Static is [not] your friend - vacuuming PC?

Old October 27th 04, 12:25 PM
Sammo

Default Static is [not] your friend - vacuuming PC?

In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Sammo

Old October 27th 04, 12:46 PM
Palindr☻me

Sammo wrote:
In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Electrostatic discharge can produce some intersting effects
on semiconductors and the risk shouldn't be discounted.

However I have cleaned out the interior of countless cases
with no apparent ill effect- using a soft haired paintbrush
in one hand whilst hovering over the area with the nozzle of
a domestic vacuum cleaner in the other. Due to the nature of
the job, one hand or both is in contact with the case most
of the time and so there is little chance for static build
up on the nozzle/your body/brush. Touching the case before
introducing the brush is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer to have the case sat on an esd mat to
leaving it plugged in - not so much from the static point of
view but a marked reluctance to work on anything with power
on or connected, unless unavoidable (like, I don't have the
mat with me).

Not to be done to a laser printer, but for other reasons.

--

Sue

Old October 27th 04, 01:05 PM
Cuzman

"Sammo" wrote in message

" In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using a
vacuum cleaner? "

IMO it's still not safe at all. Buy a can of compressed-air from an
electrical hardware store.

Old October 27th 04, 01:09 PM
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"Sammo" wrote in message
In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Static can be caused by the brush bristles. Use compressed air instead.

Sammo

Old October 27th 04, 02:34 PM
Jerry G.

Using a vacuum cleaner in a PC, or any electronics devices using CMOS
technology is not safe at all. It does not matter how well everything is
grounded. The fact of having a motion contact using device that uses an
insulating material can cause a static build-up. You can read up on static
electricity generation for details.

Even handling the circuit boards under some conditions are at risk for
damage from static electricity. Most of the appliances of today, such as
TV's, radios, VCR's, DVD's, and many other types of devices are using CMOS
devices. Great care should be taken when handling these devices. I have seen
units damaged from improper handling.

The proper way to clean any electronics equipment is to use filtered
compressed air. The unit and the operator of the compressed air must be in
contact to each other in reference to the unit's ground plain (metal case
for example), to prevent any potential difference between them.

The compressed air blown from a distance of at least 6 to 10 inches will
give no effect to build up static charges, and cause any problems with the
device being cleaned.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

Old October 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Noozer

"Sammo" wrote in message
In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

DON'T DO IT

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

By leaving the PC grounded you are giving static a perfect path from the
vacuum, through your parts, to ground... GREATLY increasing the risk of
damage.

Use compressed air!

Old October 27th 04, 03:46 PM
Floyd L. Davidson

Sammo wrote:
In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

The web page descriptions are indeed fairly funny, if you know
what they are talking about. But I highly suspect anyone with a
limited background in Electro Static Discharge will be more
confused than not.

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Yep. Quite a lot.

*Moving* *dry* *air* around is a great way to build up a static
charge on any component that is an insulator.

Hence *compressed* *dry* *air* and *vacuum* *cleaners* are not
good ideas. In fact, compressed air might be worse because it
can forcefully blast dust into places it wouldn't otherwise go.

If you get enough charge (a few thousand volts, for example, is
common), it will then break down the insulation between the
charge and the next nearest object that is either also holding a
charge or is able to dissipate the charge (e.g., a conductor).
The current flow when that happens is what kills your computer.
And it isn't just that specific current, but also any current
induced into other conductors as a result of that current.

The way to get the dust out of a computer case safely is to use
a damp rag to manually pick up dust. It shouldn't be so wet
that it drips moisture (though that isn't necessarily bad
either, see below), but needs to be damp enough that dust will
stick to it and static cannot build up on it. I personally
prefer to have a large bowl of water mixed with a little
household cleaner (such as 409 or Mr. Clean), in which the dust
rag (a well worn bathroom wash cloth or a thin dish towel, is
nice) is washed as it get dirty. The soapy water in the bowl
should be changed somewhat regularly too, i.e. when it gets so
dirty that as much dirt moves from the water to the rag as from
the rag to the water!

Which type of soap to use does make a difference. The idea is
something that will dissolve any grease film or other coating
that might be present, but even more important is that it be a
good water dispersant. Automatic dishwater soap is perhaps the
best in that respect.

Note that there aren't many things which can actually be damaged
by water itself. Disk drives or CRDOM/DVD drives (things with
moving parts) can be damage by water. But keyboards and
motherboards can be totally immersed in water without damage.
Any time that a system is *really* dirty, or is taken apart for
other reasons, it makes sense to literally wash the device in a
kitchen sink with a solution of soapy water, and then rinse it
off with a water spray if you have one of those handy spray
hoses meant for cleaning dishes.

