Which card is the best?

Old July 17th 08, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ÐïÅßö¥ø§©

Default Which card is the best?

I'm building a new system and am having a hard time deciding in between
the 8800 and 9800 series cards.

I was initially going with a 790i board and the 9800GX2. After reading
too many negative reviews about the 790i I've switched to the more
stable 780i. I don't know if the 780i supports the 9800GX2 so I started
browsing through the 8800 series cards. The 8800GTX looks nice but
actually costs more than the 9800GX2. Same with the 8800 Ultra. The
8800GTS is the cheapest but is it good enough? Too many choices!!!

Does anyone know if the 9800GX2 works on a 780i board? I couldn't find
anywhere that the 780i supports quad-sli technology. I did find that it
supports tri-sli though. So one 9800GX2 should work right? Just not
two of them. If it does I might shell out the extra money and get the
9800GX2 with a 780i board. My second choice right now is the cheaper
8800GTS.

Anyone here got any recommendations?
Old July 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"ÐïÅßö¥ø§©" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My first recommendation would be for you to state the intended purpose of
the build, the types of games or software you wish to run, and size of the
LCD you wish to drive. FWIW two 8800GTS G92 512Mb cards can be had for less
than $300 and will outperform a 9800GX2.

Old July 17th 08, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ÐïÅßö¥ø§©

Augustus wrote:
"ÐïÅßö¥ø§©" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you for the quick response. The 8800GTS you linked to is better
than the one I had bookmarked from EVGA. The one I had saved doesn't
use PCIe 2.0 but seems to be some OC'ed edition.

What do you think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...VGA-_-14130317

As for the uses I will be running the latest games and some graphics
programs. I just want them all to run smoothly. I do like EVGA's
lifetime warranty over MSI's 1 year but the lack of 2.0 support concerns
me. The MSI also doesn't mention it works with Vista? Whatcha think?
The size of my monitor right now is a standard 19" running on 1152x864.
Old July 17th 08, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_2_]

As for the uses I will be running the latest games and some graphics
programs. I just want them all to run smoothly. I do like EVGA's
lifetime warranty over MSI's 1 year but the lack of 2.0 support concerns
me. The MSI also doesn't mention it works with Vista? Whatcha think?
The size of my monitor right now is a standard 19" running on 1152x864.

Lack PCIe 2.0 support's a non issue. Zero performance or compatability
problems. Why are you running a 19" LCD at a non-native res? Or is this a
CRT? No matter, a 9800GX2 is massively overkill for gaming with a monitor of
this size. I'd simply get a single 8800GTS 512Mb for $150....there no game
around now or in the forseeable 12 months that won't run well on that card
on your monitor. If you're considering going up to 1600x1200 or beyond then
get two in SLI. Still way faster and cheaper than a 9800GX2. I run Crysis on
a single 8800GT 512Mb at 1280x1024 maxed out and there's nowhere in the
game it slows down. Nor does any other modern title. Spend your extra $$$ on
a higher end processor.

Old July 17th 08, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Impmon

[snip]

My first recommendation would be for you to state the intended purpose of
the build, the types of games or software you wish to run, and size of the
LCD you wish to drive. FWIW two 8800GTS G92 512Mb cards can be had for less
than $300 and will outperform a 9800GX2.

I'd second the 8800gts. make sure it's the newer g92 based (always
has 512MB or 1GB RAM, not the older g80 that has 320MB or 640MB)

It overclocks very easily and once you adjust the fan setting to run
about 70% or so rather than the stock 30%, the OC'ed video card I got
never went past 60C under load. Plus fan at 70% setting is still
fairly quiet. The stock cooler is more than good enough on 8800gts
that you can really push the card to its limit.

I got my 8800gts about a month ago for $200 plus shipping, and waiting
on the $50 rebate
Old July 17th 08, 07:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dirk Dreidoppel[_2_]

ÐïÅßö¥ø§© schrieb:
[...]

Right now I'd recommend the 9800GTX+
Faster than a regular GTX, becoming affordable, and you can always add a
second or third in the future. NV is under a lot of pressure from the
Radeon 4XXX cards, and the 4870X2 will make it worse, so prices will
further plummet. Actually I expect the GTX 260 to be quite affordable
soon. The 8800GTX and Ultra are power hungry monsters, and the 9800GTX+
will outperform them in most cases, due to higher clocks. Only in games
that require lots and lots of memory bandwidth will the 8800 still come
out on top. Can't beat the 384bit interface there.
Old July 17th 08, 01:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ÐïÅßö¥ø§©

Augustus wrote:
[...]

Yeah it's a monster CRT monitor. Great monitor though it just refuses
to die! I'm gonna upgrade to a 22"+ flat panel when I can but not right
now. Come to think of it I better make sure my monitors connections are
compatible with the 8800. Thx for the help man.
Old July 17th 08, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ÃïÅßö¥ø§©

Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3watch&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3watch-_-Video+Cards-_-
PNY+Technologies++Inc.-_-14133228

http://preview.tinyurl.com/64s822

Don't half step. You know it's what you really want.

Bill

I'd love a 200 series card but they're still out of my price range
unfortunately lol.
Old July 17th 08, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
houghi

ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
Yeah it's a monster CRT monitor. Great monitor though it just refuses
to die! I'm gonna upgrade to a 22"+ flat panel when I can but not right
now. Come to think of it I better make sure my monitors connections are
compatible with the 8800. Thx for the help man.

I used to have 2 20" 1600x1200 screens. When one went broke, I started
looking for a replacement. I saw that prices where so low for larger
screens that I bought 2 24" 1920x1200 screens. They have the same hight
as the 20" but are wider.

For screens I go as large as I can afford with a resolution as high as I
can afford. Desktop real-estate is something I can have never enough. I
payed just over 300EUR per screen for my Acer. And that is Belgium with
21% TVA.

Might be worth to think about when you upgrade your screen/computer.

houghi
--

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and