isolating new clone drive for 1st bootup

Old February 25th 04, 08:31 PM
Rod Speed

Shailesh Humbad wrote in message

Well, not to spoil your little party, but I have used freeware, beta,
drive cloning software from xxclone.com to copy one drive containing
XP SP1a to a second drive on my computer. I booted off the target
drive without any major problems, even though I didn't disconnect any
drives. I just changed my BIOS to boot of the SCSI instead of the IDE.

That always works. The problem is when the original is removed,
you'll find that you cant CONTINUE to boot off the clone once
the original is removed because the boot is still trying to get
stuff off the original drive and it cant when the original is removed.

There were only a few glitches, but these existed even when the
cloning was done as prescribed by Speed, by disconnecting all other
drives. One little glitch was the bootup presented multiple boot
options for both the source and target drives, but these can easily be
removed using bootcfg or even better, msconfig. The other more major
one was that some user settings and shortcuts got clobbered, and I had
to reinstall or repair a small number of my programs.

Because you had both drives visible to the system
for the first boot after the clone had been made.

Thats the problem thats avoided by ensuring that the
OS cant see the original and the clone on the first boot.

kludge, fang, and arse are funny words

This is no laughing matter, boy.

Timothy Daniels wrote:
As Rod Speed has pointed out, the clone drive
resulting from a cloning of a WinXP system HD
should be the only drive with an a WinXP OS
on an active partition when booting it up for the
1st time. (Thereafter it can "see" and be "seen"
by another OS in the PC.) The hassle is that you
have to open the case, disconnect the cables to the
other drives, including the one that has just been
cloned, boot up the new clone, and then, usually,
open the case again and reconnect the other drives.

It would be a lot easier if one could just shut down
and then disconnect the other drives by use of a
physical switch to break the connection with their
power cables. That would avoid all the hassle of
opening the case and unplugging the other drives.

So, does anyone have any information that would
indicate if switching the power cables would work?

*TimDaniels*

Old February 25th 04, 08:35 PM
Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels wrote in
message ...

kludge, fang, and arse are funny words

"Kludge" is an Americanism as far as I know.
It was around in the late 50s/early 60s.

Yep.

"Fang" may be an Ozzyism,

Nope, its in Webster's and all yankee dictionarys.

"arse" is a Brit word.

Just spelling, spelt ass in yankeeland.

Our beloved Rod Speed seems to post from Western Australia.

Nope, Eastern Aust.

Old February 25th 04, 08:52 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Fang" may be an Ozzyism,

Nope, its in Webster's and all yankee dictionarys.

But not as a verb.

"arse" is a Brit word.

Just spelling, spelt ass in yankeeland.

Have you heard of Arsenio Hall?

*TimDaniels*
Old February 25th 04, 10:50 PM
Bob

Rod Speed wrote:
:
:Bob wrote in
:message ...
:
: I will soon be using Drive Image to clone the hard drive that my XP
: SP1A (NTFS) system boots from, on to a new drive. I also have other
: hard drives in my system used as data storage (non-bootable). I've
: cloned lots of boot drives before, but this will be my first one under
: XP SP1A.
:
: My past practice had me always swapping both the power and IDE cables
: from the source (the drive I just cloned) drive over to the new drive
: after the clone finished and before the first boot of the new drive.
:
: Question: Is this practice still OK?
:
:Yep. The only thing thats different with the NT/2K/XP family
:is that its important that the original and the clone boot drive
:arent visible to the OS on the first boot after the clone has been
:made. Thats fine after the first boot, just the first boot matters.

Thanks. Just to be sure I'm clear on this...it's OK if the clone boot
drive (the new one just made) is seen by the OS, correct? Just don't
let the OS see BOTH the clone AND the original drives at the same time,
right?

Thanks again,
Bob
Old February 25th 04, 11:58 PM
Rod Speed

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Rod Speed wrote:
:
:Bob wrote in
:message ...
:
[...]

Yes, thats the usual way to upgrade the boot drive to a bigger drive.

