E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

Old December 12th 16, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

Ben Myers wrote in
:

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 11:21:49 PM UTC-5, pjp wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in
news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

I have a Dell E510 that has been running Windows 7 Ultimate
fine for a while. I put it on the shelf in October 2015, and
brought it back out last night. I forgot the password, so I
used the Dell supplied OS disk, went into repair, and used the
sethc.exe method to reset the password:

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-t...our-forgotten-

wind
ows- password-the-easy-way/

This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green
to orange (power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and
the mouse light goes out. I can hear the power supply fan
still going. Thinking it may have been a problem with the
discrete video card, I removed it and set to use the onboard
video. Same problem. The problem also exists in all Safe
Modes.

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the
thing stays on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me
to enter my password, but as soon as I do, everything goes out
either immediately after hitting Enter, or a few seconds after
the desktop comes up. I've tried a different monitor, too, but
same problem.

Any ideas?

TIA

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message
that flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went
black. I took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched
the particular two frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the
desktop?
On an LCD monitor, the OSD is supposed to display
"Out of Range" when the resolution or refresh is wrong.
A typical "problem" is the Refresh getting set to 150Hz
by a corruption of some kind. The normal LCD refresh is
60Hz.

*******

I thought the idea was to enter safe mode and select the lowest res
allowed. Then boot back into normal mode which should also load that
low res and then up it to what you want, e.g. set it to 800x600 in
safe mode and assuming you then get a screen under normal mode try
upping res until it stops working. If it's not what you expect at
that point you can diagnose further. I've had to do that a few times
years ago mucking with video cards and monitors before hardware
worked itself out.

You might also try deleting the video driver under Device manager in
safe mode and see what happens when it redetects video card when
booted normally.

Yep, those are good ideas.

Yes, those are very good ideas. However, there comes a time when trying
to fix things is no longer fun, and you just want to reinstall. A
reinstall was fine with me, bacause there was nothing I needed to backup
or save. This was my son's pc that he didn't use anymore. Besides, I
thought I'd just reinstall the Dell OEM Windows XP Media Center Edition
2005 that came with the machine. I had the entire set of disks. So,
that's what I did. As a standalone (not connected to home network or
internet, it works fine. But, I have another problem that for the life
of me, I can't figure out. I'm starting another thread for this
problem. Briefly, it's that I can't get the ethernet controller
installed, and therefore, can't connect to the internet. (I don't care
about connecting to my own home ethernet/wireless network.)

Please see my new post. It will be only in the alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
newsgroup.

Thanks much.

Old December 13th 16, 10:42 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , pjp
writes:
In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[]
OS disk, went into repair, and used the sethc.exe method to reset
the password:

[]
This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green to
orange (power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and the
mouse light goes out. I can hear the power supply fan still going.
Thinking it may have been a problem with the discrete video card, I
removed it and set to use the onboard video. Same problem. The

***
problem also exists in all Safe Modes.

***

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the thing
stays on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me to enter my
password, but as soon as I do, everything goes out either
immediately after hitting Enter, or a few seconds after the desktop
comes up. I've tried a different monitor, too, but same problem.

That brief glimpse is significant: it suggests the computer (with
whichever video hardware you're using) _is_ generating the display.
Although the keyboard and mouse lights going off is odd - but may be the
computer detects an I'm-unhappy signal from the monitor, and shuts down
(partially). If you get to the point where you've entered the password,
but not pressed return, and unplug the monitor (VGA connection or
something fancier?) at that point, do the keyboard and mouse lights stay
on? If they do, press return (with the monitor still disconnected), and
see if they _still_ stay on. This _might_ tell us something.

Yet another monitor - an old CRT one - might also tell you something.
[]
I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message that
flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went black. I
took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched the particular two
frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

Ah, there's the problem: the monitor works best if only refreshed about
every 15 seconds. I suspect it said 68 Hz, not 68 mHz ... (-:

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the desktop?
On an LCD monitor, the OSD is supposed to display
"Out of Range" when the resolution or refresh is wrong.
A typical "problem" is the Refresh getting set to 150Hz
by a corruption of some kind. The normal LCD refresh is
60Hz.

That's why I said a CRT one might help.

*******

I thought the idea was to enter safe mode and select the lowest res
allowed. Then boot back into normal mode which should also load that low
res and then up it to what you want, e.g. set it to 800x600 in safe mode
and assuming you then get a screen under normal mode try upping res
until it stops working. If it's not what you expect at that point you
can diagnose further. I've had to do that a few times years ago mucking
with video cards and monitors before hardware worked itself out.

You might also try deleting the video driver under Device manager in
safe mode and see what happens when it redetects video card when booted
normally.

