Presario 5852 Problems

Old August 7th 04, 11:30 PM
Dreamspinner3

Default Presario 5852 Problems

My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
this PC?

Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Old August 7th 04, 11:50 PM
Dreamspinner3

I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
wrote:

Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card in.

.. .

Old August 8th 04, 11:30 AM
HH

The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
HH

Old August 9th 04, 02:48 AM
Dreamspinner3

It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.

I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
support a card of that size.

What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.

My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
thought ME was better than 98 myself....

Old August 9th 04, 03:56 AM
Ben Myers

My concern about adding a 32MB graphics card to most any Presario is that the
Presarios most often use under-powered anemic power supplies. The nVidia
graphics chips draw a lot of power, and adding one may exceed the capacity of
the power supply. Unless there is a serious weakness in the design of the
motherboard, I doubt that it would have trouble supplying power to a graphics
card.

Just like any install of Windows XP, it is necessary to make sure there are XP
device drivers for EVERY chipset in the system, as well as printers, scanners
and other external devices. If XP is installed without some drivers,
performance is often crippled, or devices simply do not work at all.

.... Ben Myers

Old August 9th 04, 04:25 AM
HH

Uh, the 5852 shipped with a 16MB 2X AGP video card, a 3dFX Voodoo 3 - 1000.
Bump the RAM up to 384 and it should run XP fine with that video card. It
certainly did NOT come with a PCI video card.
HH

Old August 9th 04, 11:53 PM
Dreamspinner3

Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 7th 05 11:29 PM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM