Sound Blaster Live LS

Old February 11th 05, 03:13 AM
Tim

Default Sound Blaster Live LS

Has anybody here tried the Soundblaster Live LS soundcard? I have the
7VAXP board and unhappy with the built-in sound system. Would the LS
card be any better?

2200+ AMD
384 MB memory
--
/s/ Timothy I. McCrory

"Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
William Cobbett

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
believe they are free."
Goethe

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
money that it values more, it will lose that too."
Somerset Maugham

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Old February 11th 05, 05:15 AM
IanO

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

I added a Video Logic 5.1 card to my 7VAXP, and that was fine. Not what you
asked I know, but similar. In what way do you want the card to be better
than the on-board?

Old February 11th 05, 03:50 PM
Tim

IanO wrote:

I added a Video Logic 5.1 card to my 7VAXP, and that was fine. Not what you
asked I know, but similar. In what way do you want the card to be better
than the on-board?

I would like a sound card that's not so dependent on the CPU. I have a
TV capture card and watch video clips. I lose little sound bites all
the time while watching video and even some times when listening to
music. I would like to try something different.

Old February 11th 05, 06:55 PM
IanO

"Tim" wrote in message
om...

IanO wrote:

[...]

Yeah, just curious. I added a card that had more acceleration (in theory)
and supported DTS sound, but I can't say that the on-board system performed
too badly on my 7VAXP. Sorry I know little of the Sound Blaster you
mention, but I do wonder if your clipped sound is due to a problem rather
than a limitation. It can happen if the sound driver is sharing an IRQ with
a disk controller, for example......

Old February 13th 05, 01:31 AM
SteveK

"Andy Lee" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:13:21 GMT, Tim
wrote:

Has anybody here tried the Soundblaster Live LS soundcard? I have the
7VAXP board and unhappy with the built-in sound system. Would the LS
card be any better?

2200+ AMD
384 MB memory

Hmm I've got a SB Audigy LS is that the card you are on about if so I
can confirm it sound better the the AC97 Realtek that was on my last
MSI Neo platingum 939 board which was crap however the onboard sound
on the Gigabyte 939 SLI board I'm using now seems fine and I have not
felt the need to install the SB in it. I've even boxed it up to flog
on E-Bay

Never use onboard sound since it's eating CPU time and drains resources -
always get a sound card to offload CPU

Old February 13th 05, 10:26 PM
SteveK

"Andy Lee" wrote in message

wrote:

Has anybody here tried the Soundblaster Live LS soundcard? I have the
7VAXP board and unhappy with the built-in sound system. Would the LS
card be any better?

2200+ AMD
384 MB memory

Hmm I've got a SB Audigy LS is that the card you are on about if so I
can confirm it sound better the the AC97 Realtek that was on my last
MSI Neo platingum 939 board which was crap however the onboard sound
on the Gigabyte 939 SLI board I'm using now seems fine and I have not
felt the need to install the SB in it. I've even boxed it up to flog
on E-Bay

Never use onboard sound since it's eating CPU time and drains resources -
always get a sound card to offload CPU

Which resources would it use that the SB wouldn't use. AC 97 uses a an
IO range a memory address and an IRQ just like a SB card. As for this
myth that they use more CPU time the early implemetations and poor
current ones can and do use more CPU cycles than the SB but a good
current AC 97 works just fine.

A dedicated sound card has it's own sound processor (cpu) that plays the
music - AC97 is 100% relying on the system's CPU to play a single tune.
Talking about Creative sound cards their drivers always have been a pain in
the a*se and a great source of trouble especially the drivers for their top
notch cards. I am off Creative since a few years now and no more nasty sound
problems.

Old February 14th 05, 04:22 PM
Ian

wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree, and still feel that Tim's problem with choppy sound
is more likely to be the result of unfotunate resourse allocation than
a hardware limitation.