CD-RW Backup Problem?

Old February 13th 05, 12:05 AM
david

Default CD-RW Backup Problem?

I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program I
now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job, but
would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files on
the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two programs
"Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program. Here
is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet Writing
software to be installed on the computer before their programs will work,
which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to be
an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks,
david

Old February 13th 05, 12:20 AM
Molly

Here is a link "Google" and packet writing software
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ftware&spell=1

Old February 13th 05, 12:52 AM
david

Thank you Molly for your quick and helpful response.
Didn't realize there were so many. Picking the right one will be the trick.
Thanks
david

Old February 13th 05, 01:10 AM
HillBillyBuddhist

"david" wrote in message
|I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
| now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
but
| would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files on
| the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two programs
| "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program.
Here
| is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet Writing
| software to be installed on the computer before their programs will work,
| which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to be
| an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
| Thanks,
| david

If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging one, I
use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most removable
media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.

http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old February 13th 05, 01:31 AM
david

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote in message
"david" wrote in message
|I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The
program
| now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
but
| would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files
on
| the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
programs
| "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program.
Here
| is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet
Writing
| software to be installed on the computer before their programs will
work,
| which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to
be
| an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
| Thanks,
| david

If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging one,
use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most removable
media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.

http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also. Does
BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
my computer?
david

Old February 13th 05, 02:19 AM
HillBillyBuddhist

| If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging
one,
| use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most
removable
| media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
|
| http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
|
| --
|
| I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
| I was just trying to help.
| Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
| advice herein.
| No warranty is expressed or implied.
| Your mileage may vary.
| See store for details.
|
| Remove shoes to E-mail.
|
| Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also.
Does
| BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
| my computer?
| david

No it does not.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old February 13th 05, 04:50 AM
david

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote in message
| If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging
one,
| use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most
removable
| media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
|
| http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
|
| --
|
| I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
| I was just trying to help.
| Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
or
| advice herein.
| No warranty is expressed or implied.
| Your mileage may vary.
| See store for details.
|
| Remove shoes to E-mail.
|
| Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also.
Does
| BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed
on
| my computer?
| david

No it does not.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply
This makes the program ok.
david

Old February 15th 05, 03:58 AM
Brian K

David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the usual
mastering software.

Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write to
a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program directly
to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and throw away the
out of date backups.

Brian

Old February 16th 05, 03:09 AM
david

Thank you Brian K for you response. The reason I was asking about the UDF
packet writing was both of the backup programs you had recommended to me in
an early post "Acron's True Image & Second Copy 2000 both required one.
Although the RecordNow will do a data backup, the problem I had was it
wouldn't copy over the existing files on the CD. I have to erase the CD
first, but I can live with that. I would still like a program that I can
use to make a full system backup, RecordNow won't do that. Is there one you
know of that doesn't require the UDF packet writing?
Thanks again,
david

Old February 16th 05, 04:44 AM
Brian K

Hi again David. I use both programs and I don't use packet writing. You
don't need extra software.

I suggest avoiding CD-RW discs as they may let you down when you need them
most. ie they can "forget" data. CD-R discs are so cheap these days and can
be used as MultiSession so you can keep adding data until they are full.

I suggest using Acronis TI to image your C:drive to a folder in your Data
partition. Ask Acronis to split the image into 700 MB chunks so you can burn
to multiple CD's later. You probably only need to burn CD's or transfer the
image to an external HD every month or so, the frequency is personal. In the
meantime just keep adding incremental images to your main image. It's quick
and as you have a large HD, space isn't a problem. Say every day or two. The
C: drive is far more likely to get corrupted than for the HD to fail
completely. And if the C: drive is corrupted, just restore an image from the
Data partition. CD's aren't needed. In fact if you need to restore an image
that is on CD's, copy it to the Data partition before you start Acronis and
restore the image from the HD. Much easier than using CD's for the restore.

For Second Copy you have to decide which files need to be backed up (daily,
weekly) and which don't. Have these copied to another folder on your Data
partition (by Second Copy) and burn this whole folder when needed. Many
files never change and don't need to be part of the Second Copy backup.
These can be burnt separately if required.

Do all burning with RecordNow. For CD-R, you can substitute DVD +/- R discs.
Then you don't have to split the image as it will fit on one disc. Also DVD
discs are cheaper on a MB by MB basis.

Let me know if I've been too brief.

Brian

Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
Problem: A7N8X-VM/400 w/ AGP-NV-DVI & TV-out feature Spiro M. Telegadis Asus Motherboards 3 May 27th 04 10:01 PM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
* A7N8X bios/boot problem - Save & Exit death problem ? Jay Bittle Asus Motherboards 1 January 12th 04 08:16 AM
Maxtor 6Y120M0 SATA HDD on ASUS A7N8X DELUXE problem stanko Asus Motherboards 5 November 4th 03 05:42 PM