New to the group and have a question

Old November 12th 04, 07:40 PM
Budd Cochran

Default New to the group and have a question

I bought an older Compaq Deskpro indirectly off Ebay, but the dealer
can't give me much info about it, not even it's age.

The numbers on the cover a

DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
6848 CD47 B131

It's a Pent II system running Win98 and I wish to upgrade the RAM to 256 Mb.

The 64 Mb RAM chip installed is a Kingston KGM100x64C3/64. The chips I
bought from Upgradenation are 128Mb PC100 8NS 168pin SDRAM DIMM, but when I
plug them in I get no boot up, just beeps.

So how bad have I screwed up? Or can the bios be accessed and adjusted?
--

Budd

Old November 13th 04, 03:11 AM
Ben Myers

Also a small chance that the RAM is ECC registered, which won't work, too.

If the OP bought DIMMs with 8 or fewer chips/DIMM, they're likely double
densiity... Ben Myers

Old November 13th 04, 03:32 AM
Budd Cochran

I checked the memory invoice and there's no mention of being DDRAM, just
SDRAM.

I had hoped I could make an adjustment in the bios to handle them.

--

Budd

Old November 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Budd Cochran

Ok, I'm not very computer savvy, but I went thru the site at Upgradenation
and bought chips that were recommended to me in another computer NG . . .or
that's what I ordered, anyway.

So what does "ECC registered" and "OP" mean?

The chips I bought do have only 8 chips per side, but like I said, they were
what I was told to order.

If I could even get the RAM up to 128 Mb, it'd be a big help.

TIA

--

Budd

Old November 13th 04, 05:59 AM
Ben Myers

ECC registered is a type of DIMM used primarily in servers. "OP" is the
Original Poster. That's you.

8 chips on BOTH sides of each DIMM would be low density. 8 chips on ONE side
would be high density. They have different electronic signalling
characteristics, even tho they have the same physical connector.

High density DIMMs are incompatible with older motherboards, usually Pentium II
or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the speed of
the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus requirements. In
other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires PC133, or
with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben Myers

Old November 13th 04, 01:19 PM
Budd Cochran

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
ECC registered is a type of DIMM used primarily in servers. "OP" is the
Original Poster. That's you.

Duh, I shoulda guessed that . . . .BG Ugh, me need more coffee . .

8 chips on BOTH sides of each DIMM would be low density. 8 chips on ONE

side
would be high density. They have different electronic signalling
characteristics, even tho they have the same physical connector.

Ok, it looks they're high density chips. Darn.

High density DIMMs are incompatible with older motherboards, usually

Pentium II
or Celeron. Low density DIMMs will work in any motherboard where the

speed of
the DIMM is compatible with the processor and front-side bus requirements.

In
other words, PC100 DIMMs will not work in a motherboard which requires

PC133, or
with a Pentium III processor which has 133MHz front-side bus... Ben Myers

I used a program called "aida32" to find my computer info and it says the
system memory is "64 Mb (PC100 SDRAM)"

Now I'm really getting confused . . .I think I'll go back to weaving baskets
.. . .

I emailed Kingston, told them what's onboard and asked for suggestions . .
..maybe this is what I should have done in the first place. The Compaq site
can't seem to figure out what model I have but according to the aida32
program, it was built in '01.

Budd

Old November 13th 04, 03:08 PM
Ben Myers

The sticker on the case tells a lot:
DPEND-P450/10.0/N4C-6 US
6848 CD47 B131

DeskPro EN, 450MHz Pentium II or III, 10GB hard drive, large desktop case. I
suspect that the 2001 manufacturing date is perhaps a little too recent. More
like '99 or '00. To get a closer approximation of the manufacturing date, take
the cover off the case (again), and look for blue markings stamped on the cover
or somewhere inside the case. The markings show the date when the component was
manufactured.

Compaq once had a lookup by serial number, such as 6848 CD47 B131. But HPaq
seems to have taken that all away.

Aida32 identifies the date of the BIOS, which may well have had an update
produced in 2001, or at least date stamped 2001. (Some BIOS updates have poor
quality control and the BIOS programmers do not change supposedly superficial
things like date and version, but I suspect that Compaq was better than most in
this department.)

www.crucial.com continues to be an excellent source for buying memory on line
according to many who have done so. If you can exchange the memory you now have
for single-density, do so. As several of us have responded, fairly generic
single density memory should work just fine... Ben Myers

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:19:13 GMT, "Budd Cochran"
wrote:

[...]

. . .

Old November 13th 04, 10:04 PM
Budd Cochran

Ben,

You're a fount of knowledge! I thank you. With the model decrypted maybe I
can find out more on the HP/Compaq site. I remember seeing something like
how you re-wrote the model in a list on the site.

Here's goes nothing! Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

..