Question on copy protection

Old June 25th 03, 01:13 AM
Ken Applequist

Default Question on copy protection

Do software companies still generally have a policy of making their CD's
copy protected? I know that piracy is a problem, but I thought that laws
had been put in affect that make it legal to make backup copies. We're
going on vacation this week and I wanted to bring my laptop which has our
family's favorite game, "The Sims" installed. However, I didn't want to
bring the original disk. So I used Nero to create a copy that I could bring.
Everything seemed to work fine (although I gotta admit, it took a LONG time
to do the copy). I'm even able to start the game using that disk, but then
suddenly it says it can't find the CD drive. I gotta figure there was some
kind of glitch in the copy. So, I'm just wondering what the general industry
protocol is these days on copying disks.

Thanks,
Ken

Old June 25th 03, 07:14 PM
Bob Olhsson

In article , Mike Richter
wrote:

The law says that you're allowed to make an archival copy of software

I'm pretty sure that ruling applied specifically to software provided
on floppy disks because it was easy to demonstrate they were
unreliable!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture
Old June 25th 03, 08:38 PM
olfart

Many software licenses allow for making one backup copy as long as it isn't
distributed to anyone.

Old June 26th 03, 06:04 AM
Bob Olhsson

In article , olfart
wrote:

Many software licenses allow for making one backup copy as long as it isn't
distributed to anyone.

This is absolutely true and a commendable practice. But it is not the
law.