Samsung HD out of Panasonic recorder not recognized in PC

Old October 26th 12, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Samsung HD out of Panasonic recorder not recognized in PC

Hi everyone,

I have an Panasonic DMR-EH60, the harddisk of which has been
accidentally formatted.

I have some pretty good clues as how I could retrieve the lost data,
provided I can rip the data from the HDD.

Please note I *know* the filesystem is likely not FAT, neither plain
ext2/ext3, neither plain UDF. That's not the point at this stage. I
simply can't access the bits (sectors if you want).

The HDD is a Samsung HA200JC (PATA) and appears as a perfectly normal
commercial one for PC's.

But no way it got detected in my BIOS or an external enclosure. Of
course I messed around with all the usual 'slave'/'master'/'cable
detect' settings, but no help.

In my BIOS the model is recognized, but it doesn't get the geometry
parameters, making it useless.

Note also that the HDD is not defect : it works before and after in
the Panasonic recorder.

Desperately seeking for any clues.

Jon
Old October 27th 12, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo[_6_]

On 10/26/2012 01:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the problem is with your bios
however a bios call is *not* needed for an auxiliary HD...
the OS can detect it.

Turn the HD off on that bios channel than if you use Linux
see if gparted recognizes it

or if you use Windows, disk management

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
Old October 30th 12, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On 27 okt, 22:42, philo wrote:
On 10/26/2012 01:46 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thanks 'Philo'.

Of course Linux (and probably other OS'es) don't need the BIOS but for
booting. I overlooked that simple fact. The disk is flawlessly
recognized in Linux. (not the partition, but that I didn't expect at
all).
Old November 1st 12, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Oct 31, 9:51*am, philo wrote:
On 10/30/2012 01:52 PM, wrote:

On 27 okt, 22:42, philo wrote:
On 10/26/2012 01:46 PM, wrote:

snip
.

Note also that the HDD is not defect : it works before and after in
the Panasonic recorder.

Desperately seeking for any clues.

Jon

I don't know what the problem is with your bios
however a bios call is *not* needed for an auxiliary HD...
the OS can detect it.

Turn the HD off on that bios channel than if you use Linux
see if gparted recognizes it

or if you use Windows, disk management

--https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Thanks 'Philo'.

Of course Linux (and probably other OS'es) don't need the BIOS but for
booting. I overlooked that simple fact. The disk is flawlessly
recognized in Linux. (not the partition, but that I didn't expect at
all).

That's good news. Did you use gparted . Hopefully it *will tell you what
type of partition it is.

The next step of course would be to see if there is a Linux utility of
some type to unformat or "recover" the drive.

If OTOH gparted cannot recognize the partition type there is probably no
way to recover the drive...unless perhaps the mfg of the device can help you

--https://www.createspace.com/3707686

The drive was simply recognized at booting. Just got to look into /var/
messages to find it's /dev/ name.
Then I made an image of it (using dd) and on that image I applied
following tool :
http://sites.google.com/site/haliner/dvr-recover

My drive was recovered for about 95% !
(the missing 5% is next to sure because the friend who got the
'formatting accident' didn't stop immediately using the drive).

Once more thanks for your hint. I really was mentally blocked in the
very old assumption BIOS must recognize it before anything else can be
done.
Old November 1st 12, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 11/01/2012 03:32 AM, wrote:
On Oct 31, 9:51 am, philo wrote:
On 10/30/2012 01:52 PM, wrote:

On 27 okt, 22:42, philo wrote:
On 10/26/2012 01:46 PM, wrote:

snip
.

[...]

I am really glad you got the data back...I think you found an amazing
bit of software.

I do quite a bit of data recovery but never heard of that one...
of course , thus far I have never worked on a DVR

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

CD Recorder Theo Cdr 1 March 31st 08 01:30 PM
Panasonic , Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony lcd tv shop. [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 February 26th 08 10:26 PM
VoIP recorder (Ethernet phone recorder) J.Smith General 0 May 24th 05 05:50 PM
Recorder ? Jim Cdr 0 January 22nd 04 06:28 PM
Nero 5.5.1.1 and Panasonic DVR-105 recorder Patrick Flaherty Cdr 4 August 26th 03 08:31 PM