New thread

Old February 3rd 08, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default New thread

Hi Ben !

Have tried posting the following message twice. It won't stick.

Changed headers. I have seen this before with this newsgroup.
Seems that sometimes I can't post to this ng if I have links in it.
Weird.

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

Bob,

Any substantial cash reward for 1100MHz Tualatin CPUs? How about 1400MHz
Tualatins? I have two of the former and one of the latter still in
captivity
last time I looked. Maybe some other interesting and faster Socket 370
CPUs,
too.

I never was able to acquire a P3 1400MHz Tualatin. ( the 256k L2 version )
The 512K L2 version is somewhat common, and reasonably priced. I even have a
desktop motherboard that supports the 512K version, Gigabyte GA-60XET.
Matter of fact, I almost used that in the Milano.

The 1400Mhz is the fastest P3 Tualatin.

Some of the other CPU clock/bus speed combos you talk about are extremely
rare.

I am 99% certain that the pinout for the PB872 board is a forerunner of
the
pinout on newer Intel boards like the D815 series. Yeah, it was made
special
for PB, but you can bet for sure that Intel's special build motherboards
still
follow a pattern to standardize and simplify the board layout and
production.

And that is a good thing.

Even the Dell variant of the SE440BX-2 with its ridiculous fake-ATX power
connector looks like a vanilla one in all other respects.

Huh? Whazzat ? Not sure I have seen that.

Download the Intel D815EEA technical spec and look at the table on page
71:

OK, I'll have a look. I used an Intel D815EEA2U in the Milano. I have
another laying around. I'll check the pin out. Maybe it matchs this board.
Neato.

It's always been very comforting to work with Intel-made or -designed
motherboards, because they are extremely consistent in their overall
design and
layout. They also work well. Pity that PB did not pay more attention to
other
aspects of product quality in selling their gear, else they might still be
around. Now GateMachines is following the PB business plan of using
quality
Intel motherboards, but using other more marginal hardware backed up by
4th rate
tech support... Ben Myers

Funny you mention that. I have had eMachines collecting around here........
and I'm impressed. They are nothing like I remember. The first one I opened
up that had an Intel motherboard really got my attention. 865 chipset.

Recently got one with some bad caps on the motherboard, and since it was an
Intel board this rather surprised me. But it works fine after I replaced the
caps.

http://home.fuse.net/bobwatts/capjob.htm

Gonna go have a look at your pinout suggestion.

bob

Old February 3rd 08, 10:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

More comments.

Yes! Dell decided to use exactly the same connector as the ATX connector on
virtually all of its P3 desktops and also the later P2 one. Leave the P3
Precisions out of this, because they were just plain wierd non-standard.

So if you take a Dell PSU and plug it into a garden variety P3 motherboard,
there are two possibilities. You fry the motherboard, or nothing happens. Same
if you plug a standard P3 PSU into a Dell P3 motherboard, Optiplex or Dimension.
On the Dell setups, the wire leads carry different voltages and polarities than
on the standard ones. Cute lock-in feature, eh? Keeps the rabble independent
computer service people from doing much to fix Dell systems, until the rabble
gets wise. Starting with the Socket 478 desktops, Dell began using standard
ATX12v power supplies.

Don't blame Intel for the blown caps in the eMachines. GateMachines uses the
same crapola Bestec brand (even the same part number) power supply found now in
Compaq Presarios and HP Pavilions. I'll bet that the same contract manufacturer
assembles them all, as was once the case for eMachines and HP Pavilion P3s. If
the power supply goes for almost any reason, it almost always takes down the
motherboard along with it. I have some attractive (if you like the silver and
black motif) eMachines cases dead empty but with XP Home stickers, and I'm still
trying to figure out what to do with them. Compaq Presarios and HP Pavilions
blow up the same way, too. Either the caps are obviously blown from
over-voltage or something else fails... Ben Myers

Old February 3rd 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

"Ben Myers" *wrote in message

[...]

bob- Hide quoted text -

BEN
A properly designed power DC suppy whether it be a switchable one or
standard transformer driven one should not under
except exteme circumstances output over voltage .
If the zener reference used has a proper reverse bias to the
regulating transistor ot IC circuit then the circuit should
shut off at each over voltage point.
This is what actually happens unless the circuit does not shut down
entirely with zener failure to the regulating circuit
and the actual input voltage to the regulatror is pass to the output.

Many power supplies and also the primo ones fail in this entrely.

Also the caps used in these systems work right at the operating
volatge and have very little leanway.
It use to be standard practice to make sure the cap had a 3x applied
voltage value.
Motherboards are also cheap in this desing saving just a few pennies
to use this long time accepted practice.

Also the cips themselves can have gated protection.

