false SMART indication.

Old April 26th 05, 12:47 AM
dave

Default false SMART indication.

Good evening, this problem continue always worst...
what I realize is that if I reboot without swithing off the power
works eveytime. If I shutoff than I've to start trying 20-30 times...
where can I try to do something? difficult to live like this...
thanks.
david

*Hi,
*since one year, my asus L8400B laptop has a strange problem: at boot
*says that SMART indicates imminent failure and the boot stops.
*impossible to disable smart feature from the BIOS. month after month
*the problem happens much more often, sometimes needing to restart
*20-30 times to make the system start. indcation is false, because
*disabling the smart support with the harddrive utility it happens
*anyway, and also it happens with different disks. when it happens
*floppy and cd-rom are not detected by the bios.
*I suppose it's a motherboard problem.
*any similar behaviour?
*thank you.
*
*david
Old April 26th 05, 02:48 AM
Wayne Morgan

I would try a different hard drive to see if it also displays the problem.
If not, then there is probably something wrong with the SMART reporting in
the hard drive. If it does, then there is something wrong with the
motherboard's detection of this. You may see if there is a newer BIOS for
the motherboard or try reflashing the current BIOS (if it is the newest) in
case it got corrupted somehow.

--
Wayne Morgan

Old April 26th 05, 07:26 PM
GlowingBlueMist

. ..

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

It might also be worth a try to replace the motherboard to hard drive data
cable.

Old April 27th 05, 09:54 PM
Wayne Morgan

You're correct, but I don't think that most laptops have one.

--
Wayne Morgan

false SMART indication dave General 4 April 9th 05 09:20 PM
SMART false alarms? Tom Del Rosso Storage (alternative) 0 January 21st 05 01:05 AM
Critical errors? ATA Error Count Al Bogner Storage (alternative) 0 June 13th 04 12:14 PM
hdd dying ? Burzek Storage (alternative) 3 January 28th 04 10:56 AM