AMD 64 3200:Gigabyte ga-k8nnp: WindowsXPSP1:Machine Check:Regs

Old January 13th 04, 02:45 AM
Richard R Rydberg

Default AMD 64 3200:Gigabyte ga-k8nnp: WindowsXPSP1:Machine Check:Regs

Have new AMD 64 3200 on Gigabyte ga-k8nnp mother board running latest
Windows XP service pack 1 and all recommended updates. Video is ATI 9700 Pro
with Sept 20003 drivers. System is stable except when downloading with IE.

After starting a download, the system crashes after between 5 sec and 5
minutes.[real crash -not crashtodesktop] It has to be restarted with the
power on switch.

The event viewer shows 3 or 4 pairs of these two events
event id 26, application popup Machine Check
event id 26, application popup Machine Check:Regs

Any ideas from you bright lads in AMDland? I have lodged this query with
Gigabyte - but no response yet. The MS knowledge base doesn't seem to
explain machine check.

Old January 15th 04, 02:58 AM
Sick Willie

"Richard R Rydberg" wrote in message
Have new AMD 64 3200 on Gigabyte ga-k8nnp mother board running latest
Windows XP service pack 1 and all recommended updates. Video is ATI 9700

Pro
with Sept 20003 drivers. System is stable except when downloading with IE.

After starting a download, the system crashes after between 5 sec and 5
minutes.[real crash -not crashtodesktop] It has to be restarted with the
power on switch.

The event viewer shows 3 or 4 pairs of these two events
event id 26, application popup Machine Check
event id 26, application popup Machine Check:Regs

Any ideas from you bright lads in AMDland? I have lodged this query with
Gigabyte - but no response yet. The MS knowledge base doesn't seem to
explain machine check.

As to the reason for your crashes, no. As to the event id 26s, these occur
every time you power your machine on, crash or not.

Sick Willie

Old January 31st 04, 04:48 PM
Jon Back

I would suspect your FSB and memory timings. When I first got my A64, I ran
the FSB up to 210, then 215, then 220. All seemed stable except in Internet
Explorer - BSOD with memory dump. At 215 FSB it doesn't happen. So, I'm
assuming that either my memory (basic Mushkin PC3200 with aftermarket copper
heat spreader) or IDE controllers can't take the speed. I don't have
AGP/PCI lock, so those bus speeds go up with the FSB.

Try "underclocking" if you can to see if it fixes the problem. Or manually
adjust your memory latencies to higher values. You should be able to isolate
the problem.

JonB