Occasional monitor flicker

Old January 21st 04, 12:32 AM
Pete Williams

Default Occasional monitor flicker

I've got a recent problem with my Sony 200ES monitor, which has been
working fine for ages.

Ocassionally, i.e. once every 15-30 mins during use, it flickers, as
if the power has been turned off for half a second and back on again.

I also notice something else when I shut down the PC, and the monitor
goes to standby: I hear the quiet 'crackling' of the static for a few
seconds as normal, but then the static sound repeats, several times. I
now switch the monitor off to avoid this, but I have a feeling it's
unwell.

Any advice? Do I need a new monitor?

Pete

Old January 21st 04, 10:19 PM
Pete Williams

"DaveW" wrote in message news:YUjPb.109350$xy6.301833@attbi_s02...
Sorry, but your monitor is warning you that it's about to give up the ghost.

--
DaveW

Hmmm, I was hoping someone might have a more technical opinion, i.e.
what might be wrong with it and whether it would be fixable. Any
thoughts?
Old January 22nd 04, 12:20 AM
John J

"Pete Williams" wrote in message
om...
I've got a recent problem with my Sony 200ES monitor, which has been
working fine for ages.

Ocassionally, i.e. once every 15-30 mins during use, it flickers, as
if the power has been turned off for half a second and back on again.

I also notice something else when I shut down the PC, and the monitor
goes to standby: I hear the quiet 'crackling' of the static for a few
seconds as normal, but then the static sound repeats, several times. I
now switch the monitor off to avoid this, but I have a feeling it's
unwell.

Any advice? Do I need a new monitor?

Pete

Besides the possibility of the monitor indicating some problems it could
also be that your graphics card is getting too hot. This happened to me at
work where every 5 or 10 minutes the monitor would do just what you
describe, blink so bad it was almost like it was turned off for a split
second!. One of our IT guys was in our area and I pointed the issue out to
him, and he saw the "blink" and said the monitor could be ready to fail.
When I got a new monitor and it continued to "blink" I thought of the
graphics card. I had the resolution at 1152 x 864 and the refresh rate at
about 75 Hz. Now, I don't think this was an abnormal setting, but when the
machine is left on all night, the heat the card generates seemed to have
this effect on the monitor.

When I turn the machine off every night I don't have the problem. Plus I
lowered the refresh rate a little to a setting that didn't give me headaches
(where the "refresh wasn't visible - I'm surprised at the number of
non-computer people at work who have their monitor's refresh so low I can
see the blinking ( a different blink than the OP's effect) but they don't
notice it!)

So it could be your card just isn't giving you the performance you need or
you're pushing it too hard.

I don't think the static sound is a problem.

John