Is my new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD affected?

Old January 18th 09, 11:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default Is my new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD affected?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:50:53 -0800, Ant put finger
to keyboard and composed:

I used Hard Drive Inspector program, in updated Windows XP Pro. SP3, to
get details about my two Seagate HDDs ...

I notice that the current temperature is actually stored in the lower
order bits of the raw value. The high order bits must be used for some
other purpose. This would account for the apparently absurd figures. I
suspect that the raw seek error rate value may be similarly affected.

Hard disk drive # 1

190 Temperatu 64 45 622,329,892

622,329,892 = 0x25180024 --- 0x25 = 0x24 + 1 ???
--- 0x18 = initial temp (24degC) ???

194 Temperatu 36 0 81,604,378,660

81,604,378,660 = 0x1300000024

0x24 = 36 decimal (deg C)

Hard disk drive # 2

7 Seek Error Rate 60 30 8,592,185,153

8,592,185,153 = 0x200225741 --- seek error rate = 0x225741

190 Temperatu 70 45 521,469,982

521,469,982 = 0x1F15001E --- 0x1F = 0x1E + 1 ???
--- 0x15 = initial temp (21degC) ???

194 Temperatu 30 0 81,604,378,654

81,604,378,654 = 0x130000001E

0x1E = 30 decimal (deg C)

- Franc Zabkar
Old January 19th 09, 05:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

FYI. Seagate released the firmwares:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207951
from
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...essage.id=5186

I am scared to try it. Hehe, but then I have the model and old firmware
listed. DAH!

On 1/17/2009 2:50 PM PT, Ant typed:

Hello!

I recently bought a new 500 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
ST3500320AS before Christmas 2008 and started using it on the 27th (work
time: 17 days). I am worried if I need to upgrade its firmware or return
the drive after reading about high failure rates online. However, those
were 1 TB and not the smaller sizes. I was wondering if my model was
affected.

I used Hard Drive Inspector program, in updated Windows XP Pro. SP3, to
get details about my two Seagate HDDs (don't think the older 320 GB
model is affected, but you never know):

Hard disk drive # 1

General info
Interface : SATA - fixed
Manufacturer : SEAGATE
Model : 320620AS
Serial number : QF0XE9M
Firmware : 3.AAE
Logical geometry info
Cylinders : 16383
Heads : 16
Sectors per track : 63
Physical geometry info
Cylinders : 38913
Tracks per cylinder : 255
Sectors per track : 63
Bytes per sector : 512
Capacity available in LBA Mode : 625,142,448 sectors
(305,245 MB)
Buffer size : 16384 KB
Logical drives : C:\; E:\; F:\;
Total free space : 273,656 MB

Device features
Max block size in R/W operations : 16 sectors
IORDY support : supported
Serial ATA capabilities
SATA Specification Compliance : Yes
SATA Gen-1 signaling speed (1.5Gbps) : supported
SATA Gen-2 signaling speed : not supported
SATA Native Command Queuing : supported
Serial ATA features
Receipt of host-initiated interface power management request
: not supported
Device initiating interface power management :
supported
DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization : not
supported
Non-zero buffer offsets in DMA Setup FIS : not
supported
Transfer Modes
Supported PIO modes : 0 - 4
Supported Multiword DMA modes : 0 - 2
Supported Ultra DMA modes : 0 - 6
Interface version : ATA/ATA-7
Current transfer mode : SATA 1 (150 MB/s)
Power-on time : 11,472 hours (478 days)?
Min transfer time in Multiword DMA mode : 120 ns
Recommended tr. time in MW DMA mode : 120 ns
Min tr. time in PIO mode without IORDY : 120 ns
Min tr. time in PIO mode with IORDY : 120 ns
Drive features
Temperature sensor detected
Security command set support : supported
Power management support : supported
Write cache support : supported
Read look ahead support : supported
Host protected area support : supported
Microcode downloading support : supported
Enhanced power management support : not supported
Automatic acoustic management support : not supported
Security features
Security mode support : supported
Security mode usage : No
Security locking support : not supported
Security freezing support : supported
Security counter support : not supported
Enchanced security erase mode support : not supported
Security level : high

Device S.M.A.R.T. status
SMART interface : SCSI-miniport; Physical Drive
Monitoring started at : 6/22/2007 8:41 AM
Last checked at : 1/17/2009 2:45 PM
Death time : not defined
# Attribute Value Thresh Raw
T.E.C. date Flags

