64-bit laptops

Old August 19th 03, 09:48 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default 64-bit laptops

Here's a picture of the upcoming Athlon 64-M mobile processor:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...819125458.html

And here's details about an upcoming A64M-based laptop from Arima:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...804164057.html

The mobile version of the A64 seems to be just a regular old 754-pin
A64 without a heat spreader.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 20th 03, 08:05 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
I hope these mobile A64 chips have some sort of power now technology built
in.

Carlo

I would assume that they would have that at the very least, Intel has been
walloping AMD marketshare with the marketing of the Centrino chipset with
all of its features. I would assume that the next gen AMD mobile platform
would have some Centrino-like features built-in such as Wi-Fi. They are
already looking into such an integrated platform with the current Athlon
XP-M's:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...401060146.html

Unfortunately it's a joint-venture between AMD and *VIA*, but I assume VIA
can't screw up the Wi-Fi too much especially since it's an AMD Alchemy
device.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 20th 03, 04:23 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I would assume that they would have that at the very least, Intel has been
walloping AMD marketshare with the marketing of the Centrino chipset with
all of its features. I would assume that the next gen AMD mobile platform
would have some Centrino-like features built-in such as Wi-Fi. They are
already looking into such an integrated platform with the current Athlon
XP-M's:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...401060146.html

Unfortunately it's a joint-venture between AMD and *VIA*, but I assume VIA
can't screw up the Wi-Fi too much especially since it's an AMD Alchemy
device.

Yousuf Khan

Oh no, I have a lot of faith in Via. They can screw anything up! ;-)

Carlo

Old August 20th 03, 06:59 PM
Martin Atkinson-Barr

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
I hope these mobile A64 chips have some sort of power now technology built
in.

Carlo

Having examined an Opteron system with the lid off, I can say that the power
dissipation of these chips is remarkably low.

It seems that the issue was not "how do we make a mobile Athlon64" but
rather "the desktop Athlon64 uses so little power that it can be used in
mobile systems".

I'm sure that AMD will issue a mobile part but its specific features will
probably not address heat (maybe some sleep modes) but rather things like
packaging and the heat produced by other system parts - like running memory
at slower speeds.

The reason that there will be a mobile Athlon64 in September 2003 is that
the core is so efficient - probably the same reason that the supercomputer
manufacturers llike the Opterons so much.

Old August 21st 03, 12:07 AM
Ian Stirling

In comp.sys.intel Carlo Razzeto wrote:
I hope these mobile A64 chips have some sort of power now technology built
in.

There is no need.
When it's run on battery, it's all used now, there is no power later.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
To do is to be
Old August 21st 03, 01:24 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, "Yousuf Khan"
whined:

I would assume that they would have that at the very least, Intel has

been
walloping AMD marketshare with the marketing of the Centrino chipset

SInce AMD really has no market share in the high-end laptop market,
HOW could Intel be clobbering them any worse than they were already??

Strangely enough, AMD had 25% marketshare in the laptop market at one point.
Don't know about high-end laptops, nor what they are. That's fallen below
15% now, it looks like.

Yeah, I don't know where all of that 25% marketshare came from either. I
never saw anyone with an AMD laptop anywhere, but I'd occasionally see one
advertised.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 21st 03, 02:12 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:21:26 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, "Yousuf Khan"
whined:

Strangely enough, AMD had 25% marketshare in the laptop market at one point.
Don't know about high-end laptops,

AMD never had a high-end laptop, obviously.

Heh. One of my friends has a garage-shop PC business, and is a total
AMD fan, and is distressed no end because he has to buy Intel-based
laptops because the AMD-based ones all lack the features he wants...
'Course, I like to rub it in, since I'm an Intel guy.

Serves him right. 8)

Old September 24th 03, 03:24 AM

wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, "Yousuf Khan"
whined:

Strangely enough, AMD had 25% marketshare in the laptop market at one point.
Don't know about high-end laptops,

AMD never had a high-end laptop, obviously.

Why, I remember at some point in 1999 mobile K6-3 450mhz trampled all
over the highest Intel mobile offering of that time, that was P2-400.
Some no-name Taiwanese maker offered it fully featured by that time's
standards, complete with 14.1" display and all the goodies. The only
problems were, that it was quite heavy, and battery life was nothing
to write home about. A few month later, mobile P3-500 came out,
regaining the crown...
Just my $.02 worth...

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

It's your SIG, say what you want to say....