Cartridge vents and solvents

Old May 2nd 09, 01:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
species8350

Default Cartridge vents and solvents

Hi,

A friend was filling his cartridge the other day and asked me the
following questions.

'My cartridge has a small air vent.

The instructions on the leaflet said "widen it, fill, then replace any
labels below the vent".

He said: 'since the vent was block by a label in the first place why
leave it open now just because its bigger?

I don't know.

He asked me what I thought the head cleaning solvent was. My guess is
that it was probably iso-propyl alcohol. But this is just a guess.

Any thought on the above two questions?

Thanks

Old May 2nd 09, 03:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:
Hi,

A friend was filling his cartridge the other day and asked me the
following questions.

'My cartridge has a small air vent.

The instructions on the leaflet said "widen it, fill, then replace any
labels below the vent".

He said: 'since the vent was block by a label in the first place why
leave it open now just because its bigger?

I don't know.

He asked me what I thought the head cleaning solvent was. My guess is
that it was probably iso-propyl alcohol. But this is just a guess.

Any thought on the above two questions?

Thanks

My thought is that the vent should be as close to original as
possible. It depends on the cart, but in some cases the vent cannot be
too large or ink will leak out the bottom and if it's too restricted,
ink won't flow properly on large items.

True head cleaners probably have more than alcohol, but alcohol has
worked for me. Other solvents like Castrol Super clean are great for
cleaning up spilled ink, but they leave an undesirable residue that
will clog heads if not flushed. So I go with alcohol or even hot water
under pressure of a Water-Pik or syringe. When you purchase refill ink
they often include cleaning products with the kits.

My further thought is that sometimes the refill instructions are not
100% correct. Your own experimentation with a given cart can sometimes
hit on an improvement.
Old May 2nd 09, 04:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
species8350

On May 2, 3:51*pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

hit on an improvement.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the response.

I noticed that the vent hole was very small and was covered with a
label. So it appears that venting was not possible. So I was suprised
to read in the leaflet that the enlarged hole should be left open?

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

Old May 2nd 09, 05:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Peter

species8350 wrote:
On May 2, 3:51 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

I don't know what brand you are working with, but quite a few have the
vent apparently covered by the label, but on close inspection there is a
serpentine groove leading to the label edge
Old May 3rd 09, 01:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
species8350

On May 2, 5:10*pm, Peter wrote:
species8350 wrote:
On May 2, 3:51 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

I don't know what brand you are working with, but quite a few have the
vent apparently covered by the label, but on close inspection there is a
serpentine groove leading to the label edge- Hide quoted text -

Quite right,

I have noticed the groove, interesting geometry.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 09, 02:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

If you could mention which printer model and cartridge it might be
easier to discuss this.

The types of inks used (and therefore the appropriate solvents) differs
considerably between model and brands of printers. Epson has about 6
different basic ink formulations (and subcategories among them).

The cartridge designs also vary tremendously, from ones with sponges or
batting, to ones with only a hole, to some with semi-permeable
membranes, to ones with mechanical spring loaded valves, etc.

As mentioned, the label on the type you are likely referring to, is
there to reduce evaporation and oxidation while still maintaining a
method to equalize pressure within the cartridge as it drains.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old May 3rd 09, 06:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Sat, 02 May 2009 17:10:33 +0100, Peter wrote:

species8350 wrote:
On May 2, 3:51 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

I don't know what brand you are working with, but quite a few have the
vent apparently covered by the label, but on close inspection there is a
serpentine groove leading to the label edge

He does not know what brand either because the vendor will not disclose
the mfg.
Old May 3rd 09, 08:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:
On Sat, 02 May 2009 17:10:33 +0100, Peter wrote:

species8350 wrote:
On May 2, 3:51 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

I don't know what brand you are working with, but quite a few have the
vent apparently covered by the label, but on close inspection there is a
serpentine groove leading to the label edge

He does not know what brand either because the vendor will not disclose
the mfg.

STFU you moron!
Old May 5th 09, 11:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Tue, 05 May 2009 15:25:16 -0500, Joel wrote:

species8350 wrote:

On May 2, 3:51Â*pm, wrote:
On May 2, 8:03 am, species8350
wrote:

[...]

From what you have said, it appears that flodding will not be
possible. The cartridge appears to work on head cleaning runs. Looks
like it might be alright.

Best wishes

There so many different brands and type of cartridge, and it may be
bet

They are not brands but generic stuff from china
ter
to use the newer refillable ink cartridge which is a clear plasic,
foamless, they often come with ARC so you can continue to refill until
you get tired of it. The cartridge should have 2 same size holes (1)
air vent and (2) refill hole, it should come with the PLUG for you to
plug one hole while sucking other hole to force the equal INK volume to
the AIR volume it sucks, so it won't have air bubble issue.

IOW, instead of pumping ink to the empty cartridge, you PULL the
syringe
to suck the air from cartridge, then the ink will be sucked into
cartridge to replace the volume of air.

Old May 5th 09, 11:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

measekite wrote:
They are not brands but generic stuff from china

Did you get your generic village idiot brain from China too? Where did
you get that COMPATIBLE photo paper you use?