SP2 - need to update BIOS?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:06 PM
Steve

Default SP2 - need to update BIOS?

Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
ok?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:25 PM
Ted Zieglar aka \Rocky\

Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.

SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
recommendation.

If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
process is safe. The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the update
is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight. Not permanently, but
it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS without
good reason. Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.

Now, will your computer work properly if you install SP 2 without updating
the BIOS? Probably, but I'm not qualified to say that definitively.
--
Ted Zieglar

Old September 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
Bob Levine

Steve wrote:

Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
ok?

What model is it and what BIOS version is it?

FWIW, I upgraded a Dimension 4500, 4550, 8100, 8200 as well as an
Inspiron 1100 with no issues at all.

Bob
Old September 2nd 04, 06:54 PM
Hans Eberding

Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:25:18 -0400 Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky" wrote:

If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
process is safe.

I have an (German) Dimension 8250 with BIOS-Version Dell A02. I
couldn't find any information on the German Dell site. Could you give
me some links for the English site to gather some information if an
upgrade is necessary and how it has to be done? Thank you.

Hans
Old September 2nd 04, 07:25 PM
Bill

"Steve" wrote in message
Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
ok?

I upgraded an 8200 to SP2 without changing the BIOS with no apparent problems.
(The thinking was if there were significant issues they would have popped up
by now.)

Bill

Old September 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Carolyn Taliaferro

I used a site to help update a computer today. I did not follow all of the
direction, but some. The update went well on my 8300.

Old September 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
History Fan

It's probably not necessary to update the BIOS unless you're having
problems. That said, I wanted to try it myself with my Dell 2400. It came
preinstalled with BIOS version A02 and I downloaded and installed version
A05. Very easy.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:18 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Steve" wrote in message
Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
reason.

That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.

Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
ok?

It's necessary for SP2 if you have a Prescott CPU on a 865 or 875 chipset
mobo.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:21 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" wrote in message
Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.

That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.

SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
recommendation.

If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
process is safe.

And has been in most all cases for years now.

The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the

update
is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight.

NOPE, just a slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip.

Not permanently, but
it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS without
good reason.

Nope, just don't do it when/where a power outage may be pending.

Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.

The existence of a more recent BIOS is a good enough reason.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:23 AM
Ron Reaugh

"History Fan" wrote in message
It's probably not necessary to update the BIOS unless you're having
problems. That said, I wanted to try it myself with my Dell 2400. It

came
preinstalled with BIOS version A02 and I downloaded and installed version
A05. Very easy.

And quite safe with due caution.

Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM
Bios update for Inspiron 1100 Doug Mitchell Dell Computers 1 February 1st 04 09:42 AM
KG7 Bios Update William Baker Abit Motherboards 0 January 18th 04 08:49 PM
Trouble with Bios update P4C800 Deluxe Ralf Schmali Asus Motherboards 1 June 26th 03 02:48 PM