Volcano 7 and Barton

Old September 25th 03, 01:42 AM
neopolaris

Default Volcano 7 and Barton

Is the Volcano 7 alright for using with an overclocked XP2500+ Barton? I'm
using the Thermaltake ducting mod too if that helps. TIA

neopolaris

Old September 25th 03, 08:01 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:42:49 -0400, "neopolaris" . wrote:

Is the Volcano 7 alright for using with an overclocked XP2500+ Barton? I'm
using the Thermaltake ducting mod too if that helps. TIA

neopolaris

Most likely - the Bartons run cooler than the older models that the 7
was made for. I have a 7 on an original 1.4 and it runs quite hot,
got a 9 on a Barton 2500 and it runs about 10-15°C cooler (and the
2500 is clocked from 1.8odd to 2.002 - I got cold feet about going
higher just air cooled

The ducting mod should make things better also. If you could suck air
in from outside the case thru that, it'll probably be cooler than mine
(swine

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com
Old September 25th 03, 11:01 AM
Morgan

Can I ask a really cool question......

What is ' The ducting mod '

Me waits eagerly with a mighty screwdriver, hammer and my Volcano in hand

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 12:36 PM
Steve

In message , neopolaris
writes
Is the Volcano 7 alright for using with an overclocked XP2500+ Barton? I'm
using the Thermaltake ducting mod too if that helps. TIA

neopolaris

I was running with one (on a 2500+) until Monday, I stuck a cheap and
nasty hsf (q tec 80mm fan) on and it runs 8 degs cooler than the V7
could manage at mid speed (4500) and the new one only runs at 2700.
The Qtec is also MUCH quieter than the V7 ever was, and it was only a
fiver from the local computer fair.
The 2500+ now runs at idle 33 and under load at 41/42. That's at stock,
with the mb set to 3200+ it idles at 38 and under load 48 to 50. When I
tried the V7 with the cpu at 3200+ the under load temp got to 61 and was
still rising and then I turned it off (and than with the V7 going flat
out at 5000rpm).
I'm not saying I going to keep the Qtec, but it's far and away better
than the V7 ever was.
--
Steve
Old September 25th 03, 12:40 PM
Gary Sinnott

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:01:52 +0100, "Morgan" wrote:

Can I ask a really cool question......

What is ' The ducting mod '

Me waits eagerly with a mighty screwdriver, hammer and my Volcano in hand

Take a look here - it's available from various outlets but it's kinda
pot luck as to who...

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...ductingMod.htm

Old September 25th 03, 12:46 PM
Morgan

Do you happen to have a link for any info on the particular Q-tec fan that
you have Steve..?

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 12:47 PM
Morgan

How bizarre....

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 01:05 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Morgan" wrote in message
How bizarre....

--
Regards

Morgan

That's one good reason why the Vantec Aeroflow and other HSF's using TMD
fans cool better with less noise than these older, bigger HSF's.

Old September 25th 03, 01:21 PM
Morgan

mmm thank you for that it has given me some thought. As everyone else
possibly would like I want good cooling without the noise and not costing a
great deal of money to achieve it either

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 25th 03, 01:34 PM
Steve

In message , Morgan
writes
Do you happen to have a link for any info on the particular Q-tec fan that
you have Steve..?

This is the one I've got...
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13724

and the whole range is here...

http://www.qtec.info/products/pgroup.htm?mpg=COOLERS

I'd be interested to see how the overclockers and overclockers enhanced
work considering how well the basic model runs.

I'd seen the basic one on lots of stands at computer fairs and always
assumed that they'd be rubbish (I mean, a fiver !!!! it can't be any
good, can it ?). I only got it as a backup in case the V7 failed.
--
Steve