for any advice.

---

Old February 23rd 04, 11:07 PM

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:30:51 -0500, "Zed" wrote:

Can anybody give the spiel on Serial ATA in a nutshell?

1. Is there any problem when Win 98SE is the OS? (I'm building a
Win98SE/Win2K Pro dual boot machine)

2. Regarding the normal 4 EIDE limitation...does running a serial
ATA-capable harddrive from the serial connector on the motherboard free-up
the 4 EIDE connections from your motherboard; in other words, could one run
one or two (I think most motherboards come with 2 connections) serial ATA
harddrives off the serial ATA port and have all the other 4 EIDE
connections for 4 EIDE devices?

Thanks for any advice.

---

2. Yes. I have 2 SATAs off the serial ATA ports, 2 CD-RWs on primary
IDE and still have secondard open. I could put 2 parallel hds on the
secondary.
1. Don't know 4 sure, I have XP, but you need different drivers in
the operating system. XP, on install, asks if you have 3rd party or
SCSI drivers to install. Here you put in a floppy with SATA hd drivers
on it. Don't know how you'ld install thm in WIN98SE.

Old February 24th 04, 08:21 PM
Peter

Yes, you can run 4 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives at the same time.

--
DaveW

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with this at the moment. I have installed a new SATA
120gb Seagate today (partitioned into 10gb primary and the rest extended)
alongside my 2 exisiting 40gb IDE drives. After changing the relevant BIOS
settings I managed to boot to it and install Windows XP (along with pressing
F6 and installing the RAID driver when prompted).

Problem is - when I boot using this new drive, my two old ones cannot be
seen. (The two DVD drives on the secondary IDE channel are showing up fine).
However, if I change the BIOS back to how it was and boot up on my old
drive, the new SATA drive is there showing both partitions no problem.

I really wanted to have the new one as my main drive as it does seem to be
much faster (during windows xp installation it went down from 30 minutes
remaining to zero in about 10 minutes).

I suppose it doesn't really matter and I can live without it for a bit, but
the extra 80gb storage on my 2 old drives would have been nice.

So - what should the correct settings be in BIOS?
Is there anything I can do in Windows to make the IDE primary and secondary
drives visible?
What should the jumper settings be on the old drives - do they need changing
from master and slave?

I don't know what else to try.

System:
P4 2.6gb
Giga-byte GA-8IK1100
1gb PC3200
2 x 40gb HDD on IDE channel 1
DVD-RW and DVD-ROM both on 2nd IDE channel

Anything else please let me know.

Please reply to the group as this e-mail address is unusable due to spam

Thank you

Peter

Old February 24th 04, 09:42 PM
Mike Walsh

Try placing the DVD drives on the first IDE port and the hard drives on the second IDE port.
If you can't boot with the SATA drive and access all of your devices you can boot from your old IDE drive and load windows from the SATA drive.

Peter wrote:

[...]

West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old February 26th 04, 02:45 PM
Peter

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with this at the moment. I have installed a new SATA
120gb Seagate today (partitioned into 10gb primary and the rest extended)
alongside my 2 exisiting 40gb IDE drives. After changing the relevant

BIOS
settings I managed to boot to it and install Windows XP (along with

pressing
F6 and installing the RAID driver when prompted).

Problem is - when I boot using this new drive, my two old ones cannot be
seen.

Can't be seen in the CMOS boot screen? Or just can't be seen in
Windows?

(The two DVD drives on the secondary IDE channel are showing up fine).
However, if I change the BIOS back to how it was and boot up on my old
drive, the new SATA drive is there showing both partitions no problem.

I really wanted to have the new one as my main drive as it does seem to

be
much faster (during windows xp installation it went down from 30 minutes
remaining to zero in about 10 minutes).

What type of partitions is each of the 4 (?) partitions?

Anything else please let me know.

The partitions may not be compatible. You could have drivers loading
on the original boot drive...that isn't loading anymore.

Or you could have FAT/FAT32/NTFS problems.

Can you see all the drives in the BIOS screen at boot?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Thanks Trent for your reply. In the end a BIOS upgrade did the trick. Up and
running now.

Peter