Audio Ports on Deskpro XE466

Old December 12th 04, 10:11 PM

Default Audio Ports on Deskpro XE466

How are the audio in/out ports on the Deskpro XE466 used. The is
something called Business Audio which is turned on in the Setup Utility
but there does not appear to be any way of controlling them. I've tried
searching the Compaq site to no avail. Can anyone help.

Regards,

Alec

Old December 13th 04, 07:22 AM

HH wrote:

Are the drivers loaded for the OS you are running?
HH

It's running DOS6.2/Win3.1. The Win 3.1 installation was done from
Original Compaq discs but I can't see anything that seems to be for it.
Would the drivers have been on a separate disc or with the original DOS
discs which I don't posses.

Regards

Alec
Old December 13th 04, 12:50 PM
HH

I see no Business Audio drivers for Win 3.1 for the DP XE466 on the
Compaq website. Are you sure the hardware is actually there?
Check the following URL and download the F10 Setup and Personal Computer
Diags SoftPaqs. They will create floppies to enter BIOS setup and run DOS
level hardware diags, including any audio hardware present:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...cate/1_93.html

In Win 3.1 and DOS, most of the audio driver support is in the individual
applications, not via OS drivers. Compaq Business Audio was designed to be
Soundblaster Pro compatible, so you might see if the individual apps have
drivers for that emulation.

HH

Old December 13th 04, 09:30 PM

Ken wrote:

Wasn't Business Audio an attempt at integrating office intercom into
the computer? I recall a LONG time ago I attempted to use it for a PC
sound system and even after getting the proper driver for the system, it
did not work. I will be curious as to how you make out.

Hi Ken,

I have just got it going though not as intended. Trying to find drivers
for DOS/Win3.x, which is what I wanted, was going nowhere so I put 95
on. After a few trials and tribulations with Plug and Pray I had the
sound working. As this machine originally came with Win 3.x there must
have been drivers for it, but where are they?

Regards,

Alec

Old December 14th 04, 07:31 AM

HH wrote:

As I said in an earlier reply,
"In Win 3.1 and DOS, most of the audio driver support is in the individual
applications, not via OS drivers. Compaq Business Audio was designed to be
Soundblaster Pro compatible, so you might see if the individual apps have
drivers for that emulation."
HH

My apologies, I just checked back through this thread and found the post
you refer to. I don't recall seeing it before and can only assume it
never came through here originally.

Regards,

Alec
Old January 24th 05, 07:06 AM

In case anyone is interested I finally got Business Audio going under
Win 3.1 sort of. The driver is at:

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...?driverid=5124

but the install does not recognize the sound chip. However is you look
at the readme, edit System.ini as it shows and add the files to
windows\system it does work, at least as far as system sounds.

Regards,

Alec