Help - Looking to defrag folders under XP

Old January 27th 09, 10:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
BD

Default Help - Looking to defrag folders under XP

On Jan 27, 7:25*am, (GMAN) wrote:
In article , BD wrote:

Hi, all.

I have 2 different external USB hard disks, one 3.5" under NTFS, and
one 2.5" under FAT32. I'm running XP SP2.

I really want to be able to occasionally defrag the folders on these
disks, to get them all on the same place on the disk.

I read a thread in an experts-exchange forum about XP not allowing
that kind of access under any circumstances, but Win9x allowing that
kind of direct access to the disk.

I do have a boot floppy running a Win98 command shell, and direct
support for USB hard disks on my mainboard. So I *can* access the disk
at the command shell level.

I just need to track down a tool which will do folder defrags at the
command prompt.

As to NTFS access, I believe I should be able to find some kind of
boot disk driver which would allow a 9x boot floppy to access NTFS Not
sure about that, though.

I'm really just looking to defrag folders from a 9x command shell.
That's step 1.

Any pointers greatly appreciated - this is something I've been looking
to work out for awhile, and would prefer to not have to install a full
9x OS to make it work...

Thanks!

BD

Look into this program. I believe there is a demo version of it here. It has a
defrag all files in a specific folder option.

Ultimate Defrag 2008

Info herehttp://www.disktrix.com/UDIntroduction.htm

Download trial version herehttp://www.disktrix.com/UDTrials.htm- Hide quoted text -

That looks promising. Claims to consolidate folders right by the MFT.
Not clear whether that requires boot-time operation or whether it
could be done while the OS is fully up. But I'll find out soon enough!

Thanks for that!
Old January 28th 09, 12:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Here, this can defrag whatever you list to it:

http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old January 28th 09, 07:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
BD

I briefly had a look at some of the front-ends for that tool. But
before I could get a close enough look at it, I tried the tool that
GMAN was mentioning.

Seems to work like a charm!!

I may still look at the JK tool, but for now, I've done the business
on that USB disk of mine, and I'm happy.

Thanks, all!