1 Raw Read Error Rate 119 6
224,573,904 - LC OC PR ER
3 Spin Up Time 95 0 0
- LC OC
4 Start/Stop Count 100 20 519
- OC EC SP
5 Reallocated Sector Count 100 36 0
- LC OC EC SP
7 Seek Error Rate 82 30
171,148,196 - LC OC PR ER
9 Power-On Hours 87 0 11,472
- OC EC SP
10 Spin Retry Count 100 97 0
- LC OC EC
12 Device Power Cycle Count 100 20 567
- OC EC SP
187 (Unknown Attribute)_187 100 0 0
- OC EC SP
189 (Unknown Attribute)_189 100 0 0
- OC ER EC SP
190 Temperatu 64 45 622,329,892
- OC SP
194 Temperatu 36 0 81,604,378,660
- OC SP
195 Hardware ECC Covered 70 0 128,291,465
- OC ER EC
197 Current Pending Sector Count 100 0 0
- OC EC
198 Offline Scan Uncorrectable Count 100 0 0
- EC
199 UltraDMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 0
- OC PR ER EC SP
200 Write Error Rate 100 0 0
-
202 Data Address Mark Errors 100 0 0
- OC EC SP

LC-life critical OC-online collection PR-performance related
ER-error rate EC-event count SP-self preserving

Hard disk drive # 2

General info
Interface : SATA - fixed
Manufacturer : SEAGATE
Model : 500320AS
Serial number : QM8QPS1
Firmware : SD15
Logical geometry info
Cylinders : 16383
Heads : 16
Sectors per track : 63
Physical geometry info
Cylinders : 60801
Tracks per cylinder : 255
Sectors per track : 63
Bytes per sector : 512
Capacity available in LBA Mode : 976,773,168 sectors
(476,940 MB)
Buffer size : 0 KB
Logical drives : D:\; G:\; H:\; I:\;
Total free space : 264,546 MB

Device features
Max block size in R/W operations : 16 sectors
IORDY support : supported
Serial ATA capabilities
SATA Specification Compliance : Yes
SATA Gen-1 signaling speed (1.5Gbps) : supported
SATA Gen-2 signaling speed : not supported
SATA Native Command Queuing : supported
Serial ATA features
Receipt of host-initiated interface power management request
: not supported
Device initiating interface power management : not
supported
DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization : not
supported
Non-zero buffer offsets in DMA Setup FIS : not
supported
Transfer Modes
Supported PIO modes : 0 - 4
Supported Multiword DMA modes : 0 - 2
Supported Ultra DMA modes : 0 - 6
Interface version : ATA/ATA-8
Current transfer mode : SATA 1 (150 MB/s)
Power-on time : 408 hours (17 days)?
Min transfer time in Multiword DMA mode : 120 ns
Recommended tr. time in MW DMA mode : 120 ns
Min tr. time in PIO mode without IORDY : 120 ns
Min tr. time in PIO mode with IORDY : 120 ns
Drive features
Temperature sensor detected
Security command set support : supported
Power management support : supported
Write cache support : supported
Read look ahead support : supported
Host protected area support : supported
Microcode downloading support : supported
Enhanced power management support : not supported
Automatic acoustic management support : not supported
Security features
Security erase time : 104 min
Security mode support : supported
Security mode usage : No
Security locking support : not supported
Security freezing support : supported
Security counter support : not supported
Enchanced security erase mode support : supported
Security level : high

Device S.M.A.R.T. status
SMART interface : SCSI-miniport; Physical Drive
Monitoring started at : 1/17/2009 2:45 PM
Last checked at : 1/17/2009 2:45 PM
Death time : not defined
# Attribute Value Thresh Raw
T.E.C. date Flags

1 Raw Read Error Rate 114 6
230,848,784 - LC OC PR ER
3 Spin Up Time 94 0 0
- LC OC
4 Start/Stop Count 100 20 22
- OC EC SP
5 Reallocated Sector Count 100 36 0
- LC OC EC SP
7 Seek Error Rate 60 30
8,592,185,153 - LC OC PR ER
9 Power-On Hours 100 0 408
- OC EC SP
10 Spin Retry Count 100 97 0
- LC OC EC
12 Device Power Cycle Count 100 20 22
- OC EC SP
184 (Unknown Attribute)_184 100 99 0
- OC EC SP
187 (Unknown Attribute)_187 100 0 0
- OC EC SP
188 (Unknown Attribute)_188 100 0 0
- OC EC SP
189 (Unknown Attribute)_189 100 0 0
- OC ER EC SP
190 Temperatu 70 45 521,469,982
- OC SP
194 Temperatu 30 0 81,604,378,654
- OC SP
195 Hardware ECC Covered 41 0 230,848,784
- OC ER EC
197 Current Pending Sector Count 100 0 0
- OC EC
198 Offline Scan Uncorrectable Count 100 0 0
- EC
199 UltraDMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 0
- OC PR ER EC SP

LC-life critical OC-online collection PR-performance related
ER-error rate EC-event count SP-self preserving

Did Seagate say which models were affected (couldn't find details) and
do I need to upgrade (firmware)/replace it? I'd rather not run into this
"brick" failure before it occurs.

Thank you in advance.

--
"The great companies did not know that the line between hunger and anger
is a thin line. And money that might have gone to wages went for gas,
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old January 19th 09, 07:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Damnit!

OK, I took a chance after doing data backups (not the drives) and it FAILED!

I think the firmware upgrader crashed too. I got (don't have a digital
camera to get everything):

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV

Page fault at eip=0000 6683 error=0004
..
.. bunch of memory addresses
..
Error: Specific model not found. ST35000320AS expected

Cycle power to continue...

So, I turned PC off and turned on. HDD is still there (whew), but still
at SD15. What the heck?! How do I upgrade if it is crashing(?).

On 1/18/2009 9:03 PM PT, Ant typed:

FYI. Seagate released the firmwares:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207951
from
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...essage.id=5186

I am scared to try it. Hehe, but then I have the model and old firmware
listed. DAH!

On 1/17/2009 2:50 PM PT, Ant typed:

Hello!

I recently bought a new 500 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
ST3500320AS before Christmas 2008 and started using it on the 27th
(work time: 17 days). I am worried if I need to upgrade its firmware
or return the drive after reading about high failure rates online.
However, those were 1 TB and not the smaller sizes. I was wondering if
my model was affected.

I used Hard Drive Inspector program, in updated Windows XP Pro. SP3,
to get details about my two Seagate HDDs (don't think the older 320 GB
[...]

190 Temperatu 64 45
622,329,892 - OC SP
194 Temperatu 36 0
81,604,378,660 - OC SP
[...]

190 Temperatu 70 45
521,469,982 - OC SP
194 Temperatu 30 0
81,604,378,654 - OC SP
195 Hardware ECC Covered 41 0
230,848,784 - OC ER EC
197 Current Pending Sector Count 100 0
0 - OC EC
198 Offline Scan Uncorrectable Count 100 0
0 - EC
199 UltraDMA CRC Error Rate 200 0
0 - OC PR ER EC SP

LC-life critical OC-online collection PR-performance related
ER-error rate EC-event count SP-self preserving

Did Seagate say which models were affected (couldn't find details) and
do I need to upgrade (firmware)/replace it? I'd rather not run into
this "brick" failure before it occurs.

Thank you in advance.

--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts

Old January 19th 09, 07:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Is it true that I only can have one HDD connected to upgrade firmware? I
have two SATA Seagate HDDs (other one is a 320 GB) hooked up. Is that
why the upgrader is crashing?

On 1/18/2009 11:16 PM PT, Ant typed:

Damnit!

OK, I took a chance after doing data backups (not the drives) and it
FAILED!

I think the firmware upgrader crashed too. I got (don't have a digital
camera to get everything):

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV

Page fault at eip=0000 6683 error=0004
.
. bunch of memory addresses
.
[...]

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal
consideration." --Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society of
the United States, The Inhumane Society, New York, 1990.
/\___/\

Old January 19th 09, 01:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Ant wrote:
Is it true that I only can have one HDD connected to upgrade firmware? I
have two SATA Seagate HDDs (other one is a 320 GB) hooked up. Is that
why the upgrader is crashing?

It is possible that they did that as a safety measure. I do the same
thing when wiping drives, i.e. disconnect everything but the drive
and boot from USB-stick/CDROM. It is also possible that they wanted
to avoid presenting people with a choice on which HDD to patch.

If so, it was paranoid or incompetent, because they can query the
firmware version before patching. But bad user interfaces are
prevalent. This seems to be just one more example.

At least it did not kill the drive...

Arno
Old January 19th 09, 04:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 1/19/2009 5:54 AM PT, Arno Wagner typed:

Previously Ant wrote:
Is it true that I only can have one HDD connected to upgrade firmware? I
have two SATA Seagate HDDs (other one is a 320 GB) hooked up. Is that
why the upgrader is crashing?

It is possible that they did that as a safety measure. I do the same
thing when wiping drives, i.e. disconnect everything but the drive
and boot from USB-stick/CDROM. It is also possible that they wanted
to avoid presenting people with a choice on which HDD to patch.

If so, it was paranoid or incompetent, because they can query the
firmware version before patching. But bad user interfaces are
prevalent. This seems to be just one more example.

At least it did not kill the drive...

Yeah, it seems like MANY people can't patch (same symptoms and even on
one HDD!). Good job, Seagate.
--
"When the ants unite their mouths, they can carry an elephant."
--Mossian Proverb

Old January 19th 09, 07:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:32:54 -0800, Ant put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Is it true that I only can have one HDD connected to upgrade firmware? I
have two SATA Seagate HDDs (other one is a 320 GB) hooked up. Is that
why the upgrader is crashing?

The readme.txt file states ...

"Disconnect all PATA or SATA devices from the system, except the
device needing the firmware update."

I don't know if this is strictly necessary, or whether it is only a
safety measure.

- Franc Zabkar
Old January 19th 09, 07:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:16:56 -0800, Ant put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Damnit!

OK, I took a chance after doing data backups (not the drives) and it FAILED!

I think the firmware upgrader crashed too. I got (don't have a digital
camera to get everything):

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV

Page fault at eip=0000 6683 error=0004
.
. bunch of memory addresses
.
Error: Specific model not found. ST35000320AS expected

Shouldn't that be ST3500320AS? (one too many zeroes)

What do you see if you choose the following option in the menu?

S) Scan ATA devices

BTW, Hard Drive Inspector reports the model number as "500320AS". Is
this what the drive reports, or does HDI drop the "ST3" prefix? Does
the BIOS POST see the ST3 prefix?

If the drive is actually identifying itself as "500320AS" rather than
"ST3500320AS", then you could edit the "set model" line in the
flash.bat file accordingly. I'd be *very* wary of doing this, though.

:SEAFLASH4
set model=ST3500320AS -- change to set model=500320AS
%exe% -m %family% -f %firmware% -i %model% %options%
if errorlevel 2 goto WRONGMODEL
if errorlevel 1 goto ERROR
goto DONE

Old January 19th 09, 10:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:14:56 -0800, Ant put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Previously Ant wrote:
Is it true that I only can have one HDD connected to upgrade firmware? I
have two SATA Seagate HDDs (other one is a 320 GB) hooked up. Is that
why the upgrader is crashing?

It is possible that they did that as a safety measure. I do the same
thing when wiping drives, i.e. disconnect everything but the drive
and boot from USB-stick/CDROM. It is also possible that they wanted
to avoid presenting people with a choice on which HDD to patch.

If so, it was paranoid or incompetent, because they can query the
firmware version before patching. But bad user interfaces are
prevalent. This seems to be just one more example.

At least it did not kill the drive...

Yeah, it seems like MANY people can't patch (same symptoms and even on
one HDD!). Good job, Seagate.

This forum message shows some screen shots of the problem:
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...essage.id=5302

Do you get the same SIGSEGV error if you deliberately select the wrong
model? If not, then this would suggest that the flash upgrade utility
(fdl462a.exe) is bombing out *after* correctly identifying the drive,
and that its DOS ERRORLEVEL of 2 is being misinterpreted by flash.bat.

Flash.bat assumes that fdl462a.exe returns only two error levels (see
below), and it assumes that an error level of 2 always reflects "wrong
model". Instead it could be that the flash loader is actually
returning an error level of 3, for example. In DOS (or FREEDOS) a test
for ERRORLEVEL=2 when it is actually 2 or greater will return a TRUE
result.

if errorlevel 2 goto WRONGMODEL
if errorlevel 1 goto ERROR

Try reducing your system memory to only one stick of RAM. Maybe
FREEDOS is having trouble working with large amounts of memory. ???

- Franc Zabkar
Old January 20th 09, 10:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

On 1/19/2009 2:05 PM PT, Franc Zabkar typed:

Previously Ant wrote:
[...]

Nope, it's a bad job from Seagate. Their newer releases now brick 500 GB
HDDs (did not try the upgrade). Seagate pulled it off the Web site.
--
"For while the giants have just been talking about an information
superhighway, the ants have actually been building one: the Internet."