Unfortunately, Boris says the "problem also exists in all Safe Modes"
(his capitals).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

What has happened since 1979, I suspect, is that the spotting of mistakes has
become entirely associated with mean-spiritedness, snobbishness and
judgementalism. But...can be...funny and interesting.
Lynn Truss, RT 2015/2/21-27
Old December 14th 16, 05:44 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

In message ,
pjp writes:
In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in
news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[]
[...]

I elminated the need for a password, so that's not a problem anymore.
But, it still turns off under other circumstances.

Yet another monitor - an old CRT one - might also tell you something.
[]

I got rid of all my CRTs long ago. Too bulky, and I have lots of LCDs
now.

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message
that flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went
black. I took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched the
particular two frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

Ah, there's the problem: the monitor works best if only refreshed
about every 15 seconds. I suspect it said 68 Hz, not 68 mHz ... (-:

Yeah, 68 Hz (-:

[...]

Yes.

Old December 14th 16, 11:23 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message 8, Boris
writes:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

[]
down (partially). If you get to the point where you've entered the
password, but not pressed return, and unplug the monitor (VGA
connection or something fancier?) at that point, do the keyboard and
mouse lights stay on? If they do, press return (with the monitor still
disconnected), and see if they _still_ stay on. This _might_ tell us
something.

I elminated the need for a password, so that's not a problem anymore.
But, it still turns off under other circumstances.

Other than powersaving (which presumably you can wake up from, or
disable), have you determined what those circumstances are?
[]
I got rid of all my CRTs long ago. Too bulky, and I have lots of LCDs
now.

I still have one or two - they can sometimes help with circumstances
like this.
[]
Unfortunately, Boris says the "problem also exists in all Safe Modes"
(his capitals).

Yes.

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

So, Heresy be damned (well, it would be, wouldn't it?).
Radio Times 24-30 July 2010 (page 24)
Old December 14th 16, 07:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
VanguardLH[_2_]

Boris wrote:

I have lots of LCDs now.

Does the monitor have input select? That is, does the monitor have VGA,
DVI, and HDMI inputs? If so, have you tried using the monitor's control
to switch between inputs to see if it detects an active signal on one of
them?

Did you do any customization in the LCD you are using now? If so, does
it have a reset (back to factory-time defaults)?

Can you test with a different LCD monitor on the problematic computer?
Old December 15th 16, 05:57 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

VanguardLH wrote in :

Boris wrote:

I have lots of LCDs now.

Does the monitor have input select? That is, does the monitor have
VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs?

Just 15 DBA pin VGA.

If so, have you tried using the monitor's control
to switch between inputs to see if it detects an active signal on one
of them?

Did you do any customization in the LCD you are using now? If so,
does it have a reset (back to factory-time defaults)?

No and No.

Can you test with a different LCD monitor on the problematic computer?

I have done that, with no luck. Same problem on ANY monitor.

Old December 15th 16, 06:42 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

VanguardLH wrote in :

Boris on 2016/12/10 wrote:

Paul wrote in
news
Boris wrote:
[...]

Safe Mode gets you in (F8),
but I don't know what to do when you get there :-(

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...safe-mode.html

The thing is, there are a couple different places
in the Registry where display resolutions are held,
and I don't have a good technical reference web page
to offer you on the topic.

Even if you uninstall a video driver, the resolution
info is not removed or corrected. So trying a video
driver won't help. But it's the only obvious
option to try.

Paul

On this particular Dell model:
F2 is Safe Mode, etc
F12 is Setup

. I was able to get into Safe Mode, and the desktop came up, I
right clicked on an empty spot on the desktop and left clicked
Resolution, and the Resolution applet came up. I was able to set to
1280 x 1024, default refresh. I was able to roam all over, and the
desk worked fine.
But, when I restarted, it went dark at the desktop. Back to Safe
Mode,
I was able to see the proper resolution was still active.

Think I'm ready to System Restore to July 2015.

Presumably you elected to keep the resolution instead of just test it.
Do you know what is the maximum resolution of your LCD monitor? That
should also be its native resolution and what you you want to use.

Max resolution is 1280 x 1024, and I was able to set that and maintain
that.

If Windows' safe mode lets you log in okay, disable all startup
programs and test booting Windows into normal mode and logging in.
You could use msconfig.exe to disable startup programs. You can
select them one by one or just use the option to start up cleanly.
Could be you have a startup program causing the problem.

The machine will now start up ok in normal mode. I've disabled the four
start up programs, but still same problem.

I decided to reinstall the OS again. I formatted the hard drive and did
a clean install. Same problem.

I suspected a hard drive problem, so I booted into the Utility
Diagnostics. It gave me an error 7, which is hard drive, but Dell site
tells me that that utility is only good for 80GB and smaller drives, and
one always gets this error on larger drives, But, I guess it could
still be a valid error.

