McAfee

Old October 19th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joan Hansen

Default McAfee

I'm working my nephew's Dimension 8400. I tried to uninstall the above
but it tells me it can't open an uninstall or install log. I'm doing
this from the control panel ad/remove programs.

I went to McAfee site and I could not find program to remove their darn
program. I believe someone before said they did have a removal program.

Thanks for any help.

Joan

Old October 19th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joan Hansen

I think I found the removal tool. I just can't believe that McAfee is
actually worse then Norton. I use Norton. I was able to remove some 100
virus', worms, etc with the free virus scanner Avast. I couldn't use
the other one AVG because it wouldn't work thier version of Roxio.

Joan

Old October 19th 07, 02:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:54 -0400, Joan Hansen wrote:

I'm working my nephew's Dimension 8400. I tried to uninstall the above
but it tells me it can't open an uninstall or install log. I'm doing
this from the control panel ad/remove programs.

I went to McAfee site and I could not find program to remove their darn
program. I believe someone before said they did have a removal program.

Thanks for any help.

Joan

Don't put much weight on this -- there is a MS utility that fixes
uninstalls. It's all very hazy but I had to use it on a few
occasions. If you don't get a better reply that fixes your problem I
will try to remember and find a link to it. It may not even be
relevant to your problem which is why I'm not trying to find the link
right now.
Old October 19th 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:53:54 -0400, Joan Hansen wrote:

I think I found the removal tool. I just can't believe that McAfee is
actually worse then Norton. I use Norton. I was able to remove some 100
virus', worms, etc with the free virus scanner Avast. I couldn't use
the other one AVG because it wouldn't work thier version of Roxio.

Joan

I found Avast to be good. I used to use AVG on one computer and Avast
on another just to compare them and to know how each works.

I use Roxio (the whole suite) on my laptop with AVG without any
problems. I always disble DLA (drag to disk) though because often
there are problems with it.

I'm glad you found your removal tool.
Old October 19th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

On Oct 19, 6:35 am, Joan Hansen wrote:
I'm working my nephew's Dimension 8400. I tried to uninstall the above
but it tells me it can't open an uninstall or install log. I'm doing
this from the control panel ad/remove programs.

I went to McAfee site and I could not find program to remove their darn
program. I believe someone before said they did have a removal program.

Thanks for any help.

Joan

You don't specify which McAfee program you are using. I'll assume
it's controlled by McAfee's Security Center.

The Security Center contains their suite of malware products, such as
the antivirus, antispam, and antiphishing programs, all of which
appear in the add/remove control panel. You must uninstall the
individual programs before uninstalling the Security Center. If you
uninstall the Security Center first, you'll get the message you
describe.

It's not too late, though. You can reinstall the Security Center
(actually the entire suite from the McAfee site), and then try again
by uninstalling the individual programs first. I've had to do this a
few times; it works.

Old October 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:54:22 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:54 -0400, Joan Hansen wrote:

I'm working my nephew's Dimension 8400. I tried to uninstall the above
but it tells me it can't open an uninstall or install log. I'm doing
this from the control panel ad/remove programs.

I went to McAfee site and I could not find program to remove their darn
program. I believe someone before said they did have a removal program.

Thanks for any help.

Joan

Don't put much weight on this -- there is a MS utility that fixes
uninstalls. It's all very hazy but I had to use it on a few
occasions. If you don't get a better reply that fixes your problem I
will try to remember and find a link to it. It may not even be
relevant to your problem which is why I'm not trying to find the link
right now.

I think I have the solution but it's not free ($40). I use this
program for uninstalls and so far so good (approx 1 year) ..."Your
Uninstaller! 2006 Pro" aka ursoftware.com . I like it because it
goes into the registry also to uninstall. I believe it works for
Vista as well but I have no experience using it with Vista.
disclaimer: just a customer with no financial interest ...shucks
Old October 19th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I'm working my nephew's Dimension 8400. I tried to uninstall the above
but it tells me it can't open an uninstall or install log. I'm doing
this from the control panel ad/remove programs.

PC Decrapifier ?

http://pcdecrapifier.com
Old October 20th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Journey wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:53:54 -0400, Joan Hansen wrote:

I think I found the removal tool. I just can't believe that McAfee is
actually worse then Norton. I use Norton. I was able to remove some 100
virus', worms, etc with the free virus scanner Avast. I couldn't use
the other one AVG because it wouldn't work thier version of Roxio.

Joan

I found Avast to be good. I used to use AVG on one computer and Avast
on another just to compare them and to know how each works.

I use Roxio (the whole suite) on my laptop with AVG without any
problems. I always disble DLA (drag to disk) though because often
there are problems with it.

I'm glad you found your removal tool.

I recently bought Roxio's Easy Media Creator 9 and it's giving me fits,
i.g., after it seems to install okay whenever I click on a folder with
JPGs or certain Creator functions, a Windows install routine kicks off
saying it wants to install Sonic's Cineplayer's Decoder Pack, but it
can't find the install file (in the Temp folder part of my userID):

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11706
Date: 10/19/2007
Time: 04:34:58
User: B9Z9999\Dellbot
Computer: B9Z9999

Product: Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack -- Error 1706. An installation
package for the product Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack cannot be found.
Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation
package 'CPDECPACK.msi'.

Data:
0000: 7b 38 44 33 33 37 46 37 {8D337F7
0008: 37 2d 42 45 37 46 2d 34 7-BE7F-4
0010: 31 41 32 2d 41 37 43 42 1A2-A7CB
0018: 2d 44 35 41 36 33 46 44 -D5A63FD
0020: 37 30 34 39 42 7d 7049B}

It was so frustrating I uninstalled Creator 9.
Old October 20th 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joan Hansen

Thanks Journey, I Googled it and found the removal program. Worked
great but I haven't check the registry to see if it removed I swear the
hundreds of items in the registry. Here is the site I got the removal
from.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Con...ool_d5420.html

I think I will try the AVG because the Avast is actually not free. It
is good for 58 days or so. If AVG effects Roxio, then I guess I'll just
get him Norton System Works. Its probably the easiest for him.

Joan

Old October 20th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joan Hansen

Thanks, but I did get the program to remove it. They had no disks for
it. Probably one of those 90 day programs from Dell. I have he same
problem with another program that is missing something and won't
uninstall. Its really not my Nephew that messes up anything, its his
daughters that do. They are going to mad at Great Aunt Joan when they
see I wiped off all their bad sites. And tell their father that
possible they have been downloading illegal songs from the internet.

Joan

Boris wrote:

[...]

McAfee downloads species8350 Dell Computers 1 April 22nd 07 01:54 PM
McAfee Jim[_3_] Dell Computers 1 March 25th 07 02:47 PM
McAfee Dutchman Dell Computers 6 March 20th 07 01:52 PM
For All You McAfee Users Nicholas Andrade Dell Computers 2 March 14th 06 02:21 AM
McAfee updates Bal Dell Computers 5 September 24th 05 06:20 PM