Print to File?

Old May 3rd 05, 06:53 AM
enquirer

Default Print to File?

In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".

Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
the file?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

Old May 3rd 05, 09:43 AM
DaveG

On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:53:02 +0000, enquirer wrote:

If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
the file?

from a DOS box,

copy /b file.ext lpt1:

where lpt1: is the name of the printer device/port

--
For sale: extending dining table and dressing table £40 each
Buyer collects. Details at http://dgmm.net/recycle

Old May 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Chuck

To do this, the printer make and model must be the same, or a generic
postscript driver used.
The file would be readable if a generic text printer driver were used.
When a document or picture is sent(printed) to a file instead of the
printer, the data is normally in a printer ready format, and will not be
readabile with a text editor. A hex editor might allow a user to obtain some
idea of how the file is structured, and what printer control sequences were
used.

Old May 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Hecate

On Tue, 03 May 2005 05:53:02 GMT, "enquirer"
wrote:

In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".

Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
the file?

The easiest way to do this is install the printer driver on the laptop
and then set it as print to file. Then any doc you have on the laptop
can be sent to this "printer". The resulting files can then be used
on your desktop to print from.

--

Hecate - The Real One

Old May 4th 05, 12:30 PM
enquirer

I am using WinXP so can I make a file association so I can dbl click the
file.

Printer is on a USB port.

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

news

Old May 4th 05, 05:53 PM
Davide Guolo

enquirer,

Printer is on a USB port.

you have to share the printer, just like a network printer, then:

COPY filename.prn \\mypc\printer_shared_name

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Old May 5th 05, 04:40 AM
Bob Headrick

"enquirer" wrote in message
In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".

Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box, and
view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

The easiest way to handle your situation would be to set the printer to "work
offline". You can then send things to the printer, and they will be held in
the queue until you reconnect. XP may do this for you automatically; I have a
printer at home on a wireless network and occasionally it starts printing when
I get home and my computer (still in the briefcase) gets in range. If not
automatically you can click on the printer icon in the toolbar or go to start,
printers and faxes then right click on the printer and select "use printer
offline".

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 5th 05, 10:37 PM
enquirer

O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)

Computer name is: bideford mc
Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
File name is: printtst.prn
Drive is C:

From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
"startRuncommand" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
line, but no blue or underlined)
COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650

I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
wrong?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

Old May 5th 05, 10:53 PM
measekite

enquirer wrote:

O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)

Computer name is: bideford mc
Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
File name is: printtst.prn
Drive is C:

From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
"startRuncommand" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
line, but no blue or underlined)
COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650

I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
wrong?

Try this:

COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

Notice the _ was replaced by a \ after bideford

Let ne know if it works.

Old May 6th 05, 12:53 AM
Spamless

On 2005-05-05, measekite wrote:

COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

Don't you want a "/b" in the copy in case it has an embedded
CTRL-Z which, in text files, would indicate the end of the
file and might truncate the copy?

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Could not perform fixation? Princess Morgiah Cdr 8 June 27th 04 02:30 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
parhelia w/ 3 monitors tony wong Matrox Videocards 16 September 12th 03 03:59 AM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM