How to made XP add SATAII HDD to hardware list

Old February 23rd 08, 11:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
goo_lu1

Default How to made XP add SATAII HDD to hardware list

Previously my Western Digital SATA HDD had problem. I replaced a new
WD3200AAJS one from dealer. I connected that HDD to one SATA port in
my Gigabyte GA-8S655FX motherboard. The BIOS settings for SATA were
set as below:

Sis Serial ATA Controller [Enabled] (available options: Enabled or
Disabled)
Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] (available options: IDE or RAID)

After PC powered up. BIOS reported it detected the HDD.

However, as Windows XP Professional was running, I couldn't find the
SATA HDD from explorer.

I used System Management Tools - Computer Management - Disk
Management tool and forced it to scan new hardware but no new HDD
found.

Also, I used Device Manager - Drive icon and clicked to force
hardware change scanning. Still no new HDD found.

Although there exist probability that the new HDD was faulty but I
would like to ask what can I do further before I return it to the
dealer for another HDD ?

Tks!

PS: My motherboard has 2 SATA ports. I'd tried both of them but the
results were the same.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Rod Speed

goo_lu1 wrote:
[...]

Set the Sis Serial ATA Mode to IDE.

PS: My motherboard has 2 SATA ports. I'd tried both of them but the results were the same.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Eric Gisin

"goo_lu1" wrote in message
Previously my Western Digital SATA HDD had problem. I replaced a new
WD3200AAJS one from dealer. I connected that HDD to one SATA port in
my Gigabyte GA-8S655FX motherboard. The BIOS settings for SATA were
set as below:

Sis Serial ATA Controller [Enabled] (available options: Enabled or
Disabled)
Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] (available options: IDE or RAID)

You want IDE mode, then the Microsoft IDE driver will load.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
goo_lu1

On 2$B7n(B23$BF|(B, $B28a(B8$B;~(B50$BJ,(B, Arno Wagner wrote:
Driver installed?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storagegoo_lu1goo_...@ya hoo.com.hk wrote:

[...]
results were the same.- $Bp,i6Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

- $Bp}(Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

I remembered last time I installed the replaced disk no driver need to
be installed.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
goo_lu1

On 2$B7n(B24$BF|(B, $Be8a(B1$B;~(B09$BJ,(B, "Rod Speed" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

PS: My motherboard has 2 SATA ports. I'd tried both of them but the results were the same.- $Bp,i6Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

- $Bp}(Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -- $Bp,i6Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

- $Bp}(Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

Why ? I need a real SATA disk.
Old February 23rd 08, 10:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:
[...]

Why ?

To get it seen by the OS.

I need a real SATA disk.

That just controls how its seen by the OS, not how the hardware is done.

Old February 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Arno Wagner

[...]

The driver is not for the disk, but for the controller on
the mainboard. The disk does indeed not need a driver.

Arno
Old February 24th 08, 08:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
goo_lu1

On 2$B7n(B24$BF|(B, $Be8a(B1$B;~(B50$BJ,(B, "Eric Gisin" wrote:
"goo_lu1" wrote in message

... Previously my Western Digital SATA HDD had problem. I replaced a new
WD3200AAJS one from dealer. I connected that HDD to one SATA port in
my Gigabyte GA-8S655FX motherboard. The BIOS settings for SATA were
set as below:

Sis Serial ATA Controller [Enabled] (available options: Enabled or
Disabled)
Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] (available options: IDE or RAID)

You want IDE mode, then the Microsoft IDE driver will load.

Tks! The suggestion works. But I would like to know if the IDE option
has anything related to IDE i.e. will my SATA perform as SATA-I (the
board only supports SATA-I) HDD or its performance is no difference as
an ordinary IDE HDD ?
Old February 24th 08, 08:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
goo_lu1

On 2$B7n(B24$BF|(B, $Be8a(B9$B;~(B57$BJ,(B, Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]

Arno- $Bp,i6Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

- $Bp}(Ho0zMQJ8;z(B -

Tks, Eric is correct, only changing Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] enables
XP to recognize the HDD. I read the driver manual, it said driver is
needed if I want to install XP or 2000 on the SATA disk. I wonder
without the driver, will the SATA disk performs as a real SATA disk.