Just don't let the OS see BOTH the clone AND
the original drives at the same time, right?

Correct. And that is JUST for the first boot after the clone.
Once its booted off the clone, and asked for and been
given another boot for what it sees as new hardware, you
can THEN put the original drive back in the system and do
whatever you like formatting it to use it for data storage etc

Old February 26th 04, 12:58 AM
Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels wrote in
message news
Rod Speed wrote
Timothy Daniels wrote

Fang may be an Ozzyism,

Nope, its in Webster's and all yankee dictionarys.

But not as a verb.

Wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fang

"arse" is a Brit word.

Just spelling, spelt ass in yankeeland.

Have you heard of Arsenio Hall?

I hadnt, but have now, chased it up using google.

Old February 26th 04, 01:20 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" replied:
"Bob" asked:
Rod Speed wrote:
:Yep. The only thing thats different with the NT/2K/XP family
:is that its important that the original and the clone boot drive
:arent visible to the OS on the first boot after the clone has been
:made. Thats fine after the first boot, just the first boot matters.

Thanks. Just to be sure I'm clear on this...it's OK if the clone
boot drive (the new one just made) is seen by the OS, correct?

Yes, thats the usual way to upgrade the boot drive to a bigger drive.

Just don't let the OS see BOTH the clone AND
the original drives at the same time, right?

Correct. And that is JUST for the first boot after the clone.
Once its booted off the clone, and asked for and been
given another boot for what it sees as new hardware, you
can THEN put the original drive back in the system and do
whatever you like formatting it to use it for data storage etc

What causes the OS to see "new hardware". If the new HD
is the same make or the same make/model as that from which
it was cloned, will the OS see "new hardware"? In my experience,
the first boot of the new clone is the only one needed, and I
clone between the same make/model HDs, but their sizes are
different - which is reflected in the id which appears in the BIOS'
boot sequence.

*TimDaniels*
Old February 26th 04, 01:43 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Timothy Daniels commented:
Rod Speed wrote
Timothy Daniels wrote
Fang may be an Ozzyism,

Nope, its in Webster's and all yankee dictionarys.

But not as a verb.

Wrong.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fang

Here is your best shot, an obsolete Shakespearism or
an enablement as in "furnished with fangs":

fang
\Fang\ (f[a^]ng), v. t. [OE. fangen, fongen, fon (g orig. only in p. p. and imp.
tense), AS. f[=o]n; akin to D. vangen, OHG. f[=a]han, G. fahen, fangen, Icel.
f[=a], Sw. f[*a], f[*a]nga, Dan. fange, faae, Goth. fahan, and prob. to E. fair,
peace, pact. Cf. Fair, a.] 1. To catch; to seize, as with the teeth; to lay hold
of; to gripe; to clutch. [Obs.] --Shak.

He's in the law's clutches; you see he's fanged. --J. Webster.

2. To enable to catch or tear; to furnish with fangs. ``Chariots fanged with
scythes.'' --Philips.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

In short, "to fang" is only rarely used as a transitive verb in American
English,
as a search of Groups.Google.com will show. As a matter of fact, it's used
less frequently than "arse".

*TimDaniels*

Old February 26th 04, 02:02 AM
Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels wrote in
message ...
Rod Speed replied
Bob asked
Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Basically it uses a combination of the
hardware detail like the serial number.

If the new HD is the same make or the same make/model as
that from which it was cloned, will the OS see "new hardware"?

Yes, usually.

In my experience, the first boot of
the new clone is the only one needed,

Needed in the sense of not ending up with a boot that
involves files off both the original and the clone, sure.

and I clone between the same make/model HDs,
but their sizes are different - which is reflected in
the id which appears in the BIOS' boot sequence.

You'll find that it claims to have found new hardware
even if the drives are identical size and model too.

It can take a while to report that, one quirk of XP.

Old February 26th 04, 02:02 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Trent©" wrote:
I guess I missed the thread.

Then it's time to learn how to reset your news client
and download what's still on your news server for
this newsgroup. I expect that the entire thread is
still there.

*TimDaniels*