What I am saying is that not only are the PSU made cheaply the MB's do
not lag far behind
Old February 4th 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Metronid,

I hear you. But over the last two-three years I've seen a steady parade of
failed eMachines, HP Pavilion, and Compaq Presario systems here. The common
denominator is the pure crap Bestec 250w power supply with a yellow sticker on
it. You cannot ever convince me to put one of these into a computer as a
permanent solution. I'm even hesitant to use one for testing. If you anybody
in love with Bestec power supplies, I gladly pack them all up and ship them off
for a buck apiece plus exact cost of shipping. Let somebody else screw up
their systems with Bestecs.

I agree that mobo quality has fallen off, along with the quality of most any
other hardware. This is inevitable as both manufacturers and consumers alike
push for ever more speed and capacity at ever decreasing prices. Something has
to give, and it is product quality.

I have seen a few failed Intel motherboards, too, but overall, the failure rate
is pretty low and they are rock solid, dependable performers. Very predictable,
but no glitz, bright colors or overclocking. But, then, I make no effort to
build or sell computers to people who want the glitz and color or to play games.
So Intel boards are just about all that I use... Ben Myers

SNIP

Old February 5th 08, 08:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Ben I'm glad you posted this, I almost picked up a Bestec at the closing
comp-usa...so what would be a good power supply for the old pb's like my
910 which has a 'LiteOn' power supply ( 90W dc)?
mc

Old February 6th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Another LiteOn, a consistently reliable brand. LiteOn produced power supplies
for a lot of name brand companies. I had a bunch of LiteOn 300w ATX power
supplies, acquired when DEC was selling off inventory. Excellent power supply
which would work in any ATX box with standard sized power supply.

90w seems a little small. Is the power supply small in shape, too? Matching
the size with a higher wattage one would be a challenge... Ben Myers

Old February 6th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

No the power supply chasis fill the width of the tower, so it seem a normal
size..
Model PS-5101-28, Input 100-127 4A, 200-240 2A, Output +5v= 10A
max, -12v=0.2A, +5sb=0.15.
DC output =90w,
combined +5 & 3.3 = 70w
Is it possible to put Too Big of a power supply in?
mc

Old February 7th 08, 04:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

I found some PS-5101-2B power supplies on eBay. One of the photos ***looks***
like the power supply has a standard 4-hole mounting pattern, but that it is
less deep than a standard power supply. How much clearance is there between the
power supply you have and the CD-ROM drive? Measure the depth of the power
supply and the distance between it and the CD-ROM drive. A standard sized ATX
power supply is probably too big physically, but I have seen (and I may have) a
couple that would fit.

A power supply can never have too much wattage, only too little. The wattage
rating is the MAXIMUM wattage that it is able to produce. In actual use, the
wattage consumed by everything in the system should be less than the maximum...
Ben

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:43:53 GMT, "mc" wrote:

No the power supply chasis fill the width of the tower, so it seem a normal
size..
Model PS-5101-28, Input 100-127 4A, 200-240 2A, Output +5v= 10A
max, -12v=0.2A, +5sb=0.15.
DC output =90w,
combined +5 & 3.3 = 70w
Is it possible to put Too Big of a power supply in?
mc
.. .

Old February 7th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
I found some PS-5101-2B power supplies on eBay. One of the photos
***looks***
like the power supply has a standard 4-hole mounting pattern, but that it
is
less deep than a standard power supply. How much clearance is there
between the
power supply you have and the CD-ROM drive? Measure the depth of the
power
supply and the distance between it and the CD-ROM drive. A standard
sized ATX
power supply is probably too big physically, but I have seen (and I may
have) a
couple that would fit.

I have 1.5" between the ribbon (cd) and the pwer supply. It would be 2"
chasis to chasis not including the ribbon.
The top down dimension is 3", the back to front is 5" the width across the
tower is 6".
So is this a normal size power box?
mc

A power supply can never have too much wattage, only too little. The
wattage
rating is the MAXIMUM wattage that it is able to produce. In actual use,
the
wattage consumed by everything in the system should be less than the
maximum...
Ben

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:43:53 GMT, "mc" wrote:

No the power supply chasis fill the width of the tower, so it seem a
normal
size..
Model PS-5101-28, Input 100-127 4A, 200-240 2A, Output +5v= 10A
max, -12v=0.2A, +5sb=0.15.
DC output =90w,
combined +5 & 3.3 = 70w
Is it possible to put Too Big of a power supply in?
mc
. ..

depth of thread Osiris General 10 August 1st 06 08:00 AM
What happened to the IMD thread? Jeffrey Alsip Compaq Servers 5 September 15th 05 07:55 AM
Wow i just try x2 the thread and it not like it was. DDC Ati Videocards 0 August 21st 05 09:11 PM
Why doesn't - this thread die! Skeptic General 0 May 2nd 05 12:02 AM
doe trolling thread................... JAD Homebuilt PC's 0 February 19th 05 06:03 PM