Help with Drive Image restore

Old February 18th 04, 03:46 AM
Rock

Default Help with Drive Image restore

Hi,

I have a 2GB HD on a 98SE system and I have Drive Image 2002.

I created a default compressed image of that drive and then restored it
to a 40GB drive.

When I rebooted to the new C drive (40GB) whilst at bios and dos boot it
shows as 40GB, windows only sees the drive as the same size at it was
when it was the 2GB drive.

How can I have the rest of that partition (38GB) of the 40GB be
available in win?

Thanks

Rock

Old February 18th 04, 06:34 AM
*Vanguard*

"Rock" said in :
Hi,

I have a 2GB HD on a 98SE system and I have Drive Image 2002.

I created a default compressed image of that drive and then restored
it to a 40GB drive.

When I rebooted to the new C drive (40GB) whilst at bios and dos boot
it shows as 40GB, windows only sees the drive as the same size at it
was when it was the 2GB drive.

How can I have the rest of that partition (38GB) of the 40GB be
available in win?

Thanks

Rock

And your version of Drive Image is what?

It's been too long since I last had to restore an image (created with Drive
Image), but I recall that there was an option or prompt that asked you if
you wanted to resize the image after laying it down to encompass the entire
free space. Did you actually have any free space before restoring the image
(by deleting any existing partitions or resizing them smaller)?

I have Drive Image 2002. Although I've not used Drive Image to change a
partition size (except during the restore by telling it to usurp free disk
space), there is an option to "Redistribute free space" (I saw it in the
version of the program installed under Windows). That might do it.
Otherwise, I use their PartitionMagic to perform resizing, moving, and that
other fancy stuff.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 18th 04, 07:47 AM
Rock

Thanks.. It is 2002 I have and yes I went back and saw the resize option.

I deleted then reformated the new 40GB then restored using that resize
option so that the whole 38 odd GB was available in the partition.

For some reason I get to 100% restored but 94% finished and a panel
tells me ..

Error 2003 File Size does not match FAT allocation table

then another..

Error 983

Too many errors found - process halted.

So it unravels what it has done and leaves me with an emptytarget disc
again.

Gotta lot of looking to do I guess to get to the bottom of it all.

Thanks

Rock

Old February 18th 04, 12:25 PM
Dan

Before making the image of the original drive I find it helps to check it
with Norton Utilities Disk Doctor and WinDoctor, as there may be errors on
the original drive, unknown to you. Errors in MBR or FAT allocation table.
Norton Utilities will usually fix these, --- or at least run Windows
"scandisk" on your original drive. I assume you are on FAT32 and not NTFS.

When making the image let Drive Image check for bad sectors and verify disk
writes - takes long time to create image, but safer. Drive Image has extra
options as you have discovered.

Dan

Old February 18th 04, 05:49 PM
*Vanguard*

*Vanguard* wrote:
"Rock" said in :

[...]

Don't format the 40GB hard drive. Delete all partitions. Then restore the
2GB image and let Drive Image resize it into the other 38GB of unallocated
disk space. But do what Dan recommends by booting up using the 2GB drive
and check its file system is uncorrupted. Besides just checking the file
system, include a surface scan to ensure all of the used space on the 2GB
disk is reliably readable. You shouldn't have to surface scan the unused or
free space since Drive Image will only record the used sectors (although, I
believe, there is an option to also copy unused sectors but you should use
that option).

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***