Higher multiplier not detected

Old July 25th 03, 10:05 PM
Bart Siebema

Default Higher multiplier not detected

PLEASE HELP!

On my mainboard I can set a multiplier higher than the CPU's default,
yet, the CPU will not run faster. What can I do?

I have an Asus A7V266 board with an Athlon XP 2400+ CPU (@ 133x15).

When I up the multiplier in the BIOS, e.g. to run at 133x16, the CPU
still runs at 133x15 (checked with WCPUID).

Setting the multiplier to 14 on the other hand, DOES work.

Anyone any idea what is happening? How can I solve this?

Kind regards,
Bart

Old July 25th 03, 10:38 PM
Bart Siebema

The board is set to support XP (lower voltage, higher mulipliers),
so I *do* get the higher numbers in the bios,
i can even set and save them
(which cannot be done if a CPU is locked).

Yet, the CPU will not 'recognize' a higher multiplier
than its default value of 15.

So, a BIOS setting of 17x133 results in 2000 MHz... (15x133...)

Anyone any clue? Please?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:18:03 -0400, "BK24"
wrote:

There are jumpers on yhe board that have to be adjusted to achieve the
higher multipliers.
.. .

Old July 26th 03, 06:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:38:51 +0200, Bart Siebema wrote:

The board is set to support XP (lower voltage, higher mulipliers),
so I *do* get the higher numbers in the bios,
i can even set and save them
(which cannot be done if a CPU is locked).

Yet, the CPU will not 'recognize' a higher multiplier
than its default value of 15.

So, a BIOS setting of 17x133 results in 2000 MHz... (15x133...)

Anyone any clue? Please?

Well, I can tell you the problem. Your board dosesn't properly support the
5th multiplier bit. What's the best workaround with your board? I don't
know. But it will sure help if understand how the multipliers work. Only
one thing is for sure. It can be made to work at different multipliers.
Might try setting the multipliers to different settings on the board
itself. See Multiplier Cross ref. in link below to determine how they
translate on boards that only support 4 multiplier bits.

Old July 26th 03, 11:49 PM
rAD

"Bart Siebema" wrote in message
PLEASE HELP!

On my mainboard I can set a multiplier higher than the CPU's default,
yet, the CPU will not run faster. What can I do?

I have an Asus A7V266 board with an Athlon XP 2400+ CPU (@ 133x15).

When I up the multiplier in the BIOS, e.g. to run at 133x16, the CPU
still runs at 133x15 (checked with WCPUID).

Setting the multiplier to 14 on the other hand, DOES work.

Most PC133 will work at 143, why not try 143x15=2145? That will just about
max out what you're system is probably capable of.

Did you look for a BIOS upgrade?