Something accesses the hard disk every two sec (longish)

Old May 27th 04, 08:07 PM
Leachim Sredna

Default Something accesses the hard disk every two sec (longish)

Hi,
I was given an old Compaq Deskpro with a 350Mhz PII and 6 G Maxtor hard
drive, from which I removed the vestiges of NT4 and installed Win98.
It worked well enough with 196 M of PC100 RAM
But something regularly accesses the hard disk every two seconds or so,
like a clock or heart beat. And I just dont know what it is. The previous
user says it always did this, so I don't think it s anything acting thru
the Windows OS which is causing it.
I did not think this regular accessing of the disk mattered -- it simply
meant a little clicking noise and a blink of the led. Or so I thought.
Until after setting the puter up for a friend. I got into a bad series of
install/uninstalls of dodgy bloatware. After which I wanted to clean things
up a bit with Scandisk and Defragmenter.
It then transpired that the disk acessing would not allow Scandisk or
Defrag to get under way and complete.
What could be accessing the disk? Could it be coming from the BIOS? (One
of the first things I checked was that the MSWord feature FastFind was
indeed disabled and closed, so I dont think its that.)
I would be grateful for any thoughts on this one.
Michael Anders

Old May 27th 04, 08:20 PM
HH

Dunno about Deskpros, but on some Presarios of that era, Auto Insert
Notification on the CD-ROM drive(s) could cause the HD LED to flicker once
per second. Check in Device Manager in Windows and see if AIN is enabled.
HH

Old May 28th 04, 12:29 AM
Leachim Sredna

I'm intrigued HH.
Just what is AIM and how does one control/enable/disable it?
FWIW, I changed the original CD drive for a burner, but the accessing of the
HD has continued as before.
Thanks,
Leachim

"HH" wrote in message
Dunno about Deskpros, but on some Presarios of that era, Auto Insert
Notification on the CD-ROM drive(s) could cause the HD LED to flicker once
per second. Check in Device Manager in Windows and see if AIN is enabled.
HH

"Leachim Sredna" wrote in message
Hi,
I was given an old Compaq Deskpro with a 350Mhz PII and 6 G Maxtor

hard
drive

(snip)

Old May 28th 04, 02:10 AM
Frank346

Do a Google search for diskact.zip which is an old PC Mag utility that
identifies all disk activity. This was freeware but now PC Mag charges for
everything. The search should turn up a free copy.

Old May 28th 04, 11:25 AM
HH

With AIN (AIM is an accronym for AOL Instant Messenger) enabled, the PC
querries the drive once per second to see if a CD has been inserted. If
memory serves, this enabled the auto-run feature when it first was
introduced. On machines with it, you could enable/disable via Device Manager
by checking/unchecking a box.
It sometimes interferred with scandisk and/or defrag causing these utilities
to start over, and over, and over, ad nauseum. The issue was mainly with
Presarios made in late 1997 and early 1998, specifically, the 4800 and 4500
series machines.

Old May 28th 04, 11:33 AM
HH

You can get it free he

http://boyar.hypermart.net/main2.html

HH

Old May 28th 04, 12:42 PM
Leachim Sredna

Thanks all the replies. Reckon I'll lick it now,
Leachim

Old May 29th 04, 08:05 AM
Euclid

I've got that problem on my Compaq Presario S4020WM, Windows XP Home,
purchased from Walmart last summer. It was the autoplay feature of the
CD-ROM drive. When I turned that off, the problem stopped. So it appears to
be an ongoing problem with Presario machines, independent of the op system.
Here's the registry hack I discovered to fix it:

to turn autoplay on...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000001

to turn autoplay off...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000000

In other words, just change the dword value.
-E

Old June 1st 04, 07:07 AM
Mark

"Auto Insert Notification" means that the operating system will
regularly strobe the CD-ROM drive to see if a CD has been inserted. If
so, it will "auto-run" whatever startup program it finds (if there is
one) there. Besides the problem you may be having, I have it disabled
it myself because I prefer to be in control of what software starts
running and when it does so!

Try Start; Settings; Control Panel; System; Device Manager; the "+"
next to "CDROM"; double-click the CDROM drive listed there; select the
"Settings" tab; un-check the "Auto insert notification" box if it's
checked.

"Fast Find" and "auto insert notification" are the usual culprits.
Good luck!

"HH" wrote in message
Dunno about Deskpros, but on some Presarios of that era, Auto Insert
Notification on the CD-ROM drive(s) could cause the HD LED to flicker once
per second. Check in Device Manager in Windows and see if AIN is enabled.
HH

"Leachim Sredna" wrote in message
Hi,
I was given an old Compaq Deskpro with a 350Mhz PII and 6 G Maxtor

hard
drive

(snip)
something regularly accesses the hard disk every two seconds or so,
like a clock or heart beat

the disk acessing would not allow Scandisk or
Defrag to get under way and complete...

K8N - Wont shut down windows,hangs with hard disk LED on. Dan B Asus Motherboards 0 January 29th 05 10:42 AM
Usb Hard disk caddy JF General 4 January 3rd 05 06:41 PM
Hard disk failure and security lock [email protected] General 2 December 16th 04 12:02 PM
Problem with IDE hard disk on ASUS motherboard P2B-DS [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 August 28th 04 01:18 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM