Compaq Deskpro 386s model 2530

Old April 15th 05, 06:29 AM

Default Compaq Deskpro 386s model 2530

I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s

From what I can see on this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015149.jpg it must be
the 2530 model.

The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
would perform better with 12MB.

From this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015136.jpg it appears
the max memory in this machine is 13 MB, I don't know if I need a
memory expansion board or if I just need memory chips. There appears to
be some card which might or might not be the memory expansion board
(look at this pictu
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015124.jpg )

I don't know what type of memory I need. It's for sure not 30-pin SIMMs
or 72-pin SIMMs.

The other issue is the hard disk. From what I can see on this pictu
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015133.jpg this machine
only supports a handful of "types". I guess this means I can't just use
any 540 MB IDE drive I might have around. Also, I don't even know if
this machine uses IDE drives or "other" (ESDI ?) drives....

If anybody could help, I would be very glad.

Thank you,
Daniel

Old April 15th 05, 08:13 PM
Stanley Reynolds

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s

From what I can see on this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015149.jpg it must be
the 2530 model.

The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
would perform better with 12MB.

From this picture

[...]

Several companies made ISA memory expansion boards if you could find one it
maybe a little slow but still work. You should be able to install a larger
disk and use a product like disk manager to map it correctly note you would
need and old version of this software as the version they sell now doesn't
support 386 CPU. Which OS are you planing to use ? From a economic stand
point you should be able to buy a used computer for much less than $25 than
would be better choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Old April 16th 05, 12:41 AM
Kevin Childers

As a second to this, I was just at EPC last week and Pentium (I) class
machines were going for about $50.00 w/o OS.

KC

"Stanley Reynolds" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s

From what I can see on this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015149.jpg it must be
the 2530 model.

The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
would perform better with 12MB.

From this picture

Old April 16th 05, 04:04 PM

I am planning to run Debian GNU/Linux. potato (release 2.2) will run on
8MB, albeit very slowly. woody (release 3.0) requires 16MB, and will
also be very slow on just 16MB.

The problem isn't actually economic , I just happen to collect
various "vintage" computers and try to run operating systems on them.
Indeed, you can find unexpensive Pentium-class computers. For instance,
on ebay.de, there's a bunch of Pentium-II @ 233 MHz machines with 128
MB RAM for 29 EUR.

Anyway I'd be glad if I could have more RAM on this Deskpro 386s.

Thank you,

Old April 16th 05, 08:22 PM
Stanley Reynolds

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planning to run Debian GNU/Linux. potato (release 2.2) will run on
8MB, albeit very slowly. woody (release 3.0) requires 16MB, and will
also be very slow on just 16MB.

The problem isn't actually economic , I just happen to collect
various "vintage" computers and try to run operating systems on them.
Indeed, you can find unexpensive Pentium-class computers. For instance,
on ebay.de, there's a bunch of Pentium-II @ 233 MHz machines with 128
MB RAM for 29 EUR.

Anyway I'd be glad if I could have more RAM on this Deskpro 386s.

Thank you,

In that case four options come to mind:

1) Generic board like the Everex Systems EV-159 ISA memory expansion up to
16M.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WDVW&tc=photo
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WD1V&tc=photo

2) Find the compaq board that is for this model.

3) Stack extra memory chips on the back of the current chips. I have found
documation hard to find but you would need to figure how to address this
memory. goggle "piggyback chip memory expansion"

http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/vic20expansion/

http://www.webweavers.co.nz/system-8...memory_upgrade
(good ideas but wrong computer)

4) Replace current chips with bigger chips
http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/1.html

Would think option 1 is the only one I would try, but I did stack chips in
my old color computer three or four high.
Guess you could also make your own expansion board but that would be a long
shot.
Happy hardware hacking ...

Old April 18th 05, 04:57 PM

Thanks a lot.

What about this board:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5730246360

Regards,
Daniel

Old April 18th 05, 05:55 PM
Stanley Reynolds

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks a lot.

What about this board:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5730246360

Regards,
Daniel

No, that is for a ProLiant 3000 Server

Old April 18th 05, 06:04 PM
Stanley Reynolds

Look here for the possible memory expansion using standard compaq options:
http://configurator.memorystock.com/...s&modelid=1489

Old April 18th 05, 06:48 PM
Stanley Reynolds

"Stanley Reynolds" wrote in message
. ..
Look here for the possible memory expansion using standard compaq options:

http://configurator.memorystock.com/...s&modelid=1489

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...memory_id=1790

Another not sure either of these would work, do you have a 1meg expansion
borad in your system and does it have a part number ?

Old April 18th 05, 07:45 PM

At boot time the machine says it has 2 MB.
The Compaq Diagnostic diskette says there is 1 MB on the system board
and 1 MB on the expansion board.
Look at this pictu
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015124.jpg
Greetings,
Daniel

Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 17th 04 11:03 AM