Monitor question

Old March 10th 04, 07:21 AM
DJS0302

Default Monitor question

In the instructions for the monitor I just bought it says it big bold letters
"Always turn on the monitor before turning on your computer. This is very
important." Why is this important and what happens if you don't turn on the
monitor first?
Old March 10th 04, 09:56 AM
Bronney Hui

Nothing much really. Except that sometimes if you don't turn on the monitor
first, windows lose my screen modes (center off, size reset).

"DJS0302" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old March 10th 04, 12:16 PM
Erik Hegeman

"DJS0302" schreef in bericht
In the instructions for the monitor I just bought it says it big bold

letters
"Always turn on the monitor before turning on your computer. This is very
important." Why is this important and what happens if you don't turn on

the
monitor first?

Never seen that before... I think it sounds odd, because in my case (Philips
107E or Hansol 710A), when the monitor is turned on before the PC is, the
monitor clicks, goes on, degausses, finds out that there is no signal coming
from the PC and switches into standby-mode, just to come back on a few
seconds later when the PC is turned on. It almost seems more logical to do
it the other way round (PC first, then monitor)

Anyway, the on/off switch on the Philips monitor of my main computer doesn't
work very well, so I leave it always on. When the PC is off or is not being
used it switches to standby. Degaussing it every time you want to use it
doesn't seem really necessary either, (I keep hating that loud 'bzzzoing'
sound btw!)

Erik

Old March 10th 04, 10:07 PM
~misfit~

DJS0302 wrote:
In the instructions for the monitor I just bought it says it big bold
letters "Always turn on the monitor before turning on your computer.
This is very important." Why is this important and what happens if
you don't turn on the monitor first?

Dunno, that's a new one on me. I have to leave my monitor on as my KVM
switch gets it's power from the monitor. It just goes into standby if
there's no machine hooked up to it turned on. It actually *won't* turn off
hooked up to the KVM.
--
~misfit~

Old March 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Bubba

DJS0302's log on stardate 10 ožu 2004

In the instructions for the monitor I just bought it says it big bold
letters "Always turn on the monitor before turning on your computer.
This is very important." Why is this important and what happens if
you don't turn on the monitor first?

Techncally, you could burn DCC chip by not doing that, since there is
voltage on DSUB15 when you turn on your computer and there could come to
short circut. Practicaly, i've never seen that.

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 13th 04, 01:38 AM
Last Boy Scout

On 12 Mar 2004 23:16:23 GMT, Bubba wrote:

If it is a new monitor just leave it on all the time. Most monitors
have settings to make them go into power saving mode to keep from
using too much power when not in use. When the screen saver quits the
computer and the monitor should go into sleep mode.