New Inspiron E1505 with D:\ "backup" partition question.

Old September 21st 06, 02:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default New Inspiron E1505 with D:\ "backup" partition question.

All,

I've a new Inspiron E1505 (Windows MCE from the home division, apparently)
with a 60gb hard disk that's partitioned into a C:\ drive of 37.25gb and
the D:\ partition ( "backup") is roughly 12.5gb. ( I also see the expected
utility partition and the hidden restore partition as well.)

Am I to assume that this "feature" (the D:\ "backup") was created due to the
system having the 90-trial of Ghost 10 requested/factory installed?

Has anyone used PM 8 to remove the D:\ partition w/o hosing the hidden
restore image? Don't want it and don't really need it.....

Thanks -

Stew

Old September 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
All,

I've a new Inspiron E1505 (Windows MCE from the home division, apparently)
with a 60gb hard disk that's partitioned into a C:\ drive of 37.25gb and
the D:\ partition ( "backup") is roughly 12.5gb. ( I also see the expected
utility partition and the hidden restore partition as well.)

Am I to assume that this "feature" (the D:\ "backup") was created due to
the system having the 90-trial of Ghost 10 requested/factory installed?

Has anyone used PM 8 to remove the D:\ partition w/o hosing the hidden
restore image? Don't want it and don't really need it.....

Thanks -

Stew

I can say that the "D" drive is associated with the Norton Ghost because we
just got an E1505 2 days ago and I saw it create "D" partition and backing
up with Norton Ghost.

Is this a different back-up than the restore point with windows, I assume it
is.?

Melissa is a bit upset with the wide screen and how it is not utilized with
web pages like her old I8000 and the aspect ratio 4:3....

fathergoose

Old September 21st 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Fathergoose" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, then. It is different. It appears to be a somewhat leveraged attempt to
get the user to purchase Ghost 10 from a 90-day trial. Perhaps Dell gets a
premium for every trial user who ultimately purchases G10.

Old September 21st 06, 04:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

the d: partition is a different partition than the restore partition.
uninstall ghost and use that partition as you wish.
i also retweak the entire main partition, and erase the dell restore
partition and make my own image backup instead.

Old September 21st 06, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Fathergoose" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey Stew,
I was reading on the notebookreview.com that someone has developed a list of
things to remove to get the bloat ware down to minimum.
I will post it if you would like a look/see.
Today we and last night we spent several hours getting her laptop ready to
go.....Firefox and transferring favs & email addresses etc.
I kind of wish that we had caught and stopped the Norton ghost backing up
because of the trial thing ....I thought it was 1-2 year subscription.
Now it has created "D" and all the registry mark ups etc. that will be hard
to ever get rid of until format at later date no doubt...hem.

fathergoose

Old September 21st 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

what are you talking about?
its not hard to get rid of ghost, and the d partition,
and add that space to the c partition.
takes a few minutes.

Old September 21st 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Martin Walker

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
All,

I've a new Inspiron E1505 (Windows MCE from the home division, apparently)
with a 60gb hard disk that's partitioned into a C:\ drive of 37.25gb and
the D:\ partition ( "backup") is roughly 12.5gb. ( I also see the expected
utility partition and the hidden restore partition as well.)

Am I to assume that this "feature" (the D:\ "backup") was created due to
the system having the 90-trial of Ghost 10 requested/factory installed?

Has anyone used PM 8 to remove the D:\ partition w/o hosing the hidden
restore image? Don't want it and don't really need it.....

Thanks -

Stew

I purchased an Inspiron B130 a few weeks ago and it was set up the same. I
got rid of Ghost then used an option available when booting up with Ctrl-F11
to get rid of the "D" partition and append its disk space to the "C"
partition. No data is lost in C, but anything in D will be gone. This does
not delete the Symantec restore partition. It's still available when booting
with Ctrl-F11. The utility partition is still there too.

Martin

Old September 21st 06, 01:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Martin Walker" wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Martin -

Thanks very much. That's exactly what I was looking for and the option was
there exactly as you described it. All I wanted to do was to remove the D:\
partition and recover the space for C:\.

I'd not seen this recovery version under CTL+F11 before, so I learned
something.

Thanks again.

Stew

Old September 21st 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Fathergoose" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Fathergoose" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

\

FG -

Read Martin's post below in this thread about recovering the space in the
D:\ partition. Worked like a charm.

I'd already removed Ghost and the other bloatware.

Stew

Old September 21st 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"Martin Walker" wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

in addition to what martin said... when ghost is uninstalled and the system
is rebooted and you are asked about what to do with the ghost 'd' partition.
if you failed to select to add the space to the 'c' drive with the prompts
presented by the ghost removal program you can still append that space to
the 'c' partition using partition magic 8... as stew asked about in the
first place.