I was able to get FireFox installed, but the problem persists when I got
to Dell dot com. That is, the machine shuts off. Ironic. (

I was able to install SP3 from a CD I had. It installed successfully.
I then began to get automatic updates show up in the system tray. I did
an Express Install, but it shut down. I tried a Custome install, but it
shut down. I kept trying Express installs, because IE8 was in there,
but it shut down again. Another try at Express install worked, but when
I said Restart, it installed them all but shut down when finished.

I rebooted, and a few more Auto Updates showed up and were installed
successfully.

I launched FireFox, cruised around for a while alright, but when I went
to Dell dot com, it shut down. Sometimes FireFox will open to it's home
page, and when I begin to type in a URL, the machine shuts down
immediately.

I suspected bad memory, so I tried the same type (DDR2) of known good
memory, but no luck.

I wonder if the power supply is flakey, but I doubt it because the
machine will stay on overnight if I don't do something to cause a shut
down.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE MACHINE "SHUTS DOWN"

This is not a normal shut down. The machine doesn't give me a BSOD or
lock up when it shuts down, What happens is that the monitor goes black,
which indicates no incoming signal from pc, and the keyboard lights go
off. Both the processor and power supply stay on, and the green light
on the motherboard stays on. The network light (amber) stays on.
Again, all of this indicates no signal to peripherals, even though
everything indicates the machine is on. If this was just a video
problem, I'd expect the keyboard lights to stay on. Hmmm...if there's a
CD in the CD ROM, I can't open the CD ROM.

The hard drive indicator light stays solid green, and doesn't blink with
activity. By the way, it never shows activity, even when I can hear
activity during file copying.

The green light on the motherboard stays green. The power supply fan
spins, and I can feel the hard drive is on, but hear no head movement.

During POST, the front panel diagnostic lights blink out the numbers,
but don't stay light once POST is done.

There are no suspicious logs in the event log.

Before doing any trouble shooting, I cleaned out the pc very good,
unplugged all connectors, memory, and boards, and plugged back in, and I
applied new thermal heat paste to the processor. The heat sink only
gets luke warm to warm to the touch. The macine has stayed on for hours
during formats and reinstalls of the OS.

The CMOS battery is almost 11 years old, but I'm not loosing time.

I was just letting the machine auto download more auto updates, and it
shut down. I didn't touch it.

I was also just able to install Belarc Advisor from a USB drive, and it
did it's analysis, but when I went to maximize the results window, it
shut down. I just rebooted, clicked off the Belarc analysis again, and
when it was presented on screen, I was able this time to maximize.

I suspect thewrong chipset/video driver. I've tried the one that came
with the Dell CD, and two different ones that show up for my service
tag, each time on a clean OS install.

This one's really got me.
Old December 15th 16, 07:10 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Zaidy036[_3_]

Boris wrote:
VanguardLH wrote in :

Boris on 2016/12/10 wrote:

Paul wrote in
news
Boris wrote:
[...]

.

Mem Test ?

--
Zaidy036
Old December 15th 16, 11:34 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

Boris wrote in
09.88:

I decided to reinstall the OS again. I formatted the hard drive
and did a clean install. Same problem.
[...]
I was able to install SP3 from a CD I had. It installed successfully.
I then began to get automatic updates show up in the system tray.
I did an Express Install, but it shut down. I tried a Custome
install, but it shut down.
[...]
This is not a normal shut down. The machine doesn't give me a BSOD
or lock up when it shuts down, What happens is that the monitor
goes black, which indicates no incoming signal from pc, and the
keyboard lights go off. Both the processor and power supply stay
on, and the green light on the motherboard stays on. The network
light (amber) stays on.
[...]
This one's really got me.

Boris,

All the additional information you've provided sounds vaguely reminiscent
of the symptoms customers were experiencing during an industry-wide
scandal a decade ago over bad capacitors. That scandal hit all the major
brands--Apple, Lenovo, HP, and especially Dell--mostly their Optiplex
models. (Do a google search if you want to learn more.)

Now that I think about it, the E510 was first released during the same
era.

In fact, it occurred to me my wife is still using a E510. Her computer is
still running fine, so I hadn't put two and two together and didn't
consider whether the E510 might be susceptible to the bad cap problem,
but I suppose some E510's could be.

That's when I decided to go take a peek inside her E510. Guess what?
She's got two bad capacitors!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...TJOQU4ySUFXdzA

The first four photos show the two bad caps, as indicated by their
bulging tops. Note all the good caps have tops that are flat. The two bad
caps are even starting to leak a bit of yellowish electrolyte.

As I said, her computer has been working fine. But I now realize it's
just a matter of time before she starts getting the symptoms you're
experiencing. I'll have to put it on my to-do list to pick up a pair of
820uf electrolytics and replace them on her motherboard before they fail
completely.

I don't know if you're having the same problem (perhaps with different
caps), but this has taught me the E510 is indeed susceptible, so it's
probably something you may want to consider.