recommendation for a Laser printer

Old August 20th 07, 03:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

Default recommendation for a Laser printer

"Rob" wrote in message

: : I'm in the market for a cheaper colour laser printer.
: :
: : Looking at the Epson C1100.
: :
: : or is there something else which would be better more
: : reliable etc
: :
: : Help appreciated.
: :
: :
: : thanks
: :
: : r

It all depends on your usage pattern. I'm a fairly light user and have
found the HP 2605dn an excellent choice.

Ivor

Old August 20th 07, 04:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Rob" wrote in message

[snip]

: : I actually had not considered some of the points you
: : mentioned.
: :
: : Did note the printers came with a short supply of toner
: : which ever printer you buy.

The HP 2605dn doesn't. It comes with a full set of normal cartridges rated
at 2000 pages for the 3 colours and 2500 for the black.

Ivor

Old August 20th 07, 04:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

: : In article q4Mxi.68227$_d2.22997@pd7urf3no,
: : Arthur Entlich wrote:
: :
: : : Check to see if you can expand memory and if standard
: : : memory can be used or it it is proprietary and likely
: : : quite costly
: :
: : I did my analysis and decided on an HP 3800dtn,
: : although it isn't locally available in that
: : configuration. Then I looked at the cost and decided
: : to compromise on the HP 2605dn, which is sold in most
: : office supply stores and weighs a lot less.
: :
: : One feature that attracted me was HP's statement that
: : the 2605 used "industry standard" memory. It may be
: : standard, but no one carries it around here, not even
: : the stores that sell the printer. HP doesn't even have
: : the maximum-size listed. I had to do a lot of
: : searching on the web to find a source, although it
: : wasn't very expensive.
: :
: : The 2605dn came with a set of full toner cartridges. I
: : think it is up to about 2000 copies now on the original
: : set, although the black toner is getting low.
: :
: : I didn't realize I was going to use the 2605 as much
: : when I bought it. It is so much faster than an inkjet,
: : that I print stuff I wouldn't have printed before.
: :
: : Fred

I concur; the 2605dn is an excellent printer. I've had mine since March
and have printed around 1500 pages and still have plenty of the original
toner left.

There is one small niggling problem though, the counter figures for the
pages remaining count seem to go up and down, they don't go down by the
number of pages printed. This is not a major problem as the graphs
indicate the approximate level, but it does seem odd. Maybe a firmware
bug, have you experienced this, Fred..?

The memory is a good point, but it didn't take me long to find it on the
Crucial website and it was delivered within 48 hours.

Ivor

Old August 20th 07, 04:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com

[snip]

: : If you dont mind me asking, why consider a colour laser
: : in the first place over an ink jet?
: :
: : Do you think they will print colour documents cheaply?

No, but they print on a far wider choice of paper, in better quality and a
*lot* faster.

Ivor

Old August 20th 07, 06:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article .com,
" wrote:

If you dont mind me asking, why consider a colour laser in the first
place over an ink jet?

Do you think they will print colour documents cheaply?

Rudi-

I can't speak for Rob, but I do find the cost of printing less expensive
on the Laser Printer. Toner is expensive, but you get thousands of
prints compared to a hundred or so from an ink jet. It also takes me a
LOT longer to run out of toner than ink, when printing the same amount.

You may argue for refilling ink cartridges to save cost. That's OK if
you want to mess with it. I used to re-ink my ribbons on the old Epson
MX-80 printer, and it was more of a time-consuming mess than it was
worth. As far as refilling is concerned, you could save money refilling
toner cartridges as well.

My HP 2605dn is not as fast as the industrial printers, but at least as
fast as any color ink jet printer I've tried. I can tell it to print
multiple duplex copies of a document. It may take a while, but all I
have to do is feed paper. (The small 250 sheet paper tray is my main
complaint.)

Ivor - I didn't noticed the irregularity in the pages-remaining count,
but suspect it could be an estimate based on the coverage of the latest
document printed. Print a dense graphic and it may go down compared to
printing a sparse text page. At least that is the way my ink jet
printers work.

Pat - Where did you find yours for less than the cost of toner? I might
be interested in another one at that price!

Fred
Old August 20th 07, 07:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ivor Jones

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

[snip]

: : My HP 2605dn is not as fast as the industrial printers,
: : but at least as fast as any color ink jet printer I've
: : tried. I can tell it to print multiple duplex copies
: : of a document. It may take a while, but all I have to
: : do is feed paper. (The small 250 sheet paper tray is
: : my main complaint.)

That's a minor problem for me, my need is for printing on different paper
types, one for text and one for photos, so I invested in the extra
250-sheet tray.

: : Ivor - I didn't noticed the irregularity in the
: : pages-remaining count, but suspect it could be an
: : estimate based on the coverage of the latest document
: : printed. Print a dense graphic and it may go down
: : compared to printing a sparse text page. At least that
: : is the way my ink jet printers work.

Hmm, but mine sometimes goes *up* which I find odd. Which firmware version
do you have..?

Ivor

Old August 21st 07, 01:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

: : Ivor - I didn't noticed the irregularity in the
: : pages-remaining count, but suspect it could be an
: : estimate based on the coverage of the latest document
: : printed. Print a dense graphic and it may go down
: : compared to printing a sparse text page. At least that
: : is the way my ink jet printers work.

Hmm, but mine sometimes goes *up* which I find odd. Which firmware version
do you have..?

The estimated pages will go up if the recent (however many pages are used in
the calculation) pages have less coverage than the previously calculated
norm. The "pages out" gauge tries to calculate how many pages *of the type
you are typically printing* you have left. This will vary depending on the
density of what you have been printing recently.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old August 21st 07, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

[...]

Why the 2605DN ? is that only for duplex printing and network The RRP
off the HP site is A$599(2605) and A$799 (2605DN) is it worth the A$200
extra? No doubt when I start looking at the deals it will be cheaper.

I just looked at a shopbot site listing prices and one store had the
2605DN at A$885 LOL. another lowest at A$644.

I would like to print mainly in black and say web pages with the
occasional photo, one of my printers being an inkjet needs head cleaning
on a regular basis, so I thought that a laser would be ready to use no
dry ink etc. and be more reliable.

I have 3 computers networked plus each can access both inkjets. The cost
of running the R1800 is high as there have not been reliable aftermarket
pigment inks available here, so I have used the OEM. Another thing, its
not worth printing small 6x4 photos with the R1800 or any other inkjet
when you go downtown and have them printed at 15c each.

Old August 21st 07, 11:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

In message , Ivor Jones
writes

There is one small niggling problem though, the counter figures for the
pages remaining count seem to go up and down, they don't go down by the
number of pages printed. This is not a major problem as the graphs
indicate the approximate level, but it does seem odd. Maybe a firmware
bug, have you experienced this, Fred..?

Maybe it is trying to guesstimate the number of pages left based on your
usage, so if you print 100 pages just with a single full stop in 4
point, it would then increase the estimated number of pages left
(assuming that's how it does it).

--
Timothy

Old August 22nd 07, 05:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Pat

" wrote:

[...]

I bought mine at Staples. I had them match price with another store that
gave me another 10% off or so. I think I paid around $300 6 months ago.
Some people were getting even better prices by taking advantage of some
staple reward coupons. Very good price. Probably not available now.