Thermal Grease Compound

Old November 15th 04, 11:05 PM
Mr Koko

Default Thermal Grease Compound

Is dielectric grease the same as thermal grease , and can I use it instead?
I already have dielectric grease is why I ask.

Mr Koko

Old November 16th 04, 12:24 AM
Lordy

"Martin" wrote in news:41993a51$0$20781
:

"Mr Koko" wrote in message
Is dielectric grease the same as thermal grease , and can I use it
instead?
I already have dielectric grease is why I ask.

Mr Koko

No

why not? *playing Devil's Advocate*

--
Lordy
Old November 16th 04, 12:33 AM
Mr Koko

Ok, I get the message.
Let me ask this... Is the thermal tape better than the compound?
I read somewhere that trying to take apart a heatsink from cpu after a while that had the "grease"
was difficult because it kinda baked together and you could possible separate the chip. The tape is
suppose to come apart easier. Any thoughts?

MrKoko

Old November 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Martin

"Mr Koko" wrote in message
Is dielectric grease the same as thermal grease , and can I use it
instead?
I already have dielectric grease is why I ask.

Mr Koko

No

why not? *playing Devil's Advocate*

--
Lordy

why not?
simple, it's not the same stuff. Although, some thermal compounds may have
some properties of dielectric grease in their ingredients, it's still not
the same.

Old November 16th 04, 12:54 AM
spodosaurus

Mr Koko wrote:
Ok, I get the message.
Let me ask this... Is the thermal tape better than the compound?
I read somewhere

Where? I'd like to see that!

that trying to take apart a heatsink from cpu after a while that had the "grease"
was difficult because it kinda baked together and you could possible separate the chip. The tape is
suppose to come apart easier. Any thoughts?

MrKoko

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old November 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Matt

Mr Koko wrote:
Ok, I get the message.
Let me ask this... Is the thermal tape better than the compound?
I read somewhere that trying to take apart a heatsink from cpu after a while that had the "grease"
was difficult because it kinda baked together and you could possible separate the chip. The tape is
suppose to come apart easier. Any thoughts?

MrKoko

Use this:

Heat Sink Grease
$1.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 276-1372 Model: 276-1372
Old November 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Martin

"Mr Koko" wrote in message
Ok, I get the message.
Let me ask this... Is the thermal tape better than the compound?
I read somewhere that trying to take apart a heatsink from cpu after a
while that had the "grease" was difficult because it kinda baked together
and you could possible separate the chip. The tape is suppose to come
apart easier. Any thoughts?

MrKoko

Some thermal tapes are excellent while others are not. It depends on what
they are made of. There is one type (can't remember the name) that came with
some heat sinks that was fantastic (not the pink stuff). Furthermore, I've
always had more trouble cleaning off the tape than thermal paste.

Thermal tape in my opinion is defiantly a one use product. In other words,
if you remove the heatsink for some reason you should clean off the tape and
use thermal compound.

I've never seen thermal compound bake the cpu to the heatsink that made it
difficult to remove without doing damage. Some are just harder to clean off
after a while than others and do appear to be hard and sort of baked on I
guess.

I changed a heatsink on a system this past weekend, that I had put on about
two years ago. The thermal paste come off without any trouble at all and
still looked like it did when I first applied it. I wish I could remember
what the hell I used back then.

Old November 16th 04, 01:12 AM
Martin

I meant to say definitely, not defiantly. lol

Old November 16th 04, 01:37 AM
John Doe

"Martin" wrote:
"Lordy" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote
"Mr Koko" wrote in message

Is dielectric grease the same as thermal grease , and can I use it
instead?
I already have dielectric grease is why I ask.

No

why not? *playing Devil's Advocate*

why not?
simple, it's not the same stuff.

Chocolate milk is not the same as water.

Although, some thermal compounds may have some properties of dielectric

grease in their ingredients, it's still not
the same.

If thermal grease were much less expensive and did almost as well as
dielectric grease, then thermal grease would be used but dielectric grease
would be better even though it is different.