If the water supply is very hard (filled with minerals) and will
leave a residue, use a final bath of rubbing alcohol. Otherwise
a very dilute solution of automatic dishwater soap is probably best.
(It will leave a very thin film of water dispersant, loaded with
water, on everything. That will help protect against static and
it will also reduce dust build up because of reduced static build
up.)

After such a dunking it takes considerable time to be sure that
the water has dried completely. In places where the humidity is
low that will happen in a day or two anyway, so just put it on
the shelf and wait. Otherwise one method is to use a kitchen
oven on warm, leave the door partially open and put the device
inside the oven for several hours.

But *don't* use compressed air, vacuum cleaners, plastic brushes,
or synthetic cloth to clean a computer. And don't do it on a
day when the relative humidity is 10% either.

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 27th 04, 04:13 PM
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
good water dispersant. Automatic dishwater soap is perhaps
the best in that respect.

Aaaakkk! No! Dishwasher machine soap (Cascade) is one of
the nastiest cleaners I know. Full of trisodium phosphate,
silicates and calcium hypochlorite. Perhaps you mean
dishwasher anti-spot filming agent (JetDry). This stuff
should be very benign when diluted.

Anybody have any good experiences cleaning IBM Model
"M" keyboards in a (soapless) dishwasher?

But *don't* use compressed air, vacuum cleaners, plastic
brushes, or synthetic cloth to clean a computer. And don't
do it on a day when the relative humidity is 10% either.

Well, I guess in AK you have to worry about the latter

I'm less worried about compressed air than I am about vaccuum
because compressed air nozzles are easier to ground and less
likely to contact parts. Static can build up from moving gas
past parts, but the parts should drain that small amount away.
It's bigger (perhaps still invisible) discharges that cause
trouble.

-- Robert

Old October 27th 04, 04:41 PM
Floyd L. Davidson

Robert Redelmeier wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
good water dispersant. Automatic dishwater soap is perhaps
the best in that respect.

Aaaakkk! No! Dishwasher machine soap (Cascade) is one of
the nastiest cleaners I know. Full of trisodium phosphate,
silicates and calcium hypochlorite. Perhaps you mean
dishwasher anti-spot filming agent (JetDry). This stuff
should be very benign when diluted.

Yep, that's a bad one. Another good wetting agent is Photo Flo,
sold by the gallon for darkroom use (or in smaller quantities at
exorbitant prices).

Anybody have any good experiences cleaning IBM Model
"M" keyboards in a (soapless) dishwasher?

But *don't* use compressed air, vacuum cleaners, plastic
brushes, or synthetic cloth to clean a computer. And don't
do it on a day when the relative humidity is 10% either.

Well, I guess in AK you have to worry about the latter

Depends on where. E.g., humidity in Arizona, New Mexico, and
west Texas is low. It is in the Alaskan interior too.

The current relative humidity here is 70%, and that is typical.

I'm less worried about compressed air than I am about vaccuum
because compressed air nozzles are easier to ground and less
likely to contact parts. Static can build up from moving gas
past parts, but the parts should drain that small amount away.
It's bigger (perhaps still invisible) discharges that cause
trouble.

"Moving gas" is probably one of the *worst* offenders (next to
cats and walking on carpets), and is exactly what is wrong with
using a vacuum cleaner. There is no difference between that
and compressed air, as far as static goes. Grounding the nozzle
is not useful, other than to prevent a direct discharge from
buildup on the nozzle itself. And it is *not* reasonable to
expect either small or large charges to drain harmlessly away
from components.

The whole concept of using moving air is a disaster plan!

Of course, if the relative humidity is 50% or above... the
chances are fair that no damage will be done. If it is more
like 6%, either use full protection or you *will* get bit. (I
lived in Fairbanks for a couple decades, where at -40F in the
winter you can almost be assured that the relative humidity
inside any building that does not have a humidifier will be well
below 10%. You don't need a carpet! Just the wrong shoes or
shirt will be enough...)

Old October 27th 04, 06:50 PM
CBFalconer

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote:
"Sammo" wrote in message

In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by
using a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth)
and I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home
vacuum cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Static can be caused by the brush bristles. Use compressed air
instead.

facetious
Avoid all static problems by using a grounded wire brush g.
/facetious

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Static Electricity? geezer General 9 February 20th 05 11:35 PM
Static is [not] your friend - vacuuming PC? Sammo General 77 November 2nd 04 05:38 PM
Processor heat dissipation, Leakage current, voltages & clockspeed The little lost angel General 21 November 1st 04 03:43 AM
Anti-static floor mats? Cheap or alternative? LRW General 11 March 1st 04 04:41 AM
static philo General 6 January 21st 04 03:06 PM