Quickcam Communicate STX: WTF do I need this cd for when updating drivers?

Old November 3rd 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Andreas Eibach

Default Quickcam Communicate STX: WTF do I need this cd for when updating drivers?

Hi there

has anyone ever found out WHICH file this installer needs from my CD
although I'm downloading an update from the LT website? I admit I'm not
the neatest person on this planet and I effing hate to always search for
this damn cd. Other hardware does not need the CD either when installing
updated drivers from the web, so why this one?

Is this for no obvious reason in terms of "security"? To identify myself
as a legal buyer of the cam or what? Now, that would be a "bit"
ridiculous as it would be easy-as-pie to circumvent.

Once you guys tell me or I have found out myself which file it needs
from the CD, I'll copy off the file(s), pack the thing into some random
cabinet and forget about it.

-Andreas

Old November 5th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

Andreas Eibach wrote:
Hi there

has anyone ever found out WHICH file this installer needs from my CD
although I'm downloading an update from the LT website? I admit I'm not
the neatest person on this planet and I effing hate to always search for
this damn cd. Other hardware does not need the CD either when installing
updated drivers from the web, so why this one?

Is this for no obvious reason in terms of "security"? To identify myself
as a legal buyer of the cam or what? Now, that would be a "bit"
ridiculous as it would be easy-as-pie to circumvent.

Once you guys tell me or I have found out myself which file it needs
from the CD, I'll copy off the file(s), pack the thing into some random
cabinet and forget about it.

-Andreas

Ummm....is there any reason WHY you needed to update the
drivers/software? Unless something went horribly wrong with the
software/drivers for the camera causing it not to work and
uninstalling/reinstalling it didn't fix the problem, then I can't see
any need